Обсуждение: context-switching issue on Xeon

context-switching issue on Xeon

От
"Sailer, Denis (YBUSA-CDR)"

The thread below has the test case that we were able to use to reproduce the issue.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-04/msg00280.php

The last messages on this subject are from April of 2005.  Has there been any successful ways to significantly reduce the impact this has to multi-processing?  I haven’t been able to find anything showing a resolution of some kind.

We are seeing this on two of our machines:

Quad 3.0 GHz XEON with 3GB of memory running PG 7.4.3 with SuSE kernel 2.4

Dual 2.8 GHz XEON with 2GB of memory running PG 8.0.0 with SuSE kernel 2.4

Re: context-switching issue on Xeon

От
David Hodgkinson
Дата:
FWIW, I'm seeing this with a client at the moment. 40-60k CS per second
on Dual 3.2GHz.

There are plenty of other issues we're dealing with, but this is
obviously
disconcerting...

On 19 Jul 2005, at 19:23, Sailer, Denis (YBUSA-CDR) wrote:

> The thread below has the test case that we were able to use to
> reproduce the issue.
>

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-04/msg00280.php
>

> The last messages on this subject are from April of 2005.  Has
> there been any successful ways to significantly reduce the impact
> this has to multi-processing?  I haven’t been able to find anything
> showing a resolution of some kind.
>

> We are seeing this on two of our machines:
>

> Quad 3.0 GHz XEON with 3GB of memory running PG 7.4.3 with SuSE
> kernel 2.4
>

> Dual 2.8 GHz XEON with 2GB of memory running PG 8.0.0 with SuSE
> kernel 2.4

Re: context-switching issue on Xeon

Дата:
"Sailer, Denis (YBUSA-CDR)" <Denis.Sailer@Yellowbook.com> writes:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-04/msg00280.php

> The last messages on this subject are from April of 2005.  Has there
> been any successful ways to significantly reduce the impact this has to
> multi-processing?

CVS tip should largely fix the problem as far as buffer manager
contention goes.

> I haven't been able to find anything showing a
> resolution of some kind.

Look at the Feb/March threads concerning buffer manager rewrite, clock
sweep, etc ... eg
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2005-03/msg00015.php

            regards, tom lane