Обсуждение: Spend 7K *WHERE*? WAS Intel SRCS16 SATA raid? and How to Improve w/7K$?

Spend 7K *WHERE*? WAS Intel SRCS16 SATA raid? and How to Improve w/7K$?

От
"Mohan, Ross"
Дата:
Sorry to blend threads, but in my kinda longish, somewhat thankless,
essentially anonymous, and quite average career as a dba, I have
found that the 7K would be best spent on a definitive end-to-end
"application critical path" test (pretty easy to instrument apps
and lash on test harnesses these days).

If it's "the disk subsystem", then by all means, spend the 7K there.

If the "7K$" is for "hardware only", then disk is always a good choice. For
a really small shop, maybe it's an upgrade to a dual CPU opteron MOBO, eg.
dunno.

If, however, in the far-more-likely case that the application code
or system/business process is the throttle point, it'd be a great
use of money to have a test report showing that to the "higher ups".
That's where the best scalability bang-for-buck can be made.

- Ross

p.s. having said this, and as already been noted "7K" ain't
     going to buy that much....maybe the ability to go RAID 10?

p.p.s  Why don't we start a PGSQL-7K listserv, to handle this EPIC thread? :-)