Re: Spend 7K *WHERE*? WAS Intel SRCS16 SATA raid? and How

От Steve Poe
Тема Re: Spend 7K *WHERE*? WAS Intel SRCS16 SATA raid? and How
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Ross,

I agree with you, but I' am the lowly intergrator/analyst, I have to solve the problem without all
the authority (sounds like a project manager). I originally started this thread since I had the $7k budget.

I am not a dba/developer. but I play one on t.v., so I can only assume that throwing money
at the application code means one understand what the bottleneck in the code and what it takes to fix it.

In this situation, the code is hidden by the vendor that connects to the database. So, besides persisent requests of
thevendor to improve the area of the application, the balance of tuning lies with the hardware. The answer is *both*
hardwareand application code. Finding the right balance is key. Your mileage may vary.

Steve Poe

>If, however, in the far-more-likely case that the application code
>or system/business process is the throttle point, it'd be a great
>use of money to have a test report showing that to the "higher ups".
>That's where the best scalability bang-for-buck can be made.

- Ross