Обсуждение: How can I Improve performance in Solaris?

How can I Improve performance in Solaris?

От
ingrid martinez
Дата:
I want to know, how can I improve the performance of postgres, I have a java class thar inserts register every 30 min but is very slow.
The process of postgres consume the 78% of CPU.

I have in /etc/system

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=0x50000000
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=0x100
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=0x10

Thanks

Ingrid

Re: How can I Improve performance in Solaris?

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:03:31AM -0500, ingrid martinez wrote:
> I want to know, how can I improve the performance of postgres, I
> have a java class thar inserts register every 30 min but is very
> slow.

What does the query do?  How is postgres configured?

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: How can I Improve performance in Solaris?

От
ingrid martinez
Дата:
The query that execute is only inserts, I use a batch of 300 and then do
commit.

insert into FLOWS values(?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)

and

postgresql.conf looks like this

#
# PostgreSQL configuration file
# -----------------------------
#
# This file consists of lines of the form
#
#   name = value
#
# (The `=' is optional.) White space is collapsed, comments are
# introduced by `#' anywhere on a line.  The complete list of option
# names and allowed values can be found in the PostgreSQL
# documentation.  The commented-out settings shown in this file
# represent the default values.

# Any option can also be given as a command line switch to the
# postmaster, e.g., 'postmaster -c log_connections=on'. Some options
# can be changed at run-time with the 'SET' SQL command.

#========================================================================

#
#       Connection Parameters
#
#tcpip_socket = false
#ssl = false

#max_connections = 32

#port = 5432
#hostname_lookup = false
#show_source_port = false

#unix_socket_directory = ''
#unix_socket_group = ''
#unix_socket_permissions = 0777

#virtual_host = ''

#krb_server_keyfile = ''

#
#       Shared Memory Size
#
#shared_buffers = 64        # 2*max_connections, min 16
#max_fsm_relations = 100    # min 10, fsm is free space map
#max_fsm_pages = 10000      # min 1000, fsm is free space map
#max_locks_per_transaction = 64 # min 10
#wal_buffers = 8            # min 4

#
#       Non-shared Memory Sizes
#
#sort_mem = 512             # min 32
#vacuum_mem = 8192          # min 1024

#
#       Write-ahead log (WAL)
#
#wal_files = 0 # range 0-64
#wal_sync_method = fsync   # the default varies across platforms:
#                          # fsync, fdatasync, open_sync, or open_datasync
#wal_debug = 0             # range 0-16
#commit_delay = 0          # range 0-100000
#commit_siblings = 5       # range 1-1000
#checkpoint_segments = 3   # in logfile segments (16MB each), min 1
#checkpoint_timeout = 300  # in seconds, range 30-3600
#fsync = true

#
#       Optimizer Parameters
#
#enable_seqscan = true
#enable_indexscan = true
#enable_tidscan = true
#enable_sort = true
#enable_nestloop = true
#enable_mergejoin = true
#enable_hashjoin = true

#ksqo = false

#effective_cache_size = 1000  # default in 8k pages
#random_page_cost = 4
#cpu_tuple_cost = 0.01
#cpu_index_tuple_cost = 0.001
#cpu_operator_cost = 0.0025

#
#       GEQO Optimizer Parameters
#
#geqo = true
#geqo_selection_bias = 2.0 # range 1.5-2.0
#geqo_threshold = 11
#geqo_pool_size = 0        # default based on #tables in query, range
128-1024
#geqo_effort = 1
#geqo_generations = 0
#geqo_random_seed = -1     # auto-compute seed

#
#       Debug display
#
#silent_mode = false

#log_connections = false
#log_timestamp = false
#log_pid = false

#debug_level = 0 # range 0-16

#debug_print_query = false
#debug_print_parse = false
#debug_print_rewritten = false
#debug_print_plan = false
#debug_pretty_print = false

# requires USE_ASSERT_CHECKING
#debug_assertions = true

#
#       Syslog
#
# requires ENABLE_SYSLOG
#syslog = 0 # range 0-2
#syslog_facility = 'LOCAL0'
#syslog_ident = 'postgres'

#
#       Statistics
#
#show_parser_stats = false
#show_planner_stats = false
#show_executor_stats = false
#show_query_stats = false

# requires BTREE_BUILD_STATS
#show_btree_build_stats = false

#
#       Access statistics collection
#
#stats_start_collector = true
#stats_reset_on_server_start = true
#stats_command_string = false
#stats_row_level = false
#stats_block_level = false

#
#       Lock Tracing
#
#trace_notify = false

# requires LOCK_DEBUG
#trace_locks = false
#trace_userlocks = false
#trace_lwlocks = false
#debug_deadlocks = false
#trace_lock_oidmin = 16384
#trace_lock_table = 0

#
#       Misc
#
#dynamic_library_path = '$libdir'
#australian_timezones = false
#authentication_timeout = 60    # min 1, max 600
#deadlock_timeout = 1000
#default_transaction_isolation = 'read committed'
#max_expr_depth = 10000         # min 10
#max_files_per_process = 1000   # min 25
#password_encryption = false
#sql_inheritance = true
#transform_null_equals = false

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:03:31AM -0500, ingrid martinez wrote:
> > I want to know, how can I improve the performance of postgres, I
> > have a java class thar inserts register every 30 min but is very
> > slow.
>
> What does the query do?  How is postgres configured?

> ----
> Andrew Sullivan                         204-4141 Yonge Street
> Liberty RMS                           Toronto, Ontario Canada
> <andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M2P 2A8
>                                          +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: How can I Improve performance in Solaris?

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 11:17, ingrid martinez wrote:
> The query that execute is only inserts, I use a batch of 300 and then do
> commit.
>
> insert into FLOWS values(?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)

Any foreign keys on this table?  Triggers or Rules?

What kind of hardware do you have?  Anything else running on it?

Could you provide the header information from top?

Off the cuff, modify your postgresql.conf for the below and restart
PostgreSQL.

shared_buffers = 1000        # 2*max_connections, min 16
effective_cache_size = 4000  # default in 8k pages

Вложения

Re: How can I Improve performance in Solaris?

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 10:17:45AM -0500, ingrid martinez wrote:
> The query that execute is only inserts, I use a batch of 300 and then do
> commit.
>
> insert into FLOWS values(?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)

Are there any foreign keys, &c?

> and
>
> postgresql.conf looks like this

[ . . .]

The configuration is the default.  You'll certainly want to increase
the shared memory and fiddle with some of the other usual pieces.
There is some discussion of the config file at
<http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/annotated_conf_e.html>.
Unless the INSERTs are causing SELECTs, though, I can't see what
exactly might be causing you so much difficulty.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: How can I Improve performance in Solaris?

От
ingrid martinez
Дата:
Floes table looks like this

                        Table "flows"
        Column        |           Type           | Modifiers
----------------------+--------------------------+-----------
 flidload             | bigint                   | not null
 firsttime            | bigint                   |
 fldestpeeraddress    | character varying(30)    |
 fldesttransaddress   | bigint                   |
 fldesttranstype      | smallint                 |
 fldfromoctets        | bigint                   |
 fldscodepoint        | smallint                 |
 fldtooctets          | bigint                   |
 flfrompdus           | bigint                   |
 flid                 | text                     |
 flidrule             | bigint                   |
 flsourcepeeraddress  | character varying(30)    |
 flsourcetransaddress | bigint                   |
 flsourcetranstype    | smallint                 |
 fltime               | timestamp with time zone |
 fltopdus             | bigint                   |
 lasttime             | bigint                   |
 sourceinterface      | smallint                 |
 destinterface        | smallint                 |
 sourceasn            | smallint                 |
 destasn              | smallint                 |
Primary key: flows_pkey

insert into FLOWS values(?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)

> [...]

> Are there any foreign keys, &c?
>

> > and
> >
> > postgresql.conf looks like this
>
> [ . . .]
>
> The configuration is the default.  You'll certainly want to increase
> the shared memory and fiddle with some of the other usual pieces.
> There is some discussion of the config file at

<http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/annotated_conf_e.html>.
> Unless the INSERTs are causing SELECTs, though, I can't see what
> exactly might be causing you so much difficulty.

> ----
> Andrew Sullivan                         204-4141 Yonge Street
> Liberty RMS                           Toronto, Ontario Canada
> <andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M2P 2A8
>                                          +1 416 646 3304 x110

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: How can I Improve performance in Solaris?

"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, ingrid martinez wrote:

> Floes table looks like this
>
>                         Table "flows"
>         Column        |           Type           | Modifiers
> ----------------------+--------------------------+-----------
>  flidload             | bigint                   | not null
>  firsttime            | bigint                   |
>  fldestpeeraddress    | character varying(30)    |
>  fldesttransaddress   | bigint                   |
>  fldesttranstype      | smallint                 |
>  fldfromoctets        | bigint                   |
>  fldscodepoint        | smallint                 |
>  fldtooctets          | bigint                   |
>  flfrompdus           | bigint                   |
>  flid                 | text                     |
>  flidrule             | bigint                   |
>  flsourcepeeraddress  | character varying(30)    |
>  flsourcetransaddress | bigint                   |
>  flsourcetranstype    | smallint                 |
>  fltime               | timestamp with time zone |
>  fltopdus             | bigint                   |
>  lasttime             | bigint                   |
>  sourceinterface      | smallint                 |
>  destinterface        | smallint                 |
>  sourceasn            | smallint                 |
>  destasn              | smallint                 |
> Primary key: flows_pkey

Which columns are in the pkey?