Обсуждение: Select Query Performance

Select Query Performance

От
"Ricky Prasla"
Дата:
Hi,
  I am running Postgresql 7.2.3 on a linux Qube with 256 RAM. I have a tabe
with about 100,000 records. The table has a postgis geometry column. I have
a GIST index on the table on the geometry column. Here are my questions:
1)When I do a spatial select query on the geometry column in this table it
takes a few seconds. What more can I do in terms of the Postgresql
configuration or query tuning besides adding the GIST index?

Here's a sample query I make:

Select [column] from [table_name] where [spatial_column] && [the geometry
object];

2)Also, I execute this query over the web. If there are mltiple select
queries then I have to execute one get its reultset and then send the other
one. Is there a faster way to execute multiple select queries over the web?

Thanks in advance.

Riyaz

Re: Select Query Performance

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
> 2)Also, I execute this query over the web. If there are mltiple select
> queries then I have to execute one get its reultset and then send the other
> one. Is there a faster way to execute multiple select queries over the web?

Going with the assumption the result-set is not used to generate further
queries, you might look into the use of Asynchronous connections.

It'll enable you to easily establish several connections to the database
for parallel work to be done.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=1&file=libpq-connect.html

Even PHP will let you use the Asynchronous query mechanism within
PostgreSQL.

--
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>

PGP Key: http://www.rbt.ca/rbtpub.asc