Обсуждение: Catalogs Doc update

Catalogs Doc update

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
- Link the entries in the table to the catalog heading
- Wrap them in the <database class="table"> tags, since thats what they
are (no markup rules for this, so it inherits from parent -- no style
change)
- Mention that pg_database, pg_shadow, and pg_group are global, and the
rest are local to the specific DB. (I believe this is correct).
--
  Rod Taylor

Вложения

Re: Catalogs Doc update

Дата:
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca> writes:
> - Mention that pg_database, pg_shadow, and pg_group are global, and the
> rest are local to the specific DB. (I believe this is correct).

This is already stated in the descriptions of those individual catalogs.
I don't see the point of saying it redundantly elsewhere; that just adds
another thing to have to maintain if we ever add more global catalogs.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Catalogs Doc update

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 00:19, Tom Lane wrote:
> Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca> writes:
> > - Mention that pg_database, pg_shadow, and pg_group are global, and the
> > rest are local to the specific DB. (I believe this is correct).
>
> This is already stated in the descriptions of those individual catalogs.
> I don't see the point of saying it redundantly elsewhere; that just adds
> another thing to have to maintain if we ever add more global catalogs.

How about the below then?  I've been asked by a couple of MSSQL experts
why they couldn't see all databases contents in the system catalogs.
There was also a docnote about this, so I think it's worth mentioning
they're local.

'Most of the system catalogs are copied during database creation from
the template database, as such are database specific.  Exceptions are
mentioned in the description of the individual catalog.'

--
  Rod Taylor

Вложения

Re: Catalogs Doc update

Дата:

Rod Taylor wrote:
> - Link the entries in the table to the catalog heading
> - Wrap them in the <database class="table"> tags, since thats what they
> are (no markup rules for this, so it inherits from parent -- no style
> change)
> - Mention that pg_database, pg_shadow, and pg_group are global, and the
> rest are local to the specific DB. (I believe this is correct).
> --
>   Rod Taylor

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Re: Catalogs Doc update

Дата:
Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca> writes:
> How about the below then?

> 'Most of the system catalogs are copied during database creation from
> the template database, as such are database specific.  Exceptions are
> mentioned in the description of the individual catalog.'

Works for me, though I suppose we could explain what the exceptions are
like in general terms.  Perhaps something like

'Most system catalogs are copied from the template database during
database creation, and are thereafter database-specific.  A few
catalogs are physically shared across all databases in an installation;
these are marked in the descriptions of the individual catalogs.'

            regards, tom lane

Re: Catalogs Doc update

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
> Works for me, though I suppose we could explain what the exceptions are
> like in general terms.  Perhaps something like
>
> 'Most system catalogs are copied from the template database during
> database creation, and are thereafter database-specific.  A few
> catalogs are physically shared across all databases in an installation;
> these are marked in the descriptions of the individual catalogs.'

Ok, new patch.

- Toms description
- links table entries to descriptions if they're in the same book.

--
  Rod Taylor

Вложения

Re: Catalogs Doc update

Дата:

Rod Taylor wrote:
> > Works for me, though I suppose we could explain what the exceptions are
> > like in general terms.  Perhaps something like
> >
> > 'Most system catalogs are copied from the template database during
> > database creation, and are thereafter database-specific.  A few
> > catalogs are physically shared across all databases in an installation;
> > these are marked in the descriptions of the individual catalogs.'
>
> Ok, new patch.
>
> - Toms description
> - links table entries to descriptions if they're in the same book.
>
> --
>   Rod Taylor

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster