Обсуждение: Very basic question from a beginner

Very basic question from a beginner

От
Jean MAURICE
Дата:
HI,

I am very new to PostGreSql and ODBC but an 'expert' in Visual Foxpro. I wanted
to try VFP as a client of PostGres. My laptop is under W7-64. I 'installed' the
ODBC driver via Stack Builder. All things seemed to work well but nothing
appears in th ODBC Sources Manager (I apologize I must guess the english names
from the french ones ...).

What have I missed ?

Thanks in advance.
Best regards
The Foxil

Re: Very basic question from a beginner

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 04/08/2012 07:03 AM, Jean MAURICE wrote:
> HI,
>
> I am very new to PostGreSql and ODBC but an 'expert' in Visual Foxpro. I
> wanted to try VFP as a client of PostGres. My laptop is under W7-64. I
> 'installed' the ODBC driver via Stack Builder. All things seemed to work
> well but nothing appears in th ODBC Sources Manager (I apologize I must
> guess the english names from the french ones ...).
>
> What have I missed ?

In my experience the ODBC driver is found under the Drivers tab in the
ODBC Data Source Administrator. To make it available you create a DSN
under either the User DSN or System DSN tab, where the data source is
available either to the user that created it or to the system,
respectively. This assumes you have the appropriate user privileges. The
DSN creation process allows you to choose the correct driver from those
listed in the Drivers tab.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: Very basic question from a beginner

От
Andreas
Дата:
Am 08.04.2012 16:03, schrieb Jean MAURICE:

> I am very new to PostGreSql and ODBC but an 'expert' in Visual Foxpro.
> I wanted to try VFP as a client of PostGres. My laptop is under W7-64.
> I 'installed' the ODBC driver via Stack Builder. All things seemed to
> work well but nothing appears in th ODBC Sources Manager (I apologize
> I must guess the english names from the french ones ...).
>
> What have I missed ?

As Adrian explained you would see defined Datasources (DSN) in the
Source Manager.
In such a DSN is all the information needed to reach a database.
So you create a DSN "my data" and describe there what driver to use,
host-address, db-name, user, password ...

Later in VFP you should be able to select one of the defined DSNs and
VFP knows all neccesary details.

BTW there are 3 types of DSN.
File based ... there is a textfile somewhere that holds the informations.
System DSN ... the admin defines a DSN that all users of the system can
access.
User DSN ... the user defines a DSN that only he himself can access.

Probaply you might be interested to figure out how you can access the
db-host without a pre defined DSN.
You can stuff all the details into a connection string and use this
instead of a DSN.
Basically that should be the same as what the DSN-Manager is doing for you.
The advantage is that you don't need access to the DSN-Manager on the
client system like when you give someone else an application. That way
he doesn't have to create a DSN or you don't need some fancy installer
that does it for him.

Re: Very basic question from a beginner

От
Jack Wilson
Дата:
Jean,

Also keep in mind that if you installed the 32-bit ODBC drivers on your 64-bit Windows 7 Machine, you need to use the 32-bit version of ODBC Administrator to view the DSN's.

For example, on my Windows 7 Box I create a shortcut to:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

...jack