Обсуждение: adding psqlodbc driver in ODBCconfig

adding psqlodbc driver in ODBCconfig

От
ricardd@mathstat.dal.ca
Дата:
Hello,
I'm using unixodbc on Linux (Ubuntu 6.06) and trying to add the pgsql odbc
driver. The tool I'm using is ODBCconfig. It requires an entry for the
driver (*.so) and another entry for the "setup file".

I've built psqlodbc from the latest source with the "--with-unixodbc" flag
and it correctly installs /usr/local/lib/psqlodbc.so and
/usr/local/lib/psqlodbc.la. However, there is no file called
"psqlodbcS.so" or something similar to act as the "setup file".

I can add the driver in ODBCconfig but I then get an error when trying to
add a system or user DNS. The error that I end up getting is that
ODBCconfig "Could not construct a property list for (drivername)".

What am I missing here?
Cheers,

Dan

Re: adding psqlodbc driver in ODBCconfig

От
Ludek Finstrle
Дата:
> I'm using unixodbc on Linux (Ubuntu 6.06) and trying to add the pgsql odbc
> driver. The tool I'm using is ODBCconfig. It requires an entry for the
> driver (*.so) and another entry for the "setup file".

The "setup file" is unixODBC enhancement which isn't supported by us.
If you need only basic settings feel free to use *S.so for PostgreSQL
from unixodbc distribution. But there are more settings (and more
values) in current psqlODBC driver.

We're glad if someone write the support for it and he'll maintain it.
The needed information is in:
psqlodbc: dlg_specific.c, dlg_specific.h
unixodbc: DRVConfig/PostgreSQL

Regards,

Luf

Re: adding psqlodbc driver in ODBCconfig

От
ricardd@mathstat.dal.ca
Дата:
Hi,
Just a point of clarification then. Are there 2 different odbc drivers for
postgresql in Linux, one from you and one from the unixodbc package?

Still, I can't seem to find the right resources from unixodbc and still
can't connect to postgresql through odbc. I'll post a similar query on the
unixodbc-support mailing list.
Cheers,

Dan

>> I'm using unixodbc on Linux (Ubuntu 6.06) and trying to add the pgsql
>> odbc
>> driver. The tool I'm using is ODBCconfig. It requires an entry for the
>> driver (*.so) and another entry for the "setup file".
>
> The "setup file" is unixODBC enhancement which isn't supported by us.
> If you need only basic settings feel free to use *S.so for PostgreSQL
> from unixodbc distribution. But there are more settings (and more
> values) in current psqlODBC driver.
>
> We're glad if someone write the support for it and he'll maintain it.
> The needed information is in:
> psqlodbc: dlg_specific.c, dlg_specific.h
> unixodbc: DRVConfig/PostgreSQL
>
> Regards,
>
> Luf

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: adding psqlodbc driver in ODBCconfig

Дата:
ricardd@mathstat.dal.ca writes:
> Just a point of clarification then. Are there 2 different odbc drivers for
> postgresql in Linux, one from you and one from the unixodbc package?

There is a seriously obsolete postgres driver embedded in the unixodbc
source code.  Don't use that one :-(

            regards, tom lane

Re: adding psqlodbc driver in ODBCconfig

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Tom Lane wrote:
> ricardd@mathstat.dal.ca writes:
>> Just a point of clarification then. Are there 2 different odbc drivers for
>> postgresql in Linux, one from you and one from the unixodbc package?
>
> There is a seriously obsolete postgres driver embedded in the unixodbc
> source code.  Don't use that one :-(

The Dapper unixODBC driver is: 08.01.0102

That isn't that old is it?

Either way, Tom is right, you should use either the driver from
odbc.postgresql.org or you could try ODBCng at
http://projects.commandprompt.com/public/odbcng

Joshua D. Drake

>             regards, tom lane

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

                      http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: adding psqlodbc driver in ODBCconfig

Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> There is a seriously obsolete postgres driver embedded in the unixodbc
>> source code.  Don't use that one :-(

> The Dapper unixODBC driver is: 08.01.0102

Oh?  unixODBC is at release 2.2.11 last I looked.

It could be that Ubuntu already pre-emptively nuked the old postgres
driver included with unixODBC --- which is something I have in mind
to do in the Red Hat release too ;-)

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> There is a seriously obsolete postgres driver embedded in the unixodbc
>>> source code.  Don't use that one :-(
>
>> The Dapper unixODBC driver is: 08.01.0102
>
> Oh?  unixODBC is at release 2.2.11 last I looked.

I was speaking specifically about the PostgreSQL ODBC driver for unixODBC.

The unixODBC package on Dapper is at 2.2.11-11build1 (whatever all that
means).

> It could be that Ubuntu already pre-emptively nuked the old postgres
> driver included with unixODBC --- which is something I have in mind
> to do in the Red Hat release too ;-)

The postgresql-odbc driver for Ubuntu (and Debian) is a completely
separate package I believe they pull right from us but I would have to
double check that.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

                      http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: adding psqlodbc driver in ODBCconfig

От
Ludek Finstrle
Дата:
> Just a point of clarification then. Are there 2 different odbc drivers for
> postgresql in Linux, one from you and one from the unixodbc package?

I can't say 2 different. unixodbc takes psqlodbc few years ago. So it
has obsolete psqlodbc driver. But they write theirs psqlodbcS.so which is
only for unixodbc settings purposes. That was I suggest in my previous
message.

> Still, I can't seem to find the right resources from unixodbc and still
> can't connect to postgresql through odbc. I'll post a similar query on the
> unixodbc-support mailing list.

How looks your odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini? It could be written by hand.

Regards,

Luf