Обсуждение: Access97/odbcUnicode/pgsql : unable to map text field to memo type

Access97/odbcUnicode/pgsql : unable to map text field to memo type

От
JGuillaume 'IoGuiX' de Rorthais
Дата:
Hello,

I use odbc unicode driver to link tables from my pgsql 8.1.3 server to Access97
SR2 (and latest jet engine 4.0 SP 8).

Everything is working well, even inserting row work without #deleted on update
(like with the ansi driver despite of serial PK on tables :s)

Actualy, one thing doesn't work properly. It's a well know issue, but I didn't
find how to correct it  (_and_I_read_lots_of_webpages_about_that_!_)

TEXT type in my pgsql database aren't map to memo type in Access. I don't mind
sorting, index or order on these fields, but I really need more than 255 chars
on them.

And, yes, checked the "text as LongVarChar" in the ODBC configuration.

Here the table I use for my tests :

CREATE TABLE test
(
  id serial NOT NULL,
  txt text NOT NULL DEFAULT ''::text,
  CONSTRAINT test_pkey PRIMARY KEY (id)
)
WITH OIDS;

I think you will find the complete ODBC configuration in the HUGE logs here :
http://ioguix.free.fr/pgsqllog.log

Please....help... (or point me in the right direction)

Thanks
--
+-----------------+
| IoGuiX          |

Re: Access97/odbcUnicode/pgsql : unable to map text field to memo type

От
Ludek Finstrle
Дата:
> I use odbc unicode driver to link tables from my pgsql 8.1.3 server
> to Access97 SR2 (and latest jet engine 4.0 SP 8).
>
> Everything is working well, even inserting row work without #deleted
> on update (like with the ansi driver despite of serial PK on tables :s)

You don't specify psqlodbc version. Does psqlodbc 08.02.0002 with
the latest dll replaced from:
 http://www.geocities.jp/inocchichichi/psqlodbc/index.html
work better?

Regards,

Luf

Re: Access97/odbcUnicode/pgsql : unable to map text field

От
JGuillaume 'IoGuiX' de Rorthais
Дата:
Hello,

Well, sorry, I forgot the odbc version, but I tried so many of them.
Yes I used
the 08.02.0002.

I just tried with the dll from inocchichichi (version as 7.3.2.75) but
it still
doesn't work...

Here the logs :
- http://ioguix.free.fr/mylog.log
- http://ioguix.free.fr/psqlodbc.log

Thanks, it's good to have some support...It's so long I am looking for some
workaround about bugs with odbc unicode or Access (w/ odbc ansi)...

Quoting Ludek Finstrle <luf@pzkagis.cz>:

>> I use odbc unicode driver to link tables from my pgsql 8.1.3 server
>> to Access97 SR2 (and latest jet engine 4.0 SP 8).
>>
>> Everything is working well, even inserting row work without #deleted
>> on update (like with the ansi driver despite of serial PK on tables :s)
>
> You don't specify psqlodbc version. Does psqlodbc 08.02.0002 with
> the latest dll replaced from:
> http://www.geocities.jp/inocchichichi/psqlodbc/index.html
> work better?
>
> Regards,
>
> Luf

Re: Access97/odbcUnicode/pgsql : unable to map text field

От
Ludek Finstrle
Дата:
> Thanks, it's good to have some support...It's so long I am looking for some
> workaround about bugs with odbc unicode or Access (w/ odbc ansi)...

I don't know what Access needs to recognize the data as MEMO. Has someone
an idea?
I have no Access installed on my computer. Please could you send
me sample .exe and data which reproduces the problem?

Regards,

Luf

Re: Access97/odbcUnicode/pgsql : unable to map text field

От
JGuillaume 'IoGuiX' de Rorthais
Дата:
Mh, looks impossible to join just a .exe without a part of Office pack :/
I just have my logs for you...

Anyway, indeed, mapping PgSQL Text type to Access Memo work fine with
the ANSI's
ODBC versions. But using the ANSI version require to much macro & VBA stuff to
workaround the #Deleted behaviour (that is an Access specific problem).

So, I resume :
- with Ansi version, I have to play with VBA & macro code because of
Access BUT
Text -> Memo type work fine ;
- with unicode version, Text -> Memo type is broken BUT I havn't the #Deleted
problem...

I put my log from ansi driver by inocchichichi here :
http://ioguix.free.fr/psqlodbc_ansi.log
http://ioguix.free.fr/mylog_ansi.log

Thanks for your help !

--
JGuillaume 'IoGuiX' de Rorthais

Quoting Ludek Finstrle <luf@pzkagis.cz>:

>> Thanks, it's good to have some support...It's so long I am looking for some
>> workaround about bugs with odbc unicode or Access (w/ odbc ansi)...
>
> I don't know what Access needs to recognize the data as MEMO. Has someone
> an idea?
> I have no Access installed on my computer. Please could you send
> me sample .exe and data which reproduces the problem?
>
> Regards,
>
> Luf

Re: Access97/odbcUnicode/pgsql : unable to map text field

От
Ludek Finstrle
Дата:
> Mh, looks impossible to join just a .exe without a part of Office pack :/

It's a pity.

> I just have my logs for you...
>
> Anyway, indeed, mapping PgSQL Text type to Access Memo work fine with
> the ANSI's
> ODBC versions. But using the ANSI version require to much macro & VBA stuff
> workaround the #Deleted behaviour (that is an Access specific problem).

The only difference I see is in type of 'txt' column.
ANSI:    SQL_LONGVARCHAR  (-1)
Unicode: SQL_WLONGVARCHAR (-10)

Let's try change Max Longvarchar size from 8190 to something higher
(at least 16380). If it doesn't help try change the Max Longvarchar
size to -4 (SQL_NO_TOTAL).

Maybe it helps or maybe it doesn't.

Regards,

Luf

Re: Access97/odbcUnicode/pgsql : unable to map text field

От
JGuillaume 'IoGuiX' de Rorthais
Дата:
...and it doesn't help...I tried with 20475 and -4 in the "Max Longvarchar"
field. Text field (txt in my table) is still mapped to the Jet text type
insteed of Memo.

But mystery is going deeper...
I use Jet 4.0 on my winXP SP2. I followed the instructions describes in
the last
paragraph here :
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B237994&x=19&y=12

...And we can read at this link :
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B214854&x=16&y=11 that :
ODBC SQL Type:SQL_WLONGVARCHAR
Precision:N/A
Scale:N/A
Jet 3.5 Type:Unsupported
Jet 40 Type:Memo

...I still trying to find some more info about that.

Many thanks for your support.

IoGuiX

Quoting Ludek Finstrle <luf@pzkagis.cz>:

>> Mh, looks impossible to join just a .exe without a part of Office pack :/
>
> It's a pity.
>
>> I just have my logs for you...
>>
>> Anyway, indeed, mapping PgSQL Text type to Access Memo work fine with
>> the ANSI's
>> ODBC versions. But using the ANSI version require to much macro & VBA stuff
>> workaround the #Deleted behaviour (that is an Access specific problem).
>
> The only difference I see is in type of 'txt' column.
> ANSI:    SQL_LONGVARCHAR  (-1)
> Unicode: SQL_WLONGVARCHAR (-10)
>
> Let's try change Max Longvarchar size from 8190 to something higher
> (at least 16380). If it doesn't help try change the Max Longvarchar
> size to -4 (SQL_NO_TOTAL).
>
> Maybe it helps or maybe it doesn't.
>
> Regards,
>
> Luf

Re: Access97/odbcUnicode/pgsql : unable to map text field

От
Ludek Finstrle
Дата:
> But mystery is going deeper...
> I use Jet 4.0 on my winXP SP2. I followed the instructions describes in
> the last

What about MS Access 2000? Isn't problem in Access 97 itself?
BTW It seems I'll have access to computer with MS Access installed.
I have no experience with it. Could you post me your test app?

Regards,

Luf

Re: Access97/odbcUnicode/pgsql : unable to map text field

От
"Bronto"

(Tested)Data type matching:
|       ACCESS                   |          POSTGRESQL     |
|     Text                            |    Varchar(255)     |
|     Memo                            |    Varchar(65535)   |
| Number: Integer                  |    Int 2                  |
|         Long Integer  |    Int 4                     |
|           Single                    |    Float 4             |
|           Double                    |    Float 8          |
|          Date/Time          |    TimeStamp        |
| AutoNumber: Long         |      Serial                  |
|          Yes/No (Boolean)  |    Int 2                |
|        OLE Object                   |   ByteA                |

ODBC Driver Settings:

--------
|Page 1|
--------

- Check "Disable generic optimizer"
- Check "KSQO..."
- Check "Recognize unique indexes"
- Set "Unknown sizes" to "Maximum"
- Check "Text as LongVarChar"
- Set "Max Varchar" to 255

--------
|Page 2|
--------

- Check "LF <-> CR/LF conversion"
- Check "bytea as LO"
- Check "True is -1"
- Set "Int8 As" to "double"

Make sure you use the ANSI driver

Hope it helps.

Re: Access97/odbcUnicode/pgsql : unable to map text field

От
JGuillaume 'IoGuiX' de Rorthais
Дата:
The more I find/read info, the more I thnk it's yet another Access issue...

Moreover, Greg Campbell in his answer confirm that.

Unfortunately, I am in a mixed network with win98/win2k and winXP.
I don't know if Office2000 could be installed on win98, but if not, I'll gonna
have a big problem to migrate the Access database to Postgres :s

Thanks to both of you for your help, I'll try monday with Office2000
and report
here what's append.

cheers,
--
JGuillaume 'IoGuiX' de Rorthais

Quoting Ludek Finstrle <luf@pzkagis.cz>:

>> But mystery is going deeper...
>> I use Jet 4.0 on my winXP SP2. I followed the instructions describes in
>> the last
>
> What about MS Access 2000? Isn't problem in Access 97 itself?
> BTW It seems I'll have access to computer with MS Access installed.
> I have no experience with it. Could you post me your test app?
>
> Regards,
>
> Luf

Re: Access97/odbcUnicode/pgsql : unable to map text field

От
Ludek Finstrle
Дата:
> Unfortunately, I am in a mixed network with win98/win2k and winXP.
> I don't know if Office2000 could be installed on win98, but if not, I'll
> gonna
> have a big problem to migrate the Access database to Postgres :s
>
> Thanks to both of you for your help, I'll try monday with Office2000
> and report
> here what's append.

Any progress?
BTW there is ANSI psqlodbc driver on Hiroshi page:
http://www.geocities.jp/inocchichichi/psqlodbc/index.html

Luf

> Quoting Ludek Finstrle <luf@pzkagis.cz>:
>
> >>But mystery is going deeper...
> >>I use Jet 4.0 on my winXP SP2. I followed the instructions describes in
> >>the last
> >
> >What about MS Access 2000? Isn't problem in Access 97 itself?
> >BTW It seems I'll have access to computer with MS Access installed.
> >I have no experience with it. Could you post me your test app?

Re: Access97/odbcUnicode/pgsql : unable to map text field

От
ioguix
Дата:
Yes, I had  problems...

I just had an Office2k CD today and I hadn't lot of time to make tests.

Presently, I just make a clean environnement : removed everything,
installed the psqlodbc 8.02.02 version without Hiroshi customed dll.

My test application work fine for text to memo mapping with the unicode
driver, but don't work anymore about the #deleted behaviour of Access
without vba stuffs :/

Maybe memo type arn't used by Access to check the record ?

I hope I will find some more time tomorrow to complete my tests.

Postgresql and more generaly database world really miss more
applications like Access...
Is anyone knows an application with at least easy an form design feature ?
Do you know some project I could join to give help (If I have the skills) ?
Does anyone would be interrested by such a project ?

Thanks.

--
+-----------------+
| IoGuiX          |

        -- Schmitter, Frédéric

Ludek Finstrle wrote:
>>Unfortunately, I am in a mixed network with win98/win2k and winXP.
>>I don't know if Office2000 could be installed on win98, but if not, I'll
>>gonna
>>have a big problem to migrate the Access database to Postgres :s
>>
>>Thanks to both of you for your help, I'll try monday with Office2000
>>and report
>>here what's append.
>

> Any progress?
> BTW there is ANSI psqlodbc driver on Hiroshi page:
> http://www.geocities.jp/inocchichichi/psqlodbc/index.html
>
> Luf

>>>What about MS Access 2000? Isn't problem in Access 97 itself?
>>>BTW It seems I'll have access to computer with MS Access installed.
>>>I have no experience with it. Could you post me your test app?

Re: Access97/odbcUnicode/pgsql : unable to map text field

От
Antoine
Дата:
> Postgresql and more generaly database world really miss more
> applications like Access...
> Is anyone knows an application with at least easy an form design feature ?
> Do you know some project I could join to give help (If I have the skills) ?
> Does anyone would be interrested by such a project ?

kexi, openoffice, pfm (?)...
There are lots. Google est ton ami :-).
Cheers
Antoine
ps. Access n'est pas une vraie base de données !

--
This is where I should put some witty comment.

Re: Access97/odbcUnicode/pgsql : unable to map text field

От
"Ben Trewern"
Дата:
When I know I'm going to use MS Access as a front end to a Postgresql
database I like to keep to the following guidelines:

- Use a serial number as my primary key on each table.
- Any text fields I need to search or index use varchar(<255)
- Turn "Row Versioning" and "Text as LongVarChar" on in the dataset options.
(I also use "Bools as Char" but I'm not sure if I need to).

Hope this helps.

Ben