Обсуждение: IBM VisualAge Smalltalk, ODBC, 8.0 Beta 4 and retrieving results with attribute values = NULL

IBM VisualAge Smalltalk, ODBC, 8.0 Beta 4 and retrieving results with attribute values = NULL

От
M.Feldtmann@t-online.de (Marten Feldtmann)
Дата:
Just as an information.

I just did some tests with IBM VisualAge Smalltal under Windows against the
PostgreSQL Beta 4 with ODBC drivers and the result is not that nice:

All the queries returns the right numbers of rows, but all attributes
have the
value NULL - which makes the query pretty useless.

I do not know the reason yet ....

Marten Feldtmann

Re: IBM VisualAge Smalltalk, ODBC, 8.0 Beta 4 and retrieving

От
Gary Doades
Дата:
Marten Feldtmann wrote:
> Just as an information.
>
> I just did some tests with IBM VisualAge Smalltal under Windows against the
> PostgreSQL Beta 4 with ODBC drivers and the result is not that nice:
>
> All the queries returns the right numbers of rows, but all attributes
> have the
> value NULL - which makes the query pretty useless.
>
> I do not know the reason yet ....
>
> Marten Feldtmann

What version of the PostgreSQL ODBC driver are you using? If you are
using the one that installs with Beta4 then this may (or may not) be
your problem. Can you retest with version 7.3.2.0 of the ODBC drivers
and let us know the results.

Cheers,
Gary.

Re: IBM VisualAge Smalltalk, ODBC, 8.0 Beta 4 and retrieving

От
M.Feldtmann@t-online.de (Marten Feldtmann)
Дата:
I tried them (7.3.2.0 - both legazy and unicode-beta) and they do not
even get loaded -
both VAST and OpenOffice give the same error:

SQL-Status: IM003
Error-Code: 160

BTW: The operating system is XP-Pro SP2

Marten

Gary Doades schrieb:

> Marten Feldtmann wrote:
>
>> Just as an information.
>>
>> I just did some tests with IBM VisualAge Smalltal under Windows
>> against the
>> PostgreSQL Beta 4 with ODBC drivers and the result is not that nice:
>>
>> All the queries returns the right numbers of rows, but all attributes
>> have the
>> value NULL - which makes the query pretty useless.
>>
>> I do not know the reason yet ....
>>
>> Marten Feldtmann
>>

> What version of the PostgreSQL ODBC driver are you using? If you are
> using the one that installs with Beta4 then this may (or may not) be
> your problem. Can you retest with version 7.3.2.0 of the ODBC drivers
> and let us know the results.
>
> Cheers,
> Gary.

Re: IBM VisualAge Smalltalk, ODBC, 8.0 Beta 4 and retrieving

От
Gary Doades
Дата:
Marten Feldtmann wrote:
> I tried them (7.3.2.0 - both legazy and unicode-beta) and they do not
> even get loaded -
> both VAST and OpenOffice give the same error:
>
> SQL-Status: IM003
> Error-Code: 160

There should be three drivers that install with the 7.3.2.0 installer

PostgreSQL
PostgreSQL Legacy
PostgreSQL Unicode (beta)

You should use the first one for maximum stability. I have never had any
problems with this driver. (Windows XP SP2 using .NET (C#)).

The error you are getting sounds more like a general ODBC driver
mananger issue, not specifically with PostgreSQL drivers.

Can you use any other ODBC driver for any database other than PostgreSQL?

Error IM003: "(DM) The driver listed in the data source specification in
system information was not found or could not be connected to for some
other reason."

Are you sure there are no other psqlodbc.dll copies on your system? The
8.0.02 drivers install into Program Files... while the 7.3.2.0 install
into Windows\System32

Cheers,
Gary.

Re: IBM VisualAge Smalltalk, ODBC, 8.0 Beta 4 and retrieving

От
M.Feldtmann@t-online.de (Marten Feldtmann)
Дата:
I've actually three ODBC drivers installed with the names you described.

PostgreSQL                              version 8.00.00.2
PostgreSQL Legacy                   no version
PostgreSQL Unicode (beta)       no version

Why has the standard driver a version number like this ? Is this the one
from the 8.0 beta 4 ?

And yes, I just switched the database in this project fom PostgreSQL to
SAPDB and used their 7.4 version (and ODBC drivers without problems).

Marten

Gary Doades schrieb:

> Marten Feldtmann wrote:
>
>> I tried them (7.3.2.0 - both legazy and unicode-beta) and they do not
>> even get loaded -
>> both VAST and OpenOffice give the same error:
>>
>> SQL-Status: IM003
>> Error-Code: 160
>>

> There should be three drivers that install with the 7.3.2.0 installer
>
> PostgreSQL
> PostgreSQL Legacy
> PostgreSQL Unicode (beta)

Re: IBM VisualAge Smalltalk, ODBC, 8.0 Beta 4 and retrieving

От
Gary Doades
Дата:
Marten Feldtmann wrote:
> I've actually three ODBC drivers installed with the names you described.
>
> PostgreSQL                              version 8.00.00.2
> PostgreSQL Legacy                   no version
> PostgreSQL Unicode (beta)       no version
>
> Why has the standard driver a version number like this ? Is this the one
> from the 8.0 beta 4 ?

Yes, this is the one from Beta4 and (for me) buggy. Depending on where
you have them, the 7.3.2.0 driver has not overwritten the beta4 one.

Cheers,
Gary.