Обсуждение: psqlODBC / install / WinXP

psqlODBC / install / WinXP

От
Stuart Kendrick
Дата:
i've downloaded the MSI version of the GBorg psqlODBC driver from
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/psqlodbc/genpage.php?downloads

and i've double-clicked on the resulting icon and installed it.

but i don't see this driver when i poked through the 'ODBC Data Source
Administrator' (Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Data Sources, Drivers
tab)

what am i missing?

--sk

stuart kendrick
fhcrc

Re: psqlODBC / install / WinXP

От
"Dave Page"

Did you have administrative permissions when you ran the installation?

Can you confirm whether or not the following registry key exists?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers\PostgreSQL

Regards, Dave

Re: psqlODBC / install / WinXP

От
Stuart Kendrick
Дата:
hi dave,

-yes, for better or worse, i log in with administrative privileges
routinely, and this was the case when i ran the install.

-i'm staring at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers
, with the window for 'ODBC Data Source Administrator' open on another
monitor ... and in fact, the list in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers is *identical*
to the list in the GUI tool ... except that the reg key has "(Default)" as
its first entry (whereas the GUI tool does not), and the reg key contains
three entries near the bottom, which the GUI tool does not:

PostgreSQL
PostgreSQL Legacy
PostgreSQL Unicode (Beta)

-so the GUI tool must be doing something more than simply reading the list
of entries at this key and displaying them ... since it is choosing to
skip the (Default) entry and the three PostgreSQL entries.  i notice that
the 'Data' field of each key is 'Installed' (except for the "(Default)"
entry), which is blank.

any insights appreciated,

--sk

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Re: psqlODBC / install / WinXP

От
"Dave Page"

OK, good.

> -i'm staring at
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers ,
> with the window for 'ODBC Data Source Administrator' open on
> another monitor ... and in fact, the list in
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers is
> *identical* to the list in the GUI tool ... except that the
> reg key has "(Default)" as its first entry (whereas the GUI
> tool does not), and the reg key contains three entries near
> the bottom, which the GUI tool does not:
>
> PostgreSQL
> PostgreSQL Legacy
> PostgreSQL Unicode (Beta)

OK, that's good (though you should see the last three entries in the
driver manager as well).

> -so the GUI tool must be doing something more than simply
> reading the list of entries at this key and displaying them
> ... since it is choosing to skip the (Default) entry and the
> three PostgreSQL entries.  i notice that the 'Data' field of
> each key is 'Installed' (except for the "(Default)"
> entry), which is blank.

Yup, that's normal.

> any insights appreciated,

Some things to check:

1) Do psqlodbc.dll, psqlodbc25.dll 9might be psqlodbc30w.dll) and
psqlodbc30w.dll exist in C:\Windows\System32 (or whereever your system32
directory is)?

2) Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ODBCINST.INI\, there should be reg
keys for 'PostgreSQL', 'PostgreSQL Legacy' and 'PostgreSQL Unicode
(Beta)'. Under each of those should be string values for 'Driver' that
point to the corresponding dlls.

Regards, Dave.

Re: psqlODBC / install / WinXP

От
Stuart Kendrick
Дата:
hi dave,

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>dir psqlodbc*
  Volume in drive C has no label.
  Volume Serial Number is E460-3235

  Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

10/22/2003  02:11 PM           331,776 psqlodbc.dll
10/22/2003  02:12 PM           307,200 psqlodbc25.dll
10/22/2003  02:13 PM           339,968 psqlodbc30w.dll
                3 File(s)        978,944 bytes
                0 Dir(s)   7,777,390,592 bytes free

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\PostgreSQL
Driver = C:\WINDOWS\System32\psqlodbc.dll

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\PostgreSQL Legacy
Driver = C:\WINDOWS\System32\PSQLOD~3.DLL\psqlodbc25.dll

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\PostgreSQL Unicode (Beta)
Driver = C:\WINDOWS\System32\PSQLOD~1.DLL\psqlodbc30w.dll

that "PSQLOD~1.DLL" directory doesn't exist.

ok, so i changed the value for 'Driver' in the last two keys, removing the
"\PSQLOD~3.DLL" bit.

the keys now look as follows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\PostgreSQL
Driver = C:\WINDOWS\System32\psqlodbc.dll

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\PostgreSQL Legacy
Driver = C:\WINDOWS\System32\psqlodbc25.dll

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\PostgreSQL Unicode (Beta)
Driver = C:\WINDOWS\System32\psqlodbc30w.dll

but i still don't see the 'PostGres' stuff in the GUI Tool... so i
rebooted ... no change.

curious, hmm?  i'm using WinXP with all the patches installed ...

--sk

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Dave Page wrote:

Re: psqlODBC / install / WinXP

От
"Dave Page"

Hi Stuart,

Hmm, how strange. OK, let's try this the simple way. Please uninstall
the driver and then check that those three files and the various
registry entries have gone. If they do not go, they can be manually
removed.

Then, download
ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/odbc/versions/snapshots/psqlodbc-07_05_0001
.zip, extract the files, and copy the .dll into your Windows\System32
directory. Finally, double click the .reg file to merge it into the
registry.

That's the simple, manual way to install the driver - if that doesn't
work, then there is something seriously wrong :-(

Regards Dave.

Re: psqlODBC / install / WinXP

От
Stuart Kendrick
Дата:
hi dave,

i like manual approaches ... gives me a chance to see more precisely what
might be going awry.

ok, i used the uninstaller from the 'Add/Remove Programs' Control Panel.
That resulted in the registry entries disappearing, but the three files in
c:\windows\system32 were still there ... so i deleted them.

then, i copied psqlodbc.dll from the psqlodbc-07_05_0001.zip file to
c:\windows\system32.  and double-clicked on the reg file to import it into
the registry.  now, i can see a 'PostgresSQL' key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\PostgreSQL

(Default)        REG_SZ        (value not set)
APILevel        REG_SZ        1
ConnectFunctions    REG_SZ        YYN
Driver            REG_SZ        PSQLODBC.DLL
DriverODBCVer        REG_SZ        03.00
FileUsage        REG_SZ        0
Setup            REG_SZ        PSQLODBC.DLL
SQLLevel        REG_SZ        1
UsageCount        REG_SZ        0x00000001 (1)

and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers
PostGresSQL        REG_SZ        Installed

and of course the file itself:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>dir psql*
  Volume in drive C has no label.
  Volume Serial Number is 2CC5-AF5A

  Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

07/21/2004  08:38 AM           356,352 psqlodbc.dll
                1 File(s)        356,352 bytes
                0 Dir(s)   2,326,204,416 bytes free

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>

but ... the GUI tool still doesn't display a 'PostGres' choice, when i
click on the 'Drivers' tab.

if you can think of another approach, do let me know.  but i'm guessing
that you have offered me all your tricks ... in any case, thank you for
your efforts on my behalf!

i've been wanting to use visio to document the schema in my postgres
databases ... i like visio and use it frequently for other tasks.  but i
bet that other tools exist, perhaps in the Unix world -- i'll go hunting
for them.

--sk

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Re: psqlODBC / install / WinXP

От
"Dave Page"

Hmm, I think I have. You only need a subset of what you have to get
listed in the ODBC driver manager normally - most of the registry
entries and the driver itself are not actually required (of course, it
won't work too well, but it should be listed). I can only think there is
something awry with the driver manager on your PC :-(.

> i've been wanting to use visio to document the schema in my
> postgres databases ... i like visio and use it frequently for
> other tasks.  but i bet that other tools exist, perhaps in
> the Unix world -- i'll go hunting for them.

Hmm, I use Visio a lot as well, but never had much success with it
documenting databases.

Regards, Dave.

Re: psqlODBC / install / WinXP

От
Janet Borschowa
Дата:
Hi Stuart,
Perhaps there's a problem with the names in the registry as PostgreSQL !=
PostGresSQL.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\PostgreSQL

^^^^^^^^^^^
(Default)        REG_SZ        (value not set)
APILevel        REG_SZ        1
ConnectFunctions    REG_SZ        YYN
Driver            REG_SZ        PSQLODBC.DLL
DriverODBCVer        REG_SZ        03.00
FileUsage        REG_SZ        0
Setup            REG_SZ        PSQLODBC.DLL
SQLLevel        REG_SZ        1
UsageCount        REG_SZ        0x00000001 (1)

and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers
PostGresSQL        REG_SZ        Installed
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

========================
Janet Borschowa
Software Engineer, Database Products
Rogue Wave Software, a QUOVADX(tm) Division
(541) 753-1931   FAX: (541) 757-4630
mailto:borschow@roguewave.com  http://www.roguewave.com

Re: psqlODBC / install / WinXP

От
Stuart Kendrick
Дата:
hi janet,

good eyes ... turns out, that was a typo in my e-mail ... the entries in
the registry are spelled consistent ... "PostGreSQL" ...

--sk

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Janet Borschowa wrote:

> Hi Stuart,
> Perhaps there's a problem with the names in the registry as PostgreSQL !=
> PostGresSQL.
>

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\PostgreSQL
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^
> (Default)        REG_SZ        (value not set)
> APILevel        REG_SZ        1
> ConnectFunctions    REG_SZ        YYN
> Driver            REG_SZ        PSQLODBC.DLL
> DriverODBCVer        REG_SZ        03.00
> FileUsage        REG_SZ        0
> Setup            REG_SZ        PSQLODBC.DLL
> SQLLevel        REG_SZ        1
> UsageCount        REG_SZ        0x00000001 (1)
>
> and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers
> PostGresSQL        REG_SZ        Installed
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> ========================
> Janet Borschowa
> Software Engineer, Database Products
> Rogue Wave Software, a QUOVADX(tm) Division
> (541) 753-1931   FAX: (541) 757-4630
> mailto:borschow@roguewave.com  http://www.roguewave.com

Re: psqlODBC / install / WinXP

От
"Dave Page"

Should be 'PostgreSQL'...

Regards, Dave

Re: psqlODBC / install / WinXP

От
Stuart Kendrick
Дата:
hi janet, hi dave,

ok, so ...

i change the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\PostgreSQL
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\PostgresSQL

and i change
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers
Name = PostgreSQL
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers
Name = PostgresSQL

and i close regedit ...

and i open the GUI tool ...

but i still don't see any 'PostGreSQL' or even 'PostGresSQL' entry in the
'Drivers' tab

... am i understanding your suggestion here accurately?

--sk

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Re: psqlODBC / install / WinXP

От
"Dave Page"

No, it should be:

PostgreSQL

No double S. I don't think it's going to help though - something is
clearly not right with your driver manager.

Regard,s Dave.

Re: psqlODBC / install / WinXP

От
Stuart Kendrick
Дата:
right, ok, that's where i started, with only one 's' in the name.  thanx
anyway,

--sk

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Dave Page wrote:

Re: psqlODBC / install / WinXP

От
mattandmel@gmail.com (Matt Ittigson)
Дата:
borschow@roguewave.com (Janet Borschowa) wrote in message
> Hi Stuart,
> Perhaps there's a problem with the names in the registry as PostgreSQL !=
> PostGresSQL.

I don't know if this was fixed on the FTP site, but I didn't have this
problem manually installing the 7.05 ODBC zip.  And, even with proper
capitalization, the problem persists.

Thanks for your help.

-matt

Re: psqlODBC / install / WinXP

От
mattandmel@gmail.com (Matt Ittigson)
Дата:
skendric@fhcrc.org (Stuart Kendrick) wrote in message news:<Pine.LNX.4.61.0407230842090.6916@vishnu.fhcrc.org>...
> right, ok, that's where i started, with only one 's' in the name.  thanx
> anyway,

I found a hacky fix.  If you create a key in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI named what you want the
datasource to be named which has some of string keys for the values (I
referenced the suggestions in the following url, but only did through
the ReadOnly entry) found here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=psqlodbc+odbc.ini&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&selm=03AF4E498C591348A42FC93DEA9661B884D2%40mail.vale-housing.co.uk&rnum=3

You can edit the settings using the GUI inside the ODBC Administrator.
 The driver still doesn't appear in the Drivers list, but you can edit
the DSN as you see fit, through the GUI.

Good luck.

> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Dave Page wrote:

I'm having the exact same symptoms and problems.  If anyone comes up
with a solution, please post it back here.  Are there any other ideas
out there?  I, unfortunately, do not have the luxury of looking for
other tools to satisfy my application needs.

Thanks in advance.

-matt