Обсуждение: odbc version

odbc version

От
Laurette Cisneros
Дата:
More on the continuing saga of our problem...

So, in our client application, we are getting today's date returned for
time fields.  After working with someone offline and sending logs, it turns
out that we are running ODBC 3.0 and the pgsqlodbc driver is not compatible with
that version.  I've tried to find on the website (odbc.postgresql.org) where it
says this but can't seem to find this information.

Anyway, I downloaded the trial pgsql driver for ODBC 3.0 and installed it
(manually per instructions).  Our client program now gets a segmentation
violation with this driver.

So, my questions are:

1) When will a final pgsql driver for ODBC 3.0 be out?

2) Is there a way to uninstall ODBC 3.0 and install a supported version of
ODBC (supported by this current psql driver)? If so, were can I find this
"older" version of ODBC?  We are running this on Windows 2000.

Thanks for the help,

--
Laurette Cisneros
(510) 420-3137

Re: odbc version

От
Hiroshi Inoue
Дата:
Laurette Cisneros wrote:

> 2) Is there a way to uninstall ODBC 3.0 and install a supported version of
> ODBC (supported by this current psql driver)? If so, were can I find this
> "older" version of ODBC?  We are running this on Windows 2000.

You don't have to uninstall the ODBC 3.0 driver if
you registered the driver using psqlodbc30.reg.
For example I can see both PostgreSQL and PostgreSQL30
driver using ODBC DatasSource Administrator.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Re: odbc version

От
Laurette Cisneros
Дата:
Then I am completely confused.  I thought that the pgsql driver does not
support ODBC 3.0.  Isn't that installed with the Windows?  Isn't that a
seperate package?  Don't I need to get a previous version of that?

My understandnig is that there are several elements involved here:

1) Client program,
2) ODBC,
3) postgresql driver

Which of these is what you indicated was ODBC 3.0?  Isn't it #2?

If so, then is there a way to replace that with a previous version?

It is with the trial postgresql driver (#3) that is compatible with ODBC
3.0 (#2) that we get the segmentation violation when trying to use it in
our client (#1).

Or am I way off here?

Thanks,

L.

--
Laurette Cisneros
(510) 420-3137
NextBus Information Systems, Inc.
www.nextbus.com
Passenger Information Everywhere

Re: odbc version

От
Hiroshi Inoue
Дата:
Laurette Cisneros wrote:

> Then I am completely confused.  I thought that the pgsql driver does not
> support ODBC 3.0.  Isn't that installed with the Windows?  Isn't that a
> seperate package?  Don't I need to get a previous version of that?
>
> My understandnig is that there are several elements involved here:
>
> 1) Client program,
> 2) ODBC,
> 3) postgresql driver
>
> Which of these is what you indicated was ODBC 3.0?  Isn't it #2?

Yes. However the driver is a trial one and it seems dangerous
to replace the current driver. So I separated the ODBC 3.0
driver from the current driver. From ODBC POV they are
different drivers and you have to create new DSNs for the
trial driver and so on ...

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Re: odbc version

От
Laurette Cisneros
Дата:
Forgive me, but I think either you are missing my point or I am missing
yours.  I need to ask some more questions, but I will do it one at a
time...

Is the trial driver (from the url you gave me) a trial *Postgresql* driver
for use with ODBC 3.0?

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

> Laurette Cisneros wrote:
> >
> > Then I am completely confused.  I thought that the pgsql driver does not
> > support ODBC 3.0.  Isn't that installed with the Windows?  Isn't that a
> > seperate package?  Don't I need to get a previous version of that?
> >
> > My understandnig is that there are several elements involved here:
> >
> > 1) Client program,
> > 2) ODBC,
> > 3) postgresql driver
> >
> > Which of these is what you indicated was ODBC 3.0?  Isn't it #2?
>
> Yes. However the driver is a trial one and it seems dangerous
> to replace the current driver. So I separated the ODBC 3.0
> driver from the current driver. From ODBC POV they are
> different drivers and you have to create new DSNs for the
> trial driver and so on ...
>
> regards,
> Hiroshi Inoue

Re: odbc version

От
Hiroshi Inoue
Дата:
Laurette Cisneros wrote:

> Forgive me, but I think either you are missing my point or I am missing
> yours.  I need to ask some more questions, but I will do it one at a
> time...
>
> Is the trial driver (from the url you gave me) a trial *Postgresql* driver
> for use with ODBC 3.0?

There are 2 drivers at the url.
  psqlodbc.dll the newest ODBC 2.50 driver(not a trial one).
  psqlodbc30.dll ODBC 3.0 driver (a trial one which
  was never announced to be offically supported).

Judging from your ODBC trace log you sent me, your
application is completely a ODBC 3.0 one. So I'd like
to see how my trial ODBC 3.0 driver works with you app.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Re: odbc version

От
Laurette Cisneros
Дата:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

> Laurette Cisneros wrote:
> >
> > Forgive me, but I think either you are missing my point or I am missing
> > yours.  I need to ask some more questions, but I will do it one at a
> > time...
> >
> > Is the trial driver (from the url you gave me) a trial *Postgresql* driver
> > for use with ODBC 3.0?
>
> There are 2 drivers at the url.
>   psqlodbc.dll the newest ODBC 2.50 driver(not a trial one).
>   psqlodbc30.dll ODBC 3.0 driver (a trial one which
>   was never announced to be offically supported).
>
> Judging from your ODBC trace log you sent me, your
> application is completely a ODBC 3.0 one. So I'd like
> to see how my trial ODBC 3.0 driver works with you app.

Yes.  I agree.  The trial ODBC 3.0 driver generates a "segmentation
violation" when we try to use it.

So, my second question is, is it the Microsoft ODBC that is version 3.0?

Thanks,

Laurette

Re: odbc version

От
Hiroshi Inoue
Дата:
Laurette Cisneros wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
>
> > Laurette Cisneros wrote:
> > >
> > There are 2 drivers at the url.
> >   psqlodbc.dll the newest ODBC 2.50 driver(not a trial one).
> >   psqlodbc30.dll ODBC 3.0 driver (a trial one which
> >   was never announced to be offically supported).
> >
> > Judging from your ODBC trace log you sent me, your
> > application is completely a ODBC 3.0 one. So I'd like
> > to see how my trial ODBC 3.0 driver works with you app.
>
> Yes.  I agree.  The trial ODBC 3.0 driver generates a "segmentation
> violation" when we try to use it.
>
> So, my second question is, is it the Microsoft ODBC that is version 3.0?

Please remember there's always an ODBC driver manager
between your app and the ODBC driver. Though your app
calls many ODBC 3.0 specific APIs, the driver manager
translates them into ODBC 2.50 APIs as much as possible
when you are using ODBC 2.50 driver via your DSN definition.
My trial ODBC 3.0 driver implements many(? at least not all
unfortunately) of ODBC 3.0 specific APIs and the driver
manager doesn't have to translate them.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue