Обсуждение: Diagnosing poor insert performance in production?

Diagnosing poor insert performance in production?

От
Kay
Дата:
Where can I look to if I'm trying to diagnose poor insert performance?

The database is behind a pgbouncer instance receiving on average ~1100
requests per second. It's read heavy, but has the occasional insert. I'd
estimate about 20-50 per minute.

In the past few days, we loaded a large amount of rows into the database
(about 5 million on one table, 5  million on another, etc.) and now insert
performance is poor on all tables... even tables that didn't get data loaded
into them.

I thought insert performance only went down when you try to concurrently
insert a lot of data, because each insert has to wait on the other in the
case of an auto-incrementing index. So I'm kind of lost here.... does anyone
have any clues of what I should be looking at?

Re: Diagnosing poor insert performance in production?

От
Wei Shan
Дата:
Hi,

Could you provide more details please for us to help.

1. table definition
2. insert command
3. explain plan

Thanks!

Where can I look to if I'm trying to diagnose poor insert performance?

The database is behind a pgbouncer instance receiving on average ~1100
requests per second. It's read heavy, but has the occasional insert. I'd
estimate about 20-50 per minute.

In the past few days, we loaded a large amount of rows into the database
(about 5 million on one table, 5  million on another, etc.) and now insert
performance is poor on all tables... even tables that didn't get data loaded
into them.

I thought insert performance only went down when you try to concurrently
insert a lot of data, because each insert has to wait on the other in the
case of an auto-incrementing index. So I'm kind of lost here.... does anyone
have any clues of what I should be looking at?

Ang Wei Shan

Re: Diagnosing poor insert performance in production?

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 10:26 PM, Wei Shan <weishan.ang@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could you provide more details please for us to help.
>
> 1. table definition
> 2. insert command
> 3. explain plan

Yeah,  as always, please follow the guide here.
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Slow_Query_Questions

In particular, often the very first thing to determine is if you are
facing a storage (aka: i/o) based issue.  Storage problems have a very
different set of resolutions.

merlin