Обсуждение: showing weekdays of dates

showing weekdays of dates

От
Jude DaShiell
Дата:
using sr pgdoc I searched for weekdays and though I found a few results I
couldn't parse from information provided how to get weekdays of dates to
populate a table in any fashion.  When I do more in depth analysis of
accumulating data sets, some of the analysis I'd like to do would be for
each of the seven weekdays during a period of time.  I ended up with a
script that does two date calls one for the iso date and the second for
weekday number and that script writes out the day's insert statement
correctly with the values it figures out and the values I supply.  The
whole system I have now is for health monitoring blood pressure and blood
sugar numbers and that's how my doctor gets my numbers for checking
progress.  It didn't take long to write, I like to improve it as I learn
new things with which I can improve it.

Re: showing weekdays of dates

От
Merlin Moncure
Дата:
On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> wrote:
> using sr pgdoc I searched for weekdays and though I found a few results I
> couldn't parse from information provided how to get weekdays of dates to
> populate a table in any fashion.  When I do more in depth analysis of
> accumulating data sets, some of the analysis I'd like to do would be for
> each of the seven weekdays during a period of time.  I ended up with a
> script that does two date calls one for the iso date and the second for
> weekday number and that script writes out the day's insert statement
> correctly with the values it figures out and the values I supply.  The whole
> system I have now is for health monitoring blood pressure and blood sugar
> numbers and that's how my doctor gets my numbers for checking progress.  It
> didn't take long to write, I like to improve it as I learn new things with
> which I can improve it.

Not completely following your question but perhaps to_char() function
is what you need:

ysanalysis=# select to_char(now(), 'Day');
  to_char
───────────
 Friday

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/functions-formatting.html

merlin

Re: showing weekdays of dates

От
Csányi Pál
Дата:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> wrote:
>> using sr pgdoc I searched for weekdays and though I found a few results I
>> couldn't parse from information provided how to get weekdays of dates to
>> populate a table in any fashion.  When I do more in depth analysis of
>> accumulating data sets, some of the analysis I'd like to do would be for
>> each of the seven weekdays during a period of time.  I ended up with a
>> script that does two date calls one for the iso date and the second for
>> weekday number and that script writes out the day's insert statement
>> correctly with the values it figures out and the values I supply.  The whole
>> system I have now is for health monitoring blood pressure and blood sugar
>> numbers and that's how my doctor gets my numbers for checking progress.  It
>> didn't take long to write, I like to improve it as I learn new things with
>> which I can improve it.
>
> Not completely following your question but perhaps to_char() function
> is what you need:
>
> ysanalysis=# select to_char(now(), 'Day');
>   to_char
> ───────────
>  Friday
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/functions-formatting.html

select to_char(date '2014-08-19','TMDay');

This gives the weekday name in locale that you have setup on your
operating system.

--
Regards from Pal

Re: showing weekdays of dates

От
Jude DaShiell
Дата:
this may help, originally I wanted the Day string to write out once a date
was entered followed by remaining fields.  That will not work now given
current structure of the health table.

cut here.
create table health (
date   date PRIMARY KEY,
Cystalic_Pressure    int NOT NULL, check (Cystalic_Pressure > 0),
--- cystalic pressure
Dyastalic_Pressure int NOT NULL, check (Dyastalic_Pressure > 0),
--- dyastalic pressure
Pulse int NOT NULL, check (Pulse > 0),
--- pulse
Blood_Sugar int NOT NULL, check (Blood_Sugar > 0),
--- blood sugar
weekday int NOT NULL, check (weekday > -1), check (weekday < 7)
--- weekday number saturday=6
);

cut here.
#!/usr/bin/env bash
# file: uhealth.sh - update ahealth.sql
# last update: 2014-08-02
f1=`date -I`
echo -n "enter cystalic: "
read f2
echo -n "enter dyastalic: "
read f3
echo -n "enter pulse: "
read f4
echo -n "enter blood sugar: "
read f5
f6=`date '+%w'`
echo "insert into health values ('$f1',$f2,$f3,$f4,$f5,$f6);" >>ahealth.sql