Обсуждение: Passing arguments to a function called by a trigger

Passing arguments to a function called by a trigger

От
Some Developer
Дата:
I have an INSERT AFTER trigger that runs on inserts into a specific
table. I'm not sure if the function automatically gets all the
information that was inserted into the table or whether you have to
manually pass it in?

If you do have to manually pass it in can someone point me to some
examples showing the correct syntax to use? I've read through the
PostgreSQL manual on C functions but most of the trigger examples don't
take any arguments unfortunately.

Also while I am on the subject can anyone recommend a good book on
stored procedure programming with PostgreSQL please? I use plpython2u
and C for my stored procedures if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Re: Passing arguments to a function called by a trigger

От
Andreas Kretschmer
Дата:
Some Developer <someukdeveloper@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an INSERT AFTER trigger that runs on inserts into a specific
> table. I'm not sure if the function automatically gets all the
> information that was inserted into the table or whether you have to
> manually pass it in?

NEW.<colum_name> is your friend ;-)

Andreas

Re: Passing arguments to a function called by a trigger

От
Some Developer
Дата:
On 27/07/2013 14:05, Andreas Kretschmer wrote:
> Some Developer <someukdeveloper@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have an INSERT AFTER trigger that runs on inserts into a specific
>> table. I'm not sure if the function automatically gets all the
>> information that was inserted into the table or whether you have to
>> manually pass it in?
>
> NEW.<colum_name> is your friend ;-)
>

> Andreas

Thanks for the tip. So I can just use NEW.<whatever> to get the values
inserted into the table from inside the function that is called by the
trigger?

Is there a corresponding OLD as well if I ever want to do a trigger on
an UPDATE?

Re: Passing arguments to a function called by a trigger

От
amulsul
Дата:
>Is there a corresponding OLD as well if I ever want to do a trigger on
an UPDATE?

Yes, you are correct.

ODL is variable holding the old database row for UPDATE/DELETE operations in
row-level triggers and NEW is holding the new database row.

To get to know more about trigger just follow the tutorial at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/A_Brief_Real-world_Trigger_Example

I am sure u get more idea about it.

Regards,
Amul Sul

Re: Passing arguments to a function called by a trigger

От
Luca Ferrari
Дата:
On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Some Developer
<someukdeveloper@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an INSERT AFTER trigger that runs on inserts into a specific table.
> I'm not sure if the function automatically gets all the information that was
> inserted into the table or whether you have to manually pass it in?

You have to read the trigger documentation, as already suggested.
Moreover here
(https://github.com/fluca1978/fluca1978-pg-utils/blob/master/bsdmag/03-server-side-programming/03-trigger-download_path-improved.sql)
you can find an example of triggers using also parameters passed at
the creation of the trigger (TG_NARGS, TG_ARGV).

Luca