Обсуждение: pg_ctl stop failure

pg_ctl stop failure

От
"Birchall, Austen"
Дата:
8.4.13 & PostGIS 2.0 on Red Hat 6

I want to do a offline backup of /var/lib/pgsql/data

But whenever I do

Pg_ctl stop

I get

-bash-4.1$ pg_ctl stop
waiting for server to shut down............................................................... failed
pg_ctl: server does not shut down

1. If I do

pg_ctl stop -m f

the cluster and databases shutdown as required but is this a clean and/or consistent shutdown of the cluster in the
sensethat I could recover from the OS

cp -r /var/lib/pgsql/data

command that I did?

2. Any ideas as to what could be causing the pg_ctl stop command to fail. I tried doing it again after a -m f stop
followedby a pg_ctl start but still no good.

Thanks

Austen Birchall
DBA
Met Office

Re: pg_ctl stop failure

От
Amit Langote
Дата:
On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 10:47 PM, Birchall, Austen
<austen.birchall@metoffice.gov.uk> wrote:
> 8.4.13 & PostGIS 2.0 on Red Hat 6
>
> I want to do a offline backup of /var/lib/pgsql/data
>
> But whenever I do
>
> Pg_ctl stop
>
> I get
>
> -bash-4.1$ pg_ctl stop
> waiting for server to shut down............................................................... failed
> pg_ctl: server does not shut down

This means you have clients connected to the database and server won't
shut down until all the clients have disconnected.

> 1. If I do
>
> pg_ctl stop -m f
>
> the cluster and databases shutdown as required but is this a clean and/or consistent shutdown of the cluster in the
sensethat I could recover from the OS

"-m f " mode disconnects those clients for you. pg_ctl Documentation
at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/app-pg-ctl.html
says:
"Fast" mode does not wait for clients to disconnect and will terminate
an online backup in progress. All active transactions are rolled back
and clients are forcibly disconnected, then the server is shut down.

So what you have is a consistent shut down with incomplete
transactions rolled back. By the way, could you see any active
connections while you tried stopping the server?

--
Amit Langote

Re: pg_ctl stop failure

От
"Birchall, Austen"
Дата:
Thanks for this - to be honest I didn't check but if I look at it now I get some transactions with

| 2013-05-17 15:08:25.973161+00 | <IDLE> in transaction
| 2013-05-17 15:08:25.745154+00 | <IDLE> in transaction
 | 2013-05-17 14:58:24.066386+00 | <IDLE> in transaction
| 2013-05-17 14:58:24.224678+00 | <IDLE> in transaction

Which I suppose I could kill using pg_terminate_backend() although if they are rollbacked anyway?

When I do pg_ctl start does PostgreSQL attempt to re-write them (from the WAL logs?) or as I suspect are they gone for
good?

Austen

> I want to do a offline backup of /var/lib/pgsql/data
>
> But whenever I do
>
> Pg_ctl stop
>
> I get
>
> -bash-4.1$ pg_ctl stop
> waiting for server to shut
> down...............................................................
> failed
> pg_ctl: server does not shut down

This means you have clients connected to the database and server won't shut down until all the clients have
disconnected.

> 1. If I do
>
> pg_ctl stop -m f
>
> the cluster and databases shutdown as required but is this a clean
> and/or consistent shutdown of the cluster in the sense that I could
> recover from the OS

"-m f " mode disconnects those clients for you. pg_ctl Documentation at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/app-pg-ctl.html
says:
"Fast" mode does not wait for clients to disconnect and will terminate an online backup in progress. All active
transactionsare rolled back and clients are forcibly disconnected, then the server is shut down.

So what you have is a consistent shut down with incomplete transactions rolled back. By the way, could you see any
activeconnections while you tried stopping the server?

--
Amit Langote

Re: pg_ctl stop failure

От
Amit Langote
Дата:
On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 12:21 AM, Birchall, Austen
<austen.birchall@metoffice.gov.uk> wrote:
> Thanks for this - to be honest I didn't check but if I look at it now I get some transactions with
>
> | 2013-05-17 15:08:25.973161+00 | <IDLE> in transaction
> | 2013-05-17 15:08:25.745154+00 | <IDLE> in transaction
>  | 2013-05-17 14:58:24.066386+00 | <IDLE> in transaction
> | 2013-05-17 14:58:24.224678+00 | <IDLE> in transaction
>
> Which I suppose I could kill using pg_terminate_backend() although if they are rollbacked anyway?
>

> When I do pg_ctl start does PostgreSQL attempt to re-write them (from the WAL logs?) or as I suspect are they gone
forgood?

When you did "pg_ctl -D <data-dir> -m f stop", they were gone. I
reckon you did that already, right?

Yes, since they are rolled back, they are gone for good.
What did you say about after starting the server back with "pg_ctl -D
<data-dir> start"?

--
Amit Langote

Re: pg_ctl stop failure

От
Andreas Schmitz
Дата:
It is not necessary to shutdown the database to take a filesystem level
backup. you might consider to use

pg_start_backup()

cp ...

pg_stop_backup()

Take a look at the documentation for further details

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/functions-admin.html

regards

Andreas

On 05/17/2013 05:00 PM, Amit Langote wrote:
> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 10:47 PM, Birchall, Austen
> <austen.birchall@metoffice.gov.uk> wrote:
>> 8.4.13 & PostGIS 2.0 on Red Hat 6
>>
>> I want to do a offline backup of /var/lib/pgsql/data
>>
>> But whenever I do
>>
>> Pg_ctl stop
>>
>> I get
>>
>> -bash-4.1$ pg_ctl stop
>> waiting for server to shut down............................................................... failed
>> pg_ctl: server does not shut down
>>
> This means you have clients connected to the database and server won't
> shut down until all the clients have disconnected.
>
>> 1. If I do
>>
>> pg_ctl stop -m f
>>
>> the cluster and databases shutdown as required but is this a clean and/or consistent shutdown of the cluster in the
sensethat I could recover from the OS

> "-m f " mode disconnects those clients for you. pg_ctl Documentation
> at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/app-pg-ctl.html
> says:
> "Fast" mode does not wait for clients to disconnect and will terminate
> an online backup in progress. All active transactions are rolled back
> and clients are forcibly disconnected, then the server is shut down.
>
> So what you have is a consistent shut down with incomplete
> transactions rolled back. By the way, could you see any active
> connections while you tried stopping the server?
>
> --
> Amit Langote

Re: pg_ctl stop failure

От
"Birchall, Austen"
Дата:
Amit

What I actually did was a

pg_ctl stop -m f

followed by

a pg_ctl start

then tried a 'simple'

pg_stop stop

but this hung again so there must have been 'new' connections coming in.

Austen

> Thanks for this - to be honest I didn't check but if I look at it now
> I get some transactions with
>
> | 2013-05-17 15:08:25.973161+00 | <IDLE> in transaction
> | 2013-05-17 15:08:25.745154+00 | <IDLE> in transaction
>  | 2013-05-17 14:58:24.066386+00 | <IDLE> in transaction
> | 2013-05-17 14:58:24.224678+00 | <IDLE> in transaction
>
> Which I suppose I could kill using pg_terminate_backend() although if they are rollbacked anyway?
>

> When I do pg_ctl start does PostgreSQL attempt to re-write them (from the WAL logs?) or as I suspect are they gone
forgood?

When you did "pg_ctl -D <data-dir> -m f stop", they were gone. I reckon you did that already, right?

Yes, since they are rolled back, they are gone for good.
What did you say about after starting the server back with "pg_ctl -D <data-dir> start"?

--
Amit Langote

Re: pg_ctl stop failure

От
"Birchall, Austen"
Дата:
Hi Andreas

Due to permissions associated with the ESRI 'system' user even in 9.* you can't do a simple restore from an online
backup- you have to restore public first- for 8.3 I have unable to get this solution to work hence going down the
offlineroute, which is actually not an issue as regards downtime for the particular databases I am working on at
present.

Austen