Обсуждение: Roles and passwds

Roles and passwds

От
"Birchall, Austen"

Hi

I created the following role

postgres=# create role sde LOGIN PASSWORD 'passwd' SUPERUSER NOINHERIT CREATEDB;

CREATE ROLE

postgres=#

However from the command line as the postgres user I can do

-

-bash-4.1$ psql -d testdb -U sde

psql (8.4.13)

Type "help" for help.

testdb=#

So logging on to the testdb database without entering a password.

Is this expected behaviour?

More importantly my colleague can connect to the database as the sde user via a client side GUI by entering any value in the password dialogue box.

Doing the following didn’t help:

testdb=# alter role sde  WITH PASSWORD 'passwd';

ALTER ROLE

testdb=# alter role  sde valid until 'infinity';

ALTER ROLE

How can I setup the passwd for the sde role?

Many thanks

Austen Birchall

Senior DBA

Met Office

Re: Roles and passwds

Дата:
"Birchall, Austen" <austen.birchall@metoffice.gov.uk> writes:
> I created the following role

> postgres=# create role sde LOGIN PASSWORD 'passwd' SUPERUSER NOINHERIT CREATEDB;

> [ but the password isn't used ]

> Is this expected behaviour?

It can be depending on how you have the server's authentication
configured (pg_hba.conf).  A password will only be used if the server is
configured to demand one for the particular connection attempt.  I
suspect you've got yours set to "trust" for local connections.  Read

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/client-authentication.html

            regards, tom lane

pg_restore - hangs or check on progress

От
"Birchall, Austen"
Дата:
8.4.13 on Red Hat 6

I am doing a backup/restore test of a 'quite large' database

I ran the following backup

pg_dump -Fc testdb -U postgres > /var/lib/pgsql/backups/pg_testdb_backups/testdb_dev_backup$date_of_backup

then I connected to postgres db and did
drop dbtest

I then attempted to do a restore:
pg_restore -d testdb -j testdb_dev_backup201304141900

starting yesterday afternoon but then I came in this morning it is still running and as far as I can tell no data or
Linuxfiles have been written
1.    Is pg_restore hanging and/or have I done something wrong?
2.    Is there a way to check on the progress (% completed) for the pg_restore procedure?
Thanks

Austen Birchall
Senior DBA
Met Office

Re: pg_restore - hangs or check on progress

От
"Birchall, Austen"
Дата:
OK

1. I found the -v option which I presume will show progress
2. I realised that I actually had to do a CREATE DATABASE for testdb before doing the restore.

The restore completed very quickly but I got the following errors - this is a postgis database

pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error while PROCESSING TOC:
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 4797; 0 31549 TABLE DATA a
              dmcntry_gl3m0ahcmp__st cor
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] COPY failed for table "admcntry_gl3m0ahcmp__st"
              : ERROR:  ESRI: error getting spatial references for srid = 13:
CONTEXT:  COPY admcntry_gl3m0ahcmp__st, line 1, column shape: "AA0400006400
              0000080010000D00000092120000010000008DAC92EEF4C7B40D92FBFBC88BCAA511DDFDBEB
                            0E103DCBDCEE0..."
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 4787; 0 30856 TABLE DATA b
              igash_st cor
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] COPY failed for table "bigash_st": ERROR:  ESRI
              : error getting spatial references for srid = 31:
CONTEXT:  COPY bigash_st, line 1, column shape: "910300005C000000080118001F
              000000B90D00000100000092C4F6A0AB199CE3C0DA931EB4BEC79101B59E92B001B4F8E512.
                            .."
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 4789; 0 30997 TABLE DATA bigeuhtpoly_st cor
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] COPY failed for table "bigeuhtpoly_st": ERROR:  ESRI: error getting spatial references for
srid= 32:
CONTEXT:  COPY bigeuhtpoly_st, line 1, column shape:
"D0B84600D92D09000800100020000000B8E2B5040100000091B8F6F2D61B9DBBCE96BF1EE8D9E702BF9AAA03C7A0E508A893..."
WARNING: errors ignored on restore: 3
-bash-4.1$

Anybody know what is happening here?

Austen

I am doing a backup/restore test of a 'quite large' database

I ran the following backup

pg_dump -Fc testdb -U postgres > /var/lib/pgsql/backups/pg_testdb_backups/testdb_dev_backup$date_of_backup

then I connected to postgres db and did
drop dbtest

I then attempted to do a restore:
pg_restore -d testdb -j testdb_dev_backup201304141900

starting yesterday afternoon but then I came in this morning it is still running and as far as I can tell no data or
Linuxfiles have been written
1.    Is pg_restore hanging and/or have I done something wrong?
2.    Is there a way to check on the progress (% completed) for the pg_restore procedure?
Thanks

Austen Birchall
Senior DBA
Met Office

Re: pg_restore - hangs or check on progress

Дата:
"Birchall, Austen" <austen.birchall@metoffice.gov.uk> writes:
> The restore completed very quickly but I got the following errors - this is a postgis database
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] COPY failed for table "admcntry_gl3m0ahcmp__st"
                : ERROR:  ESRI: error getting spatial references for srid = 13:

> Anybody know what is happening here?

I think pg_restore is not aware that the postgis support tables have to
be loaded up before geometric data can be restored.  (That whole area is
something that's been greatly improved since 8.4.)  I'd suggest
consulting the postgis docs or mailing lists as to the recommended
procedure for dump/restore on older versions.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_restore - hangs or check on progress

От
"Birchall, Austen"
Дата:
Thanks for this Tom, you're right as

The vendor docs (ESRI) state that I have to pg_restore for public first then do a separate one for the rest of the db

Austen

> The restore completed very quickly but I got the following errors - this is a postgis database
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] COPY failed for table "admcntry_gl3m0ahcmp__st"
                : ERROR:  ESRI: error getting spatial references for srid = 13:

> Anybody know what is happening here?

I think pg_restore is not aware that the postgis support tables have to be loaded up before geometric data can be
restored. (That whole area is something that's been greatly improved since 8.4.)  I'd suggest consulting the postgis
docsor mailing lists as to the recommended procedure for dump/restore on older versions.

            regards, tom lane

Another pg_restore question - indexes

От
"Birchall, Austen"

8.4.13 on Red Hat 6

I am doing a backup/restore test of a 'quite large' database

I ran the following backup

pg_dump -Fc testdb -U postgres > /var/lib/pgsql/backups/pg_testdb_backups/testdb_dev_backup$date_of_backup

Id I drop a table I can restore it by doing:

pg_restore -t i100 -d testdb -testdb_dev_backup201304141900

What's the best way to get the index backup?

Thanks again

Austen Birchall
Senior DBA
Met Office

Notification of minor release and/or Security Release

От
"Birchall, Austen"
Дата:
When minor releases and/or Security releases are made public are there any mechanisms in place for the automatically
notifyingthe community that they are available for download?

Thanks

Austen Birchall
DBA
Met Office

Re: Notification of minor release and/or Security Release

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On 8 May 2013 11:24, Birchall, Austen <austen.birchall@metoffice.gov.uk> wrote:

> When minor releases and/or Security releases are made public are there any mechanisms in place for the automatically
notifyingthe community that they are available for download?

Yes, support providers send out their own notices, but you should
subscribe to the Announce list (pgsql-announce)
http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/subscribe/

Re: Notification of minor release and/or Security Release

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата: