Обсуждение: select from pipe-delimited field

select from pipe-delimited field

От
san man
Дата:
Hello all,

I am trying to do a SELECT operation with a WHERE condition. However, the column with which I am trying to do the comparison has several values which are pipe-delimited. I want to return a match(true) if the WHERE condition matches any of the bar-delimited values.

For example, SELECT id WHERE synonyms = 'word';

Here synonyms is a pipe-delimited field and I want to match "word" with any of the values of the synonyms fields.

Thanks in advance.

Neel

Re: [GENERAL] select from pipe-delimited field

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 05:44:09PM -0500, san man wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to do a SELECT operation with a WHERE condition. However, the
> column with which I am trying to do the comparison has several values which
> are pipe-delimited. I want to return a match(true) if the WHERE condition
> matches any of the bar-delimited values.

You'll want to normalize this table into two or more tables, at some
point.

> For example, SELECT id WHERE synonyms = 'word';
>
> Here synonyms is a pipe-delimited field and I want to match "word" with any
> of the values of the synonyms fields.

Try the LIKE function.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/functions-matching.html#FUNCTIONS-LIKE

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: [GENERAL] select from pipe-delimited field

От
Arjen Nienhuis
Дата:
I am trying to do a SELECT operation with a WHERE condition. However, the column with which I am trying to do the comparison has several values which are pipe-delimited. I want to return a match(true) if the WHERE condition matches any of the bar-delimited values.

For example, SELECT id WHERE synonyms = 'word';

Here synonyms is a pipe-delimited field and I want to match "word" with any of the values of the synonyms fields.

SELECT id FROM t WHERE 'word' = ANY(regexp_split_to_array(synonyms, '[|]'));

With postgres it's possible to make an index on regexp_split_to_array(synonyms, '[|]')) for some extra speed. But its better to store the synonyms as an array in the first place.

Thanks in advance.

Neel

Re: [GENERAL] select from pipe-delimited field

От
san man
Дата:
Thanks for the replies.
David, I would have normalized it to 2 or more tables, but the number of bar-delimited are not fixed and as new data are added the maximum number of these values may change. Also, the problem with like I think is that matching is not strict and thus might give spurious hits.

Arjen's solution(haven't tried yet) looks better to me.

-Neel

I am trying to do a SELECT operation with a WHERE condition. However, the column with which I am trying to do the comparison has several values which are pipe-delimited. I want to return a match(true) if the WHERE condition matches any of the bar-delimited values.

For example, SELECT id WHERE synonyms = 'word';

Here synonyms is a pipe-delimited field and I want to match "word" with any of the values of the synonyms fields.

SELECT id FROM t WHERE 'word' = ANY(regexp_split_to_array(synonyms, '[|]'));

With postgres it's possible to make an index on regexp_split_to_array(synonyms, '[|]')) for some extra speed. But its better to store the synonyms as an array in the first place.

Thanks in advance.

Neel

Re: [GENERAL] select from pipe-delimited field

От
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 06:07:08PM -0500, san man wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.
> David, I would have normalized it to 2 or more tables, but the number of
> bar-delimited are not fixed and as new data are added the maximum number of
> these values may change. Also, the problem with like I think is that
> matching is not strict and thus might give spurious hits.

The fact that it's not fixed is irrelevant. just add table:

create table synonyms (
    word text,
    synonym text,
    primary key (synonymi, word)
);

and you're fine. you can have as many synonyms per word as you want.

depesz