Обсуждение: Inserting preset values into a serial column

Inserting preset values into a serial column

От
Michael Rowan
Дата:
PostgreSQL 8.4.4.1

Can someone pls confirm that, provided I am doing it right, I can insert a row into a table where the primary key is
serialNOT NULL and a (unique) value is provided in the offered data?  I cannot see an answer to this specific point in
thedocs.

TIA

Michael Rowan
mike.rowan@internode.on.net

11 Kingscote Street
ALBERTON
South Australia 5014

tel 618 8240 3993

Re: Inserting preset values into a serial column

От
Tim Landscheidt
Дата:
Michael Rowan <mike.rowan@internode.on.net> wrote:

> PostgreSQL 8.4.4.1

> Can someone pls confirm that, provided I am doing it right, I can insert a row into a table where the primary key is
serialNOT NULL and a (unique) value is provided in the offered data?  I cannot see an answer to this specific point in
thedocs.

Sure, just try it. You only need to make sure that after
your insertion the corresponding sequence will not collide
with your data, e. g., you will have to setval() the se-
quence to MAX(value) (+ 1?).

Tim

Re: Inserting preset values into a serial column

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
mike.rowan@internode.on.net (Michael Rowan) writes:
> PostgreSQL 8.4.4.1
>
> Can someone pls confirm that, provided I am doing it right, I can
> insert a row into a table where the primary key is serial NOT NULL and
> a (unique) value is provided in the offered data?  I cannot see an
> answer to this specific point in the docs.

Sure, it shouldn't present a problem.  You'd presumably also want to
change the value of the sequence that underlies this in order to point
it to a value beyond the range of the "offered data."  (Use the function
"setval()" to do this.)
--
Rules of the Evil Overlord #208.  "Members of my Legion of Terror will
attend seminars  on Sensitivity  Training. It's good  public relations