Обсуждение: 8.5 beta manual

8.5 beta manual

От
Mike Ellsworth
Дата:
Is the 8.5 beta manual available somewhere on the site?
If yes, I'd appreciate a link.

Thanks

--
Mike Ellsworth

Re: 8.5 beta manual

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Mike Ellsworth wrote on 23.01.2010 19:03:
> Is the 8.5 beta manual available somewhere on the site?
> If yes, I'd appreciate a link.
>
> Thanks

http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/index.html

Re: 8.5 beta manual

Дата:
Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> writes:
> Mike Ellsworth wrote on 23.01.2010 19:03:
>> Is the 8.5 beta manual available somewhere on the site?
>> If yes, I'd appreciate a link.

> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/index.html

It's worth pointing out that what that link actually is is the
up-to-the-minute documentation built from CVS HEAD.  So it might
describe some recent changes that are not in whatever alpha release
you are working with.  (There isn't any "8.5 beta" yet, and actually
never will be; per recent decision, the next release will be 9.0.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: 8.5 beta manual

От
Andreas Kretschmer
Дата:
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> It's worth pointing out that what that link actually is is the
> up-to-the-minute documentation built from CVS HEAD.  So it might
> describe some recent changes that are not in whatever alpha release
> you are working with.  (There isn't any "8.5 beta" yet, and actually
> never will be; per recent decision, the next release will be 9.0.)

Right, but see
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/index.html :

"PostgreSQL 8.5devel Documentation"

Should be renamed to 9.0 ...

Andreas

Re: 8.5 beta manual

Дата:
Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer@spamfence.net> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> (There isn't any "8.5 beta" yet, and actually
>> never will be; per recent decision, the next release will be 9.0.)

> Right, but see
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/index.html :

> "PostgreSQL 8.5devel Documentation"

> Should be renamed to 9.0 ...

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-01/msg02159.php

            regards, tom lane

Re: 8.5 beta manual

От
Mladen Gogala
Дата:
Will there be an upgrade procedure, too? There is a growing problem with PgSQL not allowing upgrades and requesting that the databases should be rebuilt from scratch, using pg_dumpall. My company is planning to create a Postgres database 1TB in size, but the upgrades are a major obstacle in the planning.

Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer@spamfence.net> writes:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> (There isn't any "8.5 beta" yet, and actually
>> never will be; per recent decision, the next release will be 9.0.)

> Right, but see
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/index.html :

> "PostgreSQL 8.5devel Documentation"

> Should be renamed to 9.0 ...

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-01/msg02159.php

Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA
1500 Broadway
New York, NY 10036
(212) 329-5251
www.vmsinfo.com

Re: 8.5 beta manual

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
Will there be an upgrade procedure, too? There is a growing problem with PgSQL not allowing upgrades and requesting that the databases should be rebuilt from scratch, using pg_dumpall. My company is planning to create a Postgres database 1TB in size, but the upgrades are a major obstacle in the planning.

No doubt pg-migrator will enable fast upgrades between versions, but you aren't required to upgrade to the latest major version.  For example, if you're on 8.4.2, and loads of security patches and bug fixes are released as 8.4.3, there won't be any breaking changes, so you can upgrade to that minor version and no dump and restore is required.

Regards

Thom