Обсуждение: SQL Server

SQL Server

От
bob.vanslobig@att.net

I am hoping that I am posting this question to the proper list.

I inherited a team of programmers that have the responsibility to create mailing lists.  Each member uses MS SQL, with either DTS, or SSIS scripts, and has his own customers that makes them subject to peaks and valley’s.  I am attempting to cross-train as well as standardize the processes to make it easier to balance the workload.

In looking forward, I am getting close to the point of having to add to the team, and after reviewing numerous resumes, have decided that the process we do, doesn’t really require high level SQL programmers, but does require a good understanding

of database structures and the tools necessary to mine data.

At the same time, I am looking at reducing cost and thought about switching from MS SQL to MySQL.  I also thought of adding some kind of GUI front-end in order to use less technical people to process data requests.  In talking with a customer support person at a company that develops front-ends, he suggested looking into PostgreSQL and that is why I am here.

I did not see references to anyone moving from an MS SQL environment to PostgreSQL and was curious if anyone has had experience doing that?  Also, are there any suggestions for front-ends?  I need something that can generate SQL commands but also allow a passthrough if someone needed to write their own.

I’d like the flexibility to increase my team at a minimal cost as we increase volume.

Any thoughts?

Re: SQL Server

От
Brian Modra
Дата:
2009/11/5  <bob.vanslobig@att.net>:
> I am hoping that I am posting this question to the proper list.
>

> I inherited a team of programmers that have the responsibility to create
> mailing lists.  Each member uses MS SQL, with either DTS, or SSIS scripts,
> and has his own customers that makes them subject to peaks and valley’s.  I
> am attempting to cross-train as well as standardize the processes to make it
> easier to balance the workload.
>

> In looking forward, I am getting close to the point of having to add to the
> team, and after reviewing numerous resumes, have decided that the process we
> do, doesn’t really require high level SQL programmers, but does require a
> good understanding
>
> of database structures and the tools necessary to mine data.
>

> At the same time, I am looking at reducing cost and thought about switching
> from MS SQL to MySQL.  I also thought of adding some kind of GUI front-end
> in order to use less technical people to process data requests.  In talking
> with a customer support person at a company that develops front-ends, he
> suggested looking into PostgreSQL and that is why I am here.
>

> I did not see references to anyone moving from an MS SQL environment to
> PostgreSQL and was curious if anyone has had experience doing that?  Also,
> are there any suggestions for front-ends?  I need something that can
> generate SQL commands but also allow a passthrough if someone needed to
> write their own.
>

> I’d like the flexibility to increase my team at a minimal cost as we
> increase volume.
>

> Any thoughts?

My open source project "The Karoo Project" http://www.zwartberg.com/karoo
does include a set of tools for creating web applications with minimum
"programming". The only programming required is SQL, plsql (optional),
XML, XHTML, and Javascript... or you can use C++ also to create mor
complex services.
The Karoo Project is actually aimed at making  it easy to create large
scalable services in C++, but it so happened that I needed a web front
end, so I added the "surf" front end (which I was just describing).
If you are interested, let me know. the documentation needs writing,
so I'll have to help you a bit.
Otherwise, my advice is that postgresql is better than mysql, though I
have not found any good tools for creating database applications,...
which is why I wrote "surf".
Brian

--
Brian Modra   Land line: +27 23 5411 462
Mobile: +27 79 69 77 082

Re: SQL Server

От
Bob McConnell
Дата:
bob.vanslobig@att.net wrote:

> At the same time, I am looking at reducing cost and thoughtabout
> switching from MS SQL to MySQL.  Ialso thought of adding some kind of
> GUI front-end in order to use lesstechnical people to process data
> requests. In talking with a customer support person at a company that
> developsfront-ends, he suggested looking into PostgreSQL and that is
> why I am here.
>
> I did not see references to anyone moving from an MS SQLenvironment
> to PostgreSQL and was curious if anyone has had experience doingthat?
> Also, are there any suggestionsfor front-ends?  I need something that
> cangenerate SQL commands but also allow a passthrough if someone
> needed to writetheir own.

Take a close look at PostgreSQL before you switch. MySQL is fine for
small projects and private web sites, but for anything serious you will
need the Enterprise license and support. The future of those is in
serious doubt right now given the state of Sun, which currently owns it,
and the possibility the European Competition Committee may prevent
Oracle from rescuing them.

If you do a Google Search on moving from MySQL to Postgres, you will
find a lot of sites with information on that conversion. There was one
project at work that did it several years ago, when MySQL AB switched to
the per server license fees. They found Postgres easier to use and more
stable. We now have three major products deployed using Pg and two more
on the drawing board.

PgAdmin III is the best admin front end. It is available on most
platforms, including MS-Windows. I use OpenOffice.Base as an application
front end.

Good luck,

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Re: SQL Server

От
Brian Modra
Дата:
2009/11/6 Bob McConnell <rmcconne@lightlink.com>:
> bob.vanslobig@att.net wrote:
>>
>> At the same time, I am looking at reducing cost and thoughtabout
>> switching from MS SQL to MySQL.  Ialso thought of adding some kind of
>> GUI front-end in order to use lesstechnical people to process data
>> requests. In talking with a customer support person at a company that
>> developsfront-ends, he suggested looking into PostgreSQL and that is
>> why I am here.
>>
>> I did not see references to anyone moving from an MS SQLenvironment
>> to PostgreSQL and was curious if anyone has had experience doingthat?
>> Also, are there any suggestionsfor front-ends?  I need something that
>> cangenerate SQL commands but also allow a passthrough if someone
>> needed to writetheir own.
>
> Take a close look at PostgreSQL before you switch. MySQL is fine for small
> projects and private web sites, but for anything serious you will need the
> Enterprise license and support. The future of those is in serious doubt
> right now given the state of Sun, which currently owns it, and the
> possibility the European Competition Committee may prevent Oracle from
> rescuing them.

I would like to re-inforce what Bob has said here:
PostgreSQL is definitely better for large projects, and there are no
licensing issues.
There are great "extras" also, like PostGIS.