SQL Server

От bob.vanslobig@att.net
Тема SQL Server
Дата
Re: SQL Server
Список pgsql-novice

I am hoping that I am posting this question to the proper list.

I inherited a team of programmers that have the responsibility to create mailing lists.  Each member uses MS SQL, with either DTS, or SSIS scripts, and has his own customers that makes them subject to peaks and valley’s.  I am attempting to cross-train as well as standardize the processes to make it easier to balance the workload.

In looking forward, I am getting close to the point of having to add to the team, and after reviewing numerous resumes, have decided that the process we do, doesn’t really require high level SQL programmers, but does require a good understanding

of database structures and the tools necessary to mine data.

At the same time, I am looking at reducing cost and thought about switching from MS SQL to MySQL.  I also thought of adding some kind of GUI front-end in order to use less technical people to process data requests.  In talking with a customer support person at a company that develops front-ends, he suggested looking into PostgreSQL and that is why I am here.

I did not see references to anyone moving from an MS SQL environment to PostgreSQL and was curious if anyone has had experience doing that?  Also, are there any suggestions for front-ends?  I need something that can generate SQL commands but also allow a passthrough if someone needed to write their own.

I’d like the flexibility to increase my team at a minimal cost as we increase volume.

Any thoughts?