Обсуждение: Yum Update Errors

Yum Update Errors

От
Bruce Hyatt
Дата:
I have been running Postgres 8.3 on CentOS for abut 6 months and using yum to update it. Recently, I started getting
errormessages saying that I'm missing libpq.so.3 which is needed by packages perl-DBD-Pg, mod_auth_pgsql and php-pgsql.
Butthe file IS there, in /usr/lib. Libpq.so.5 is also there, if that has any bearing.

I have not recently installed any new RPM packages nor programs. I have postgresql 8.3.7-1PGDG, perl-DBD-Pg 1.31-6 and
php-pgsql4.3.9-3.22.15.

I seem to recall having a similar problem before but I can't remember anything about how to solve it.

Thanks in advance,
Bruce

Re: Yum Update Errors

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 16:00 -0700, Bruce Hyatt wrote:

> I have been running Postgres 8.3 on CentOS for abut 6 months and using
> yum to update it. Recently, I started getting error messages saying
> that I'm missing libpq.so.3 which is needed by packages perl-DBD-Pg,
> mod_auth_pgsql and php-pgsql. But the file IS there, in /usr/lib.
> Libpq.so.5 is also there, if that has any bearing.

Is this 32 or 64 bit? Can I get the output of

rpm -qa|grep postgresql

Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
Command Prompt - http://www.CommandPrompt.com
                   http://www.gunduz.org

Вложения

Re: Yum Update Errors

От
Bruce Hyatt
Дата:
--- On Fri, 6/5/09, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

> > I have been running Postgres 8.3 on CentOS for abut 6
> months and using
> > yum to update it. Recently, I started getting error
> messages saying
> > that I'm missing libpq.so.3 which is needed by
> packages perl-DBD-Pg,
> > mod_auth_pgsql and php-pgsql. But the file IS there,
> in /usr/lib.
> > Libpq.so.5 is also there, if that has any bearing.
>
> Is this 32 or 64 bit?

32

> Can I get the output of rpm -qa|grep postgresql

grep-2.5.1-32.3
postgresql-8.3.7-1PGDG.rhel4

Thanks again,
Bruce

Re: Yum Update Errors

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Fri, 2009-06-05 at 14:40 -0700, Bruce Hyatt wrote:

> > Can I get the output of rpm -qa|grep postgresql
>
> grep-2.5.1-32.3
> postgresql-8.3.7-1PGDG.rhel4

I think this is not the output of that command. I'm not asking for
grep's and pg's version. I'm looking after all postgresql packages.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
Command Prompt - http://www.CommandPrompt.com
                   http://www.gunduz.org

Вложения

Re: Yum Update Errors

От
Bruce Hyatt
Дата:
--- On Sat, 6/6/09, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

> I think this is not the output of that command. I'm not
> asking for
> grep's and pg's version. I'm looking after all postgresql
> packages.

Sorry, there was a typo in the command. I expected more too.

postgresql-tcl-1.6.2-1PGDG.rhel4
postgresql-odbc-debuginfo-08.03.0400-1PGDG.rhel4
postgresql-server-8.3.7-1PGDG.rhel4
postgresql-plperl-8.3.7-1PGDG.rhel4
postgresql-pltcl-8.3.7-1PGDG.rhel4
postgresql-libs-8.3.7-1PGDG.rhel4
postgresql-devel-8.3.7-1PGDG.rhel4
postgresql-docs-8.3.7-1PGDG.rhel4
compat-postgresql-libs-3-2PGDG.rhel4
postgresql-tcl-debuginfo-1.6.2-1PGDG.rhel4
postgresql-jdbc-8.3.604-1PGDG.rhel4
postgresql-8.3.7-1PGDG.rhel4
postgresql-debuginfo-8.3.7-1PGDG.rhel4
postgresql-plpython-8.3.7-1PGDG.rhel4
postgresql-contrib-8.3.7-1PGDG.rhel4
postgresql-odbc-08.03.0400-1PGDG.rhel4
postgresql-test-8.3.7-1PGDG.rhel4

Thanks,
Bruce

Re: Yum Update Errors

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Sat, 2009-06-06 at 16:02 -0700, Bruce Hyatt wrote:
> compat-postgresql-libs-3-2PGDG.rhel4

RPM seems to be there -- is this 32 or 64 bit ? I just found a compat
package related issue in yum repository at RHEL-4-x86_64 , but I'm not
sure that you are bitten with that.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
Command Prompt - http://www.CommandPrompt.com
                   http://www.gunduz.org

Вложения

Re: Yum Update Errors

От
Bruce Hyatt
Дата:
--- On Sat, 6/6/09, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

> RPM seems to be there -- is this 32 or 64 bit ? I just
> found a compat
> package related issue in yum repository at RHEL-4-x86_64 ,
> but I'm not
> sure that you are bitten with that.
> --

No, it's 32 bit.

The only thing I can think of is that there's some conflict with the version requirements of postgresal 8.3 and CentOS
4.7for php, perl and mod_auth.

Bruce

Re: Yum Update Errors

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
On Sun, 2009-06-07 at 16:41 -0700, Bruce Hyatt wrote:
> The only thing I can think of is that there's some conflict with the
> version requirements of postgresal 8.3 and CentOS 4.7 for php, perl
> and mod_auth.

compat-postgresql-libs-3 provides that requirement.

I could install those packages to my test environment (32 and 64 bit)
just fine -- and I don't have any idea why libpq3 is missing...
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
Command Prompt - http://www.CommandPrompt.com
                   http://www.gunduz.org

Вложения

Re: Yum Update Errors

От
Bruce Hyatt
Дата:
--- On Sun, 6/7/09, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

> Bruce Hyatt wrote:
> > The only thing I can think of is that there's some
> conflict with the
> > version requirements of postgresal 8.3 and CentOS 4.7
> for php, perl
> > and mod_auth.
>
> compat-postgresql-libs-3 provides that requirement.
>
> I could install those packages to my test environment (32
> and 64 bit)
> just fine -- and I don't have any idea why libpq3 is
> missing...
> --

It's NOT missing. That's what has me baffled. It's in /usr/lib. I also have libpq5 there. Could that be causing the
problem?As I recall, you run into problems with RPMs when two different packages need two different versions of a
library.I think you have to use a static library for one of them.

Could this be my problem?

Bruce

Re: Yum Update Errors

Дата:
Bruce Hyatt <brucejhyatt@yahoo.com> writes:
>> just fine -- and I don't have any idea why libpq3 is
>> missing...

> It's NOT missing. That's what has me baffled.

Maybe it's not so much libpq3 as some dependency of it that's missing.
Have you tried "ldd" on the library file to see whether it can find
all dependencies?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Yum Update Errors

От
Bruce Hyatt
Дата:
--- On Mon, 6/8/09, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Bruce Hyatt <brucejhyatt@yahoo.com>
> writes:
> >> just fine -- and I don't have any idea why libpq3
> is
> >> missing...
>
> > It's NOT missing. That's what has me baffled.
>
> Maybe it's not so much libpq3 as some dependency of it
> that's missing.
> Have you tried "ldd" on the library file to see whether it
> can find
> all dependencies?

I'm not familiar with ldd and the man page doesn't give much detail but it looks like they're all there:

libssl.so.4 => /lib/libssl.so.4 (0x00b75000)
libcrypto.so.4 => /lib/libcrypto.so.4 (0x00a4b000)
libkrb5.so.3 => /usr/lib/libkrb5.so.3 (0x00cd2000)
libcom_err.so.2 => /lib/libcom_err.so.2 (0x00839000)
libcrypt.so.1 => /lib/libcrypt.so.1 (0x00e53000)
libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0x0042f000)
libnsl.so.1 => /lib/libnsl.so.1 (0x00873000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 (0x0031e000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x00111000)
libgssapi_krb5.so.2 => /usr/lib/libgssapi_krb5.so.2 (0x00e9e000)
libk5crypto.so.3 => /usr/lib/libk5crypto.so.3 (0x00240000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x009d1000)
libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0x0083e000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00bc8000)

Thanks,
Bruce Hyatt

Re: Yum Update Errors

От
brucejhyatt@yahoo.com
Дата:
--- On Mon, 6/8/09, Bruce Hyatt <brucejhyatt@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Bruce Hyatt <brucejhyatt@yahoo.com>
> libpq3
> > is
> >
> > > It's NOT missing. That's what has me baffled.
> >
> > Maybe it's not so much libpq3 as some dependency of
> it
> > that's missing.
> > Have you tried "ldd" on the library file to see
> whether it
> > can find
> > all dependencies?
>
> I'm not familiar with ldd and the man page doesn't give
> much detail but it looks like they're all there.

I also tried "yum provides libpq.so.3" which returned compat-postgresql-libs-3-2PGDG.rhel4.i686 and I do have that RPM
installed.

I thought this might be due to CentOS upgrading from 4.7 to 4.8 so I tried "yum upgrade" and got the same error
(MissingDependency: libpq.so.3 is needed by package...).

I first thought this was a Linux/yum problem and I asked in a CentOS forum first but it all revolves around Postgresql
packagesand the most recent Postgres update.

Is there anything left except reinstalling Postgres?

Thanks again,
Bruce Hyatt

Re: Yum Update Errors

От
Bob McConnell
Дата:
brucejhyatt@yahoo.com wrote:
> --- On Mon, 6/8/09, Bruce Hyatt <brucejhyatt@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> libpq3
>>> is
>>> Maybe it's not so much libpq3 as some dependency of
>> it
>>> that's missing. Have you tried "ldd" on the library file to see
>> whether it
>>> can find all dependencies?
>> I'm not familiar with ldd and the man page doesn't give much detail
>> but it looks like they're all there.
>
> I also tried "yum provides libpq.so.3" which returned
> compat-postgresql-libs-3-2PGDG.rhel4.i686 and I do have that RPM
> installed.
>
> I thought this might be due to CentOS upgrading from 4.7 to 4.8 so I
> tried "yum upgrade" and got the same error (Missing Dependency:
> libpq.so.3 is needed by package...).
>
> I first thought this was a Linux/yum problem and I asked in a CentOS
> forum first but it all revolves around Postgresql packages and the
> most recent Postgres update.
>
> Is there anything left except reinstalling Postgres?

Does yum think it is missing because it can't find it, or because it is
not listed in its internal index as having been installed by yum?

Note: I have never used yum, being quite happy with Slackware's own
package managers. But I always install Apache, PHP and Postgres from
source downloaded from their own sites in order to get the right
combination of options and cleanly eliminate all references to the MySQL
addiction-ware.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Re: Yum Update Errors

От
Bruce Hyatt
Дата:
--- On Thu, 6/11/09, Bob McConnell <rmcconne@lightlink.com> wrote:

> baffled.
> dependency of
> >> it
> library file to see
> >> whether it
> >> I'm not familiar with ldd and the man page doesn't
> give much detail
> >> but it looks like they're all there.
> >
> > I also tried "yum provides libpq.so.3" which returned
> > compat-postgresql-libs-3-2PGDG.rhel4.i686 and I do
> have that RPM
> > installed.
> >
> > I thought this might be due to CentOS upgrading from
> 4.7 to 4.8 so I
> > tried "yum upgrade" and got the same error (Missing
> Dependency:
> > libpq.so.3 is needed by package...).
> >
> > I first thought this was a Linux/yum problem and I
> asked in a CentOS
> > forum first but it all revolves around Postgresql
> packages and the
> > most recent Postgres update.
> >
> > Is there anything left except reinstalling Postgres?
>
> Does yum think it is missing because it can't find it, or
> because it is not listed in its internal index as having
> been installed by yum?

It appears that yum only fails to find it when trying to update to the latest version of Postgresql.

I also ran "yum resolvedep" on the file and it said on the last line that the required package is installed. There WERE
alsoother lines that appeared to be older versions of packages which returned "PGDG83" which is a Postgresql 8.3
repositoryand, I believe, I have that repository in my .conf file. I can send the printout of that command later if it
wouldhelp.

Sincerely,
Bruce Hyatt

Re: Yum Update Errors

От
Bruce Hyatt
Дата:
--- On Sun, 6/7/09, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

> Bruce Hyatt wrote:
> > The only thing I can think of is that there's some
> conflict with the
> > version requirements of postgresal 8.3 and CentOS 4.7
> for php, perl
> > and mod_auth.
>
> compat-postgresql-libs-3 provides that requirement.

I have this package installed:
compat-postgresql-libs-3-2PGDG.rhel4.i686.rpm

I have libpq.so.3 in /usr/lib which seems to be the appropriate place. I DID NOT previously have priorities installed
butI do now. It didn't make any difference at this point but maybe not having it installed before led to this problem?

No one knows of a simple elegant solution to this? I guess I shouldn't be so reluctant to just reinstall Postgresql.

Bruce Hyatt

Fwd: Yum Update Errors

От
Tim