Обсуждение: Locale C vs Local English, United States

Locale C vs Local English, United States

От
Дата:
i've done a few pgsql installs and this item never
really resonated in my head.  i have been defaulting
to "C" for the locale.  Is this right?  I see there is
an option for "English, United States" - this would
seem to be a more obvious choice given my location in
the united states.

from what i've been able to dig up, it appears the
locale may have an impact on different queries.
anyway, i'd appreciate some insight so i can learn
something and add it to my windows pgsql install
tutorial.

tia...

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
Access over 1 million songs.
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited

Re: Locale C vs Local English, United States

От
Richard Broersma Jr
Дата:
> i've done a few pgsql installs and this item never
> really resonated in my head.  i have been defaulting
> to "C" for the locale.  Is this right?  I see there is
> an option for "English, United States" - this would
> seem to be a more obvious choice given my location in
> the united states.
>
> from what I've been able to dig up, it appears the
> locale may have an impact on different queries.
> anyway, I'd appreciate some insight so i can learn
> something and add it to my windows pgsql install
> tutorial.

You might what search the pg_general list on this topic.

What you will find is that each local has different rules for sorting.  One problem is that other
locales (other than c) will not produce the same sort ordering between various platforms.  Also
FWIRC, I think there may be some unexpected gotchas caused by unpredictable sort orders.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: Locale C vs Local English, United States

От
Дата:
> > i've done a few pgsql installs and this item never
> > really resonated in my head.  i have been
> defaulting
> > to "C" for the locale.  Is this right?  I see
> there is
> > an option for "English, United States" - this
> would
> > seem to be a more obvious choice given my location
> in
> > the united states.
> >
> > from what I've been able to dig up, it appears the
> > locale may have an impact on different queries.
> > anyway, I'd appreciate some insight so i can learn
> > something and add it to my windows pgsql install
> > tutorial.
>
> You might what search the pg_general list on this
> topic.
>
> What you will find is that each local has different
> rules for sorting.  One problem is that other
> locales (other than c) will not produce the same
> sort ordering between various platforms.  Also
> FWIRC, I think there may be some unexpected gotchas
> caused by unpredictable sort orders.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Broersma Jr.

Richard, thanks.  from what i gather, locale C is a
pretty good default, even if it's name is entirely
cryptic on the surface.  i think i'll stick with C for
the time being and, perhaps, research it more a bit
later.

I would be interested in seeing your batch file.
right now, i only develop on windows (backups aren't
that important, however, it would still be a nice
option.  my production server is linux.  however, that
could change if i ever develop something useful
outside of my current environment.

Want to start your own business?
Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index