Re: Locale C vs Local English, United States

От Richard Broersma Jr
Тема Re: Locale C vs Local English, United States
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
> i've done a few pgsql installs and this item never
> really resonated in my head.  i have been defaulting
> to "C" for the locale.  Is this right?  I see there is
> an option for "English, United States" - this would
> seem to be a more obvious choice given my location in
> the united states.
>
> from what I've been able to dig up, it appears the
> locale may have an impact on different queries.
> anyway, I'd appreciate some insight so i can learn
> something and add it to my windows pgsql install
> tutorial.

You might what search the pg_general list on this topic.

What you will find is that each local has different rules for sorting.  One problem is that other
locales (other than c) will not produce the same sort ordering between various platforms.  Also
FWIRC, I think there may be some unexpected gotchas caused by unpredictable sort orders.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.