Обсуждение: Starting postgres 8.0.3

Starting postgres 8.0.3

От
Peter Billen
Дата:
Hello all,

How can I start a postgres database in windows? The installation went fine (I
skipped/disabled the service part, as I don't want it to run everytime when
windows starts). I already tried calling "pg_ctl start -D c:/postgresdata/",
but it says:

Execution of PostgreSQL by a user with administrative permissions is not
permitted.
The server must be started under an unprivileged user ID to prevent
possible system security compromises.  See the documentation for
more information on how to properly start the server.

How can I add an admin? I can't find anything about that in the docs.

Thanks in advance,

--
Peter

Re: Starting postgres 8.0.3

От
Joe
Дата:
Peter Billen wrote:

> How can I add an admin? I can't find anything about that in the docs.

You have to NOT be an admin. E.g., create a postgres account without admin
privileges, i.e., not a Power User or Administrator group (I'm assuming XP), log
on as postgres and issue the pg_ctl command, then switch user to the other account.

Joe

Re: Starting postgres 8.0.3

От
Peter Billen
Дата:
Joe <svn@freedomcircle.net>:
> You have to NOT be an admin. E.g., create a postgres account without admin
> privileges, i.e., not a Power User or Administrator group (I'm assuming XP),
> log
> on as postgres and issue the pg_ctl command, then switch user to the other
> account.
>
> Joe

Thanks for your reply. I'm using Windows XP, indeed. I don't have a 'postgres'
user, so I assume I have to create one first? Should this be done via the
control panel (User Accounts) or via postgres?

Thanks in advance,

--
Peter

Re: Starting postgres 8.0.3

От
Peter Billen
Дата:
Peter Billen <peter@clueless.be> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. I'm using Windows XP, indeed. I don't have a
> 'postgres'
> user, so I assume I have to create one first? Should this be done via the
> control panel (User Accounts) or via postgres?
>
> Thanks in advance,

Addendum: I appear to have a SQLDebugger account. Has this something to do with
postgres?

Thanks.

--
Peter

Re: Starting postgres 8.0.3

От
Joe
Дата:
Peter Billen wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. I'm using Windows XP, indeed. I don't have a 'postgres'
> user, so I assume I have to create one first? Should this be done via the
> control panel (User Accounts) or via postgres?

Via the Control Panel. BTW, it doesn't *have* to be named 'postgres'.

Joe

Re: Starting postgres 8.0.3

От
Joe
Дата:
Peter Billen wrote:
> Addendum: I appear to have a SQLDebugger account. Has this something to do with
> postgres?

If I'm not mistaken, that's a creature of Microsoft Visual Studio.

Joe

Re: Starting postgres 8.0.3

От
Peter Billen
Дата:
Joe <svn@freedomcircle.net> wrote:
> Via the Control Panel. BTW, it doesn't *have* to be named 'postgres'.

Thanks. But if it the names doesn't have to be 'postgres', why do I have to make
a new account? My guess is that postgresql only wants to run under a
non-administrative account (for security reasons when a bad bug is found), but
I might be wrong.

Thanks.

--
Peter

Re: Starting postgres 8.0.3

От
Peter Billen
Дата:
Peter Billen <peter@clueless.be> wrote:

> Joe <svn@freedomcircle.net> wrote:
> > Via the Control Panel. BTW, it doesn't *have* to be named 'postgres'.

Alright! I tried that, and now it gives a new error. It says:

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin>pg_ctl.exe start -D c:/postgresdata/
postmaster starting

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin>postmaster cannot access the server
configuration file "c:/postgresdata/postgresql.conf": No such file or directory

I'm browsing through the docs as we speak, but I thought I let you know. Thanks
for your help so far.

--
Peter

Re: Starting postgres 8.0.3

От
Peter Billen
Дата:
Peter Billen <peter@clueless.be> wrote:

> Peter Billen <peter@clueless.be> wrote:
>
> > Joe <svn@freedomcircle.net> wrote:
> > > Via the Control Panel. BTW, it doesn't *have* to be named 'postgres'.
>
> Alright! I tried that, and now it gives a new error. It says:
>
> C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin>pg_ctl.exe start -D c:/postgresdata/
> postmaster starting
>
> C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin>postmaster cannot access the server
> configuration file "c:/postgresdata/postgresql.conf": No such file or
> directory
>
> I'm browsing through the docs as we speak, but I thought I let you know.
> Thanks
> for your help so far.

Sorry for my quick message and 3 replies in a row. I forgot to do 'initdb'
before starting the database. Everything works flawless now.

Thanks Joe for the assistance.

--
Peter

Re: Starting postgres 8.0.3

От
Joe
Дата:
Peter Billen wrote:
> Sorry for my quick message and 3 replies in a row. I forgot to do 'initdb'
> before starting the database. Everything works flawless now.

I'm glad you worked it out.  I forgot to mention something:  you had said that
you didn't want to install PostgreSQL as a service because you didn't want to
have it started automatically every time Windows booted up.  Well, you can
install it as a service and still control when it gets started.  After the
service is installed, you can go to the Services applet in the Control Panel,
left click on PostgreSQL and open its Properties, and then select Startup type
"Manual".  Then when you want to start it, you can do so from the Services
applet, or from the command line/Run dialog box using the command NET START.

Joe

Re: Starting postgres 8.0.3

От
tövis
Дата:
Peter!
Windows services could be started and stopped manually! You need to change
setting of service to "Manual" and stop it. When you need you cen start it
manually and stop when you want.
Tovis
> How can I start a postgres database in windows? The installation went fine
> (I
> skipped/disabled the service part, as I don't want it to run everytime
> when
> windows starts). I already tried calling "pg_ctl start -D
> c:/postgresdata/",
> but it says:
>
> Execution of PostgreSQL by a user with administrative permissions is not
> permitted.
> The server must be started under an unprivileged user ID to prevent
> possible system security compromises.  See the documentation for
> more information on how to properly start the server.
>
> How can I add an admin? I can't find anything about that in the docs.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --
> Peter

Re: Starting postgres 8.0.3

От
Peter Billen
Дата:
Joe <svn@freedomcircle.net> wrote:

> Peter Billen wrote:
> > Sorry for my quick message and 3 replies in a row. I forgot to do 'initdb'
> > before starting the database. Everything works flawless now.
>
> I'm glad you worked it out.  I forgot to mention something:  you had said
> that
> you didn't want to install PostgreSQL as a service because you didn't want to
> have it started automatically every time Windows booted up.  Well, you can
> install it as a service and still control when it gets started.  After the
> service is installed, you can go to the Services applet in the Control Panel,
> left click on PostgreSQL and open its Properties, and then select Startup
> type
> "Manual".  Then when you want to start it, you can do so from the Services
> applet, or from the command line/Run dialog box using the command NET START.

Cool! Thanks for pointing that out Joe.

--
Peter

Re: Starting postgres 8.0.3

От
Peter Billen
Дата:
tövis <tovises@freemail.hu> wrote:

> Peter!
> Windows services could be started and stopped manually! You need to change
> setting of service to "Manual" and stop it. When you need you cen start it
> manually and stop when you want.
> Tovis

Thanks for telling me :)

Greetings,