Обсуждение: postgres file

postgres file

От
Ramon Orticio
Дата:
hello!

postgresql database files is quite complicated for me.
how can one transfer a postgressl database file from
one computer to another. in access dbms, this can be
easily done by locating the filename with extension
.mdb. how does one do it in postgresql.

thanks for any help

mon.

Yahoo! Mail

Re: postgres file

От
Volkan YAZICI
Дата:
Hi,

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/backup.html

> in access dbms, this can be
> easily done by locating the filename with extension
> .mdb. how does one do it in postgresql.

AFAIC, PostgreSQL uses partitoned database files to store data. Thus,
it's far from MS Access' concept. (Furthermore, both method have its
own pros and cons.) But, in the related documentation (which I pasted
above), you'll see how easy it is to backup/restore a PostgreSQL
database/table/object using supplied utilities.

Regards.

Re: postgres file

От
Aarni Ruuhimäki
Дата:
Hi,

With Pg you do not move a db file or files, but a dump file that has the data
in it.

You need to set up a Pg-system on the other machine, take a db dump on machine
1, move that file to the other machine and read it in.

E.g. / guide lines:

Machine1#pg_dump -c yourdb > yourdb_dumpfile

Machine2#createdb yourdb
Machine2#psql yourdb < yourdb_dumpfile

This moves one database.

To move all databases use pg_dumpall:

Machine1#pg_dumpall -c > all_dumpfile

Machine2#psql < all_dumpfile

BR,

Aarni

On Monday 23 May 2005 04:37, you wrote:
> hello!
>
> postgresql database files is quite complicated for me.
> how can one transfer a postgressl database file from
> one computer to another. in access dbms, this can be
> easily done by locating the filename with extension
> .mdb. how does one do it in postgresql.
>
> thanks for any help
>
> mon.
>

> Yahoo! Mail