Re: postgres file

От Aarni Ruuhimäki
Тема Re: postgres file
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hi,

With Pg you do not move a db file or files, but a dump file that has the data
in it.

You need to set up a Pg-system on the other machine, take a db dump on machine
1, move that file to the other machine and read it in.

E.g. / guide lines:

Machine1#pg_dump -c yourdb > yourdb_dumpfile

Machine2#createdb yourdb
Machine2#psql yourdb < yourdb_dumpfile

This moves one database.

To move all databases use pg_dumpall:

Machine1#pg_dumpall -c > all_dumpfile

Machine2#psql < all_dumpfile

BR,

Aarni

On Monday 23 May 2005 04:37, you wrote:
> hello!
>
> postgresql database files is quite complicated for me.
> how can one transfer a postgressl database file from
> one computer to another. in access dbms, this can be
> easily done by locating the filename with extension
> .mdb. how does one do it in postgresql.
>
> thanks for any help
>
> mon.
>

> Yahoo! Mail