Обсуждение: Converting the sgml documentation...

Converting the sgml documentation...

От
"Anthony Mullen"
Дата:
Greetings -

I have installed Fedora Core 3 on a P2-450 at home.  I included all the PostgreSQL packages available on the CD's.  And
I'vesuccessfully set up a personal database to start playing around with.

I am having issues converting the documentation from sgml to anything else.  I cannot find anything on the web or in
thearchives that goes about explaining how to do this.  Using the command db2html I can convert one document at a time,
withno references.  The Makefile(s) I've found in various places refer to directories that don't exist.  Or to files
thataren't in the expected directories.

I can find the documentation elsewhere, in different formats.  But that doesn't help me with understanding how to do
thingson my own.  I'm a long-time computer professional with most of my experience in OpenVMS and Windows.  Over the
yearsI've dabbled with Debian; but few bean-counters have heard of that distribution.

If someone could start pointing me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Tony -

Re: Converting the sgml documentation...

От
"Anthony Mullen"
Дата:
 --- On Wed 04/13, Anthony Mullen < mullena@iwon.com > wrote:

[... blah blah blah ...]

As per usual as soon as you ask the question you find the answer.  I hope.  Some different combination of search words
inmy query to Google this time gave me the hits I needed.

For PSQL 7.3 it was in chapter B.3 of the documentation (my first hit).  So I toodled on over to www.postgresql.org to
checkout the documentation for 7.4.  It had the same title, 'Building the Documentation', but the chapter was
different;G.3.

So I'm further along on my quest.  But upon a quick perusual of the docs and using my falible brainpower I believe that
thedirectory structure in Fedora may be different.  I'll take a closer look tonight.

Tony -

Re: Converting the sgml documentation...

Дата:
"Anthony Mullen" <mullena@iwon.com> writes:
> I am having issues converting the documentation from sgml to anything
> else.  I cannot find anything on the web or in the archives that goes
> about explaining how to do this.  Using the command db2html I can
> convert one document at a time, with no references.  The Makefile(s)
> I've found in various places refer to directories that don't exist.
> Or to files that aren't in the expected directories.

The docs RPM is fairly useless since it just gives you a verbatim copy
of one subdirectory of the original source tree --- and as you found
out, that Makefile is useless out of context.  (As of 8.0 we've stopped
including the sgml in the RPM at all, since it's really source code.)

Grab the source tarball out of the SRPM, configure it, and look in the
doc/src/sgml subdirectory.   Plain "make" there will build the HTML docs.
See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/docguide-build.html
Check the pgsql-docs archives for more about required tools etc.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Converting the sgml documentation...

От
"Anthony Mullen"
Дата:
> The docs RPM is fairly useless since it just gives you
> a verbatim copy of one subdirectory of the original
> source tree --- and as you found out, that Makefile is
> useless out of context.
> [...]

Tom -

Thanks for the speedy reply.  I'll do as you suggest.

Tony -