Обсуждение: recommended programming language for postgresql

recommended programming language for postgresql

От
Ramon Orticio
Дата:
dear friends,

may i know what is your recommended prgramming
language that would create GUI and connects to
postgresql.

thanks for your advice.

mon

http://my.yahoo.com

Re: recommended programming language for postgresql

От
"Sean Davis"
Дата:
Check out this thread:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-01/msg01178.php

Also, you can use java, C, perl, python, PHP, and anything that can connect
via ODBC, and that is only a start.  A much more complete list is available
here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/interfaces

What choice you make depends on what hardware/software/expertise you have
available and what task you want to accomplish.  For example, if you want a
non-web-based product, that limits things to one class of solutions.  If you
want a web-based product, then there are other solutions.  You will probably
need to tell us a bit more about what you want to do if you want us to be
more specific.

Sean

> may i know what is your recommended prgramming
> language that would create GUI and connects to
> postgresql.
>
> thanks for your advice.
>
> mon

> http://my.yahoo.com

Re: recommended programming language for postgresql

От
Jason Dixon
Дата:
On Jan 24, 2005, at 9:03 PM, Ramon Orticio wrote:

> dear friends,
>
> may i know what is your recommended prgramming
> language that would create GUI and connects to
> postgresql.

If you have to ask, then you're probably a prime candidate for PHP.  I
prefer Perl, but it gives me features you might not need.

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting

Re: recommended programming language for postgresql

От
Alexander Borkowski
Дата:
Hi Ramon,

 > may i know what is your recommended prgramming
 > language that would create GUI and connects to
 > postgresql.

If you already know a GUI programming language and there is a way to
access PostgreSQL from it, it is probably best if you stick with it.
Otherwise I don't dare to suggest one, they all have their particular
strengths and weaknesses. What kind of application you want to write?

Cheers,

Alex

Re: recommended programming language for postgresql

От
"Rodolfo J. Paiz"
Дата:
On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 21:22 -0500, Jason Dixon wrote:
> If you have to ask, then you're probably a prime candidate for PHP.  I
> prefer Perl, but it gives me features you might not need.

Wanna go into some detail here? Curious. :-)

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz@simpaticus.com>

Re: recommended programming language for postgresql

От
Jason Dixon
Дата:
On Jan 25, 2005, at 11:36 AM, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 21:22 -0500, Jason Dixon wrote:
>> If you have to ask, then you're probably a prime candidate for PHP.  I
>> prefer Perl, but it gives me features you might not need.
>
> Wanna go into some detail here? Curious. :-)

By the tone of Ramon's post, he hasn't done much programming.  If web
programming with a database is going to be the extent of his
programming repertoire, then PHP is a good fit for him.  However, I do
a lot of other projects that stress complex data structures, regular
expressions and the ability to craft my own OO frameworks (at times).
These goals align themselves with the strengths of languages like Perl,
Python and Ruby.  That's not to say that you can't use PCRE with PHP,
but the language has some limitations which bother me, in this order:

1) Security - a never-ending series of exploits and patches.  From a
sysadmin's perspective, it's a PITA.  Rodolfo, I expect you know where
I'm coming from.
2) No lexical scoping (namespaces within a block)
3) Promotes the interweaving of logic and presentation

There are other things that will remain unmentioned as I could go on
for hours.  Needless to say, it's a sufficient language for many web
developers.  Unfortunately, it leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.
I'm not going to pretend that you can pick Perl up as quickly as PHP,
but I can say that it will probably be worth the time investment.

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting

Re: recommended programming language for postgresql

От
"Hari Bhanujan"
may i know what is your recommended prgramming
language that would create GUI and connects to
postgresql.

thanks for your advice.

mon

http://my.yahoo.com

Re: recommended programming language for postgresql

От
Peter Lavender
Дата:
On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 10:36 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 21:22 -0500, Jason Dixon wrote:
> > If you have to ask, then you're probably a prime candidate for PHP.  I
> > prefer Perl, but it gives me features you might not need.
> >

> Wanna go into some detail here? Curious. :-)

PerlTk?

It might seem a bit odd, but I've used it to do DB stuff in a "desktop"
app.

Apart from that, I much prefer perls syntax than PHPs, and DBI in perl
is just great.  The Pear (PHP) DB abstraction layer also does a fair job
of being DB agnostic, as DBI does in Perl.

At the end of hte day, I don't think it really matters.  Go with what
you like.  I'll use both PHP and Perl and will muck about with other
languages (like java) when the mood strikes.

Pete.