Обсуждение: Front end?

Front end?

От
Afton & Ray Still
Дата:
Hello;
  I have spent a little time on PgAdmin III. I can see I'm playing with a
lot of power. Now I need to figure out how to use the database. Is what I'm
looking for the front end? (sorry haven't done much with data bases since
paradox 3.) I'm looking for a front end(?) that is relativly easy, (I don't
mind programing if necessary) cheap or preferably free, and has fairly good
abilities for formated output. I would also like to be able to create a
standalone application if possible.

Any hints or especially tutorials would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Ray

---

Re: Front end?

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
Ray,

On Dec 18, 2004, at 7:04 PM, Afton & Ray Still wrote:

> Hello;
>  I have spent a little time on PgAdmin III. I can see I'm playing with
> a lot of power. Now I need to figure out how to use the database. Is
> what I'm looking for the front end? (sorry haven't done much with data
> bases since paradox 3.) I'm looking for a front end(?) that is
> relativly easy, (I don't mind programing if necessary) cheap or
> preferably free, and has fairly good abilities for formated output. I
> would also like to be able to create a standalone application if
> possible.

pgAdmin III is a generic front end for using PostgreSQL. It does not
have facilities for building interfaces or applications. PostgreSQL is
just a data server -- there are no interfaces building tools like you
might have had with paradox.

It sounds like what you might be looking for is a development tool for
building a custom PostgreSQL interface? If you are looking for
something simple with interface building tools, maybe RealBasic
(http://realbasic.com/) or Revolution (http://www.runrev.com/).

If by "standalone" application you mean something where the database
and application are integrated, you are probably using the wrong
database. PostgreSQL is a server type database and will be difficult to
embed in an application compared to something like SQLite.

You can likely get some better suggestions if you provide more details
on what you are trying to do.

Best,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: Front end?

От
John DeSoi
Дата:
On Dec 18, 2004, at 11:52 PM, Afton & Ray Still wrote:

> I admit I'm not real clear on terminolgy.
> As I understand it, front end means what the user sees and uses to
> input data and get information. The backend is what does the work and
> takes care of the details. Is this correct?

Yes, close enough.

> So far, I haven't been able to figure out how to enter data into the
> data base using PgAdmin. So what I'm looking for is a way to enter
> data and get fairly good looking (well formated) reports.
>
> If I can get all of this I'll be happy, but idealy I'd also like to be
> able to create an aplication that I can give to a co-worker who is
> only semi-computer literate. It doesn't really matter if it's all self
> contained, as long as it's all transperent to the end user.
>
> I'm also playing with a very limited development budget.

Assuming you have tables in your database, you can right click on the
table icon and select "View Data" from the menu. This will give you a
spreadsheet-like interface to add or modify data. I'm not aware of any
other data entry facilities in pgAdmin.

I don't think there are any report generation facilities in pgAdmin.
You might try searching the mail archives if you don't get any other

Best,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

Re: Front end?

От
"M. Bastin"
Дата:
>Any hints or especially tutorials would be greatly appreciated

You can purchase REALbasic Standard and pgSQL4RB "internal
deployment" for about $200 total.  (Might be a bit more with the weak
dollar.)

With that you can make virtually any stand-alone or console
application you like.  The big advantage of pgSQL4RB is that it comes
with excellent documentation and it supports virtually all PostgreSQL
features.

Eduphant is a small but free frontend that was made with RB +
pgSQL4RB.  It's a good frontend to learn SQL.  You can insert data
using SQL queries and there are templates to show you how.

Go to aliacta.com for more info.

Cheers,

Marc

Re: Front end?

От
"Taber, Mark"
Дата:
We use phpPgAdmin (http://phppgadmin.sourceforge.net/) ...it's free, and a
decent web-based front end.  Easy as pie to set up, too.  You've got all the
other parts in place (Apache, Postgres).

Mark Taber
State of California
Department of Finance
Infrastructure & Architecture