Обсуждение: Function to convert bigint to date

Function to convert bigint to date

От
"Pradeepkumar, Pyatalo (IE10)"

Hi all,
For my application we are storing the date information by casting it into BIGINT using the following
extract('epoch' from current_timestamp)::bigint

But how do I convert the BIGINT to the date format 'dd mm yyyy'  a function similar to to_date(text,text)
Is there any function to do this conversion.

Thanks in advance

With Best Regards,
Pradeep Kumar P.J

Re: Function to convert bigint to date

От
Steven Klassen
Дата:
* Pradeepkumar, Pyatalo (IE10) <Pradeepkumar.Pyatalo@honeywell.com> [2004-10-21 07:47:21 -0700]:

> But how do I convert the BIGINT to the date format 'dd mm yyyy' a
> function similar to to_date(text,text)

This reply from Richard Huxton should do the trick:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-sql/2002-07/msg00397.php

--
Steven Klassen - Lead Programmer
PostgreSQL Replication & Support Services, (503) 667-4564

Re: Function to convert bigint to date

От
"Pradeepkumar, Pyatalo (IE10)"
Дата:
Hi,
But from the result I need to display only the date and not the time. Should
I use extract() function to get the day, month and year seperately and then
form the date format, or is there any other way to extract only the date
part from the timestamp.

Regs,
Pradeep

Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/ PostgreSQL Replication
& Support Services, (503) 667-4564

Re: Function to convert bigint to date

От
"Pradeepkumar, Pyatalo (IE10)"

But from the result I need to display only the date and not the time. Should
I use extract() function to get the day, month and year seperately and then
form the date format, or is there any other way to extract only the date
part from the timestamp.

Regs,
Pradeep

> But how do I convert the BIGINT to the date format 'dd mm yyyy' a
> function similar to to_date(text,text)

This reply from Richard Huxton should do the trick:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-sql/2002-07/msg00397.php

--
Steven Klassen - Lead Programmer
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/ PostgreSQL Replication
& Support Services, (503) 667-4564

Re: Function to convert bigint to date

От
Steven Klassen
Дата:
* Pradeepkumar, Pyatalo (IE10) <Pradeepkumar.Pyatalo@honeywell.com> [2004-10-25 02:23:19 -0700]:

> But from the result I need to display only the date and not the
> time. Should I use extract() function to get the day, month and year
> seperately and then form the date format, or is there any other way
> to extract only the date part from the timestamp.

You can cast a timestamp to a date. You really need to give these
things a try yourself. You'd be surprised what you can figure out
through trial and error.

xinu=> select now()::timestamp;
            now
 2004-10-25 23:45:38.939148