Обсуждение: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions

PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions

Can anybody help get me started here?  I've downloaded the 8-beta .msi file and ran set up on my XP Home laptop.  Now I have no clue what to do.

I followed Carlo's web tutorial and got almost all the way through the Cygwin install for 7.4.3 (many, many times), but, alas, I ended here...

------------------------

When I type in the three lines of code - cygrunsrv --install postmaster ...  --shutdown, I get the following error:

cygrunsrv: Error installing a service: OpenService: win32 error 1073: The specified service exists already.

When I type in cygrunsrv:  --start postmaster, I get the following error:

cygrunsrv:  Error starting a service: StartService: Win32 error 1069: The service did not start due to logon failure.

------------------------

That's when I quite that route and went with the version 8-be ta.  The only problem is, I haven't seen any instructions that make a lick of sense to me.

Any guidance would be appreciated.  I really want to standardize on PGSQL rather than MySQL, but this whole painful process has left my head ringing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I will post a tutorial of what I did to get PGSQL up and running if I'm able to do it.  If not, I guess I have to go with MySQL even though I would prefer not to go that route.

TIA...

Do you Yahoo!?

Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions

Дата:
The 8.beta is a native Win32 port.  You don't need Cygwin.  Just click
on it and install it as a normal app.

operationsengineer1@yahoo.com wrote:
>  Can anybody help get me started here?  I've downloaded the 8-beta .msi file and ran set up on my XP Home laptop.
NowI have no clue what to do.

> I followed Carlo's web tutorial and got almost all the way through the Cygwin install for 7.4.3 (many, many times),
but,alas, I ended here...

> ------------------------
>
> When I type in the three lines of code - cygrunsrv --install postmaster ...  --shutdown, I get the following error:
>
> cygrunsrv: Error installing a service: OpenService: win32 error 1073: The specified service exists already.
>
> When I type in cygrunsrv:  --start postmaster, I get the following error:
>
> cygrunsrv:  Error starting a service: StartService: Win32 error 1069: The service did not start due to logon failure.
>
> ------------------------
>
> That's when I quite that route and went with the version 8-beta.  The only problem is, I haven't seen any
instructionsthat make a lick of sense to me.

> Any guidance would be appreciated.  I really want to standardize on PGSQL rather than MySQL, but this whole painful
processhas left my head ringing.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I will post a tutorial of what I did to get PGSQL up and running if I'm able
todo it.  If not, I guess I have to go with MySQL even though I would prefer not to go that route.

> TIA...

Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions

От
mike g
Дата:
Hello,

If you are installing postgres using the msi file you shouldn't follow
the cygwin instructions at all.  The msi file is for a native windows
installation not the cygwin emulation.

I don't believe anyone has created an installation instructions yet for
the native windows version but if the installation program works
correctly you don't really need them.

Mike

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 22:17, operationsengineer1@yahoo.com wrote:

> Can anybody help get me started here?  I've downloaded the 8-beta .msi
> file and ran set up on my XP Home laptop.  Now I have no clue what to
> do.
>
> I followed Carlo's web tutorial and got almost all the way through the
> Cygwin install for 7.4.3 (many, many times), but, alas, I ended
> here...
>
> ------------------------
>
> When I type in the three lines of code - cygrunsrv --install
> postmaster ...  --shutdown, I get the following error:
>
> cygrunsrv: Error installing a service: OpenService: win32 error 1073:
> The specified service exists already.
>
> When I type in cygrunsrv:  --start postmaster, I get the following
> error:
>
> cygrunsrv:  Error starting a service: StartService: Win32 error 1069:
> The service did not start due to logon failure.
>
> ------------------------
>
> That's when I quite that route and went with the version 8-be ta.  The
> only problem is, I haven't seen any instructions that make a lick of
> sense to me.
>
> Any guidance would be appreciated.  I really want to standardize on
> PGSQL rather than MySQL, but this whole painful process has left my
> head ringing.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I will post a tutorial of what
> I did to get PGSQL up and running if I'm able to do it.  If not, I
> guess I have to go with MySQL even though I would prefer not to go
> that route.
>
> TIA...

Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions

От
Markus Bertheau
Дата:
В Птн, 13.08.2004, в 05:17, operationsengineer1@yahoo.com пишет:

> Can anybody help get me started here?  I've downloaded the 8-beta .msi
> file and ran set up on my XP Home laptop.  Now I have no clue what to
> do.

I guess you have a service now that you can start. Then use psql from
the command line or pgAdmin or another app to access the database.

--
Markus Bertheau <twanger@bluetwanger.de>

Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions

От
Дата:
Markus,

I didn't want to install it as a service since I do lots of things on my laptop besides database development.  I want to manually start and stop the program.

I will try some things later this afternoon and post my level of success.

Thanks,

Jeff

�� ������, 13.08.2004, �� 05:17, operationsengineer1@yahoo.com ����������:

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions

От
Andreas
Дата:
operationsengineer1@yahoo.com schrieb:

> I didn't want to install it as a service since I do lots of things on
> my laptop besides database development.  I want to manually start and
> stop the program.

I know only the cygwin way, yet, but this doesn't matter.
Even a service can be manually started, if you define it as "manual"
instead of "automatic" in the service-dialoge of Windows.

Set postmaster to "manual" and start it afterwards in a cmd-window with
NET START postmaster
use
NET STOP postmaster
to ... well ... stop it   ;)

I guess postmaster wouldn't be peed off even if you let it run into
system shutdown since Windows will stop running services automatically.

Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions

От
Дата:
Andreas and all,

Thanks to all the people who have tried to help.  I think my biggest mistake wasn't signing up here as soon as I started this project.

I'm going back to try and install and run PGSQL 7.4.3 on WinXP Home using CYGWIN.  First, I want to learn a little more about the UNIX syntax since I will ultimately be putting my database on a Linux based server.  Second, my guess is there is a much larger knowledge base here given that method has been around for quite some time.

I used Carlo's tutorial as my base source of knowledge...

initdb faltered until Carlo suggested I do the following in addition to his online tutorial:

chmod 755 /usr/bin/postgres
chmod 755 /usr/bin/postmaster

chown postgres /usr/bin/postgres
chown postgres /usr/bin/postmaster

I enter this at the same time I enter

chown postgres /var/postgresql/data

in Carlo's tutorial.

When I do all the above (including everyithing in Carlo's tutorial):

initdb -D /var/postgresql/data

works just fine.

However, when I type in the three lines of code

cygrunsrv --install postmaster ...  --shutdown

in his tutorial I get the following error:

cygrunsrv: Error installing a service: OpenService: win32 error 1073: The specified service exists already.

When I type in

cygrunsrv:  --start postmaster

I get the following error:

cygrunsrv:  Error starting a service: StartService: Win32 error 1069: The service did not start due to logon failure

Carlo suggested I try

pg-ctl start -D /cygdrive/c/postgresql/data -l logfile

and I will do so shortly and let everyone know the results.

Also, if I'm using cygserver, do i need to install cygipc, too?

Thanks.

Andreas <maps.on@gmx.net> wrote:
operationsengineer1@yahoo.com schrieb:

> I didn't want to install it as a service since I do lots of things on
> my laptop besides database development. I want to manually start and
> stop the program.

I know only the cygwin way, yet, but this doesn't matter.
Even a service can be manually started, if you define it as "manual"
instead of "automatic" in the service-dialoge of Windows.

Set postmaster to "manual" and start it afterwards in a cmd-window with
NET START postmaster
use
NET STOP postmaster
to ... well ... stop it ;)

I guess postmaster wouldn't be peed off even if you let it run into
system shutdown since Windows will stop running services automatically.

TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space ma p settings

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions

От
Дата:
After I successfully ran initdb, I typed in

pg-ctl start -D /cygdrive/c/postgresql/data

and received the following error:

bash: pg-ctl command not found.

Also, can someone explain the "cygdrive" directory nomenclature?

Does /cygdrive/c/postgresql/data - C:cygwin/var/postgresql/data?

Thanks.

operationsengineer1@yahoo.com wrote:
Andreas and all,

Thanks to all the people who have tried to help.  I think my biggest mistake wasn't signing up here as soon as I started this project.

I'm going back to try and install and run PGSQL 7.4.3 on WinXP Home using CYGWIN.  First, I want to learn a little more about the UNIX syntax since I will ultimately be putting my database on a Linux based server.  Second, my guess is there is a much larger knowledge base here given that method has been around for quite some time.

I used Carlo's tutorial as my base source of knowledge...

initdb faltered until Carlo suggested I do the following in addition to his online tutorial:

chmod 755 /usr/bin/postgres
chmod 755 /usr/bin/postmaster

chown postgres /usr/bin/postgres
chown postgres /usr/bin/postmaster

I enter this at the same time I enter

chown postgres /var/postgresql/data

in Carlo's tutorial.

When I do all the above (including everyithing in Carlo's tutorial):

initdb -D /var/postgresql/data

works just fine.

However, when I type in the three lines of code

cygrunsrv --install postmaster ...  --shutdown

in his tutorial I get the following error:

cygrunsrv: Error installing a service: OpenService: win32 error 1073: The specified service exists already.

When I type in

cygrunsrv:  --start postmaster

I get the following error:

cygrunsrv:  Error starting a service: StartService: Win32 error 1069: The service did not start due to logon failure

Carlo suggested I try

pg-ctl start -D /cygdrive/c/postgresql/data -l logfile

and I will do so shortly and let everyone know the results.

Also, if I'm using cygserver, do i need to install cygipc, too?

Thanks.

Andreas <maps.on@gmx.net> wrote:
operationsengineer1@yahoo.com schrieb:

> I didn't want to install it as a service since I do lots of things on
> my laptop besides database development. I want to manually start and
> stop the program.

I know only the cygwin way, yet, but this doesn't matter.
Even a service can be manually started, if you define it as "manual"
instead of "automatic" in the service-dialoge of Windows.

Set postmaster to "manual" and start it afterwards in a cmd-window with
NET START postmaster
use
NET STOP postmaster
to ... well ... stop it ;)

I guess postmaster wouldn't be peed off even if you let it run into
system shutdown since Windows will stop running services automatically.

TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space ma p settings

Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions

От
Andreas
Дата:
operationsengineer1@yahoo.com schrieb:

> After I successfully ran initdb, I typed in
>
> pg-ctl start -D /cygdrive/c/postgresql/data

I'd try   pg_ctl   maybe it works as everyone says ?

> and received the following error:
> bash: pg-ctl command not found.

And this didn't light things up a bit ?

> Also, can someone explain the "cygdrive" directory nomenclature?
> Does /cygdrive/c/postgresql/data - C:cygwin/var/postgresql/data?

CygWin mimics the UNIX way to represent devices. There are no drive
letters like C: .
Under UNIX you'll have an abstract root directory named    /
This / is usually located at the base of a real partition. Every other
partition, drive, mouse, printer, net-share, .... finds a place below /.
Compare / to the "my computer" folder wherin you'll find the drives.

CygWin uses internally the UNIX method.
Say your CygWin system sits in   E:\programs\cygwin
Then this is  /   when you are on a CygWin command line.
Your own home-directory would then be  /home/jeff.
Windows would see it as  E:\programs\cygwin\home\jeff.

If you feel like reaching into the rest of the computer from within
CygWin, you'd have to go below / which in UNIX is not possible.
Now /cygdrive puts a new base below both worlds.
Windows:     E:\programs\cygwin\home\jeff
CygWin:       /home/jeff
CygWin:       /cygdrive/e/programs/cygwin/home/jeff
are all the same.

Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions

От
Andreas
Дата:
operationsengineer1@yahoo.com schrieb:

> I'm going back to try and install and run PGSQL 7.4.3 on WinXP Home
> using CYGWIN.

Do as youi please but you are adding a whole lot of complexity with cygwin.
I tried the version 8 beta's  msi-instaler  and it worked faultlessly.

[...]

> When I do all the above (including everyithing in Carlo's tutorial):
> initdb -D /var/postgresql/data
> works just fine.

Fine. Your server is installed and ready to be started as local database.
It will reject connects from LAN clients.

>   <>However, when I type in the three lines of code
>
> cygrunsrv --install postmaster ...  --shutdown

Those 3 lines are actually just one!   The \ at the end of line 1+2
glues them together.

>   <>in his tutorial I get the following error:
> cygrunsrv: Error installing a service: OpenService: win32 error 1073:
> The specified service exists already.

You tried more than once and threrfore there exist a service entry in
windows already.
Though I wonder why you install a service at all, since you said in an
earlier mail you'd don't wan't that.

> <>
> cygrunsrv:  Error starting a service: StartService: Win32 error 1069:
> The service did not start due to logon failure

This seems to be a Windows error.
Maybe the user postgres isn't allowed to start services, yet ?
There is some windows management thingy that does that. You can't do it
from within CygWin.
There is a readme coming with cygwin
---->    /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/postgres...

While using postgresql on windows you'll run into a number of
opportunities where you want to bang you head against the wall because
the stupid thing won't come up. Usually it's some kind of access right
issue. Some process wants to do something to a file where it isn't
allowed to go or ast least can't write.
Make sure there is no stale files left from earlier sessions when your
computer crashed.
/var/log/postmaster*
most importantly:
/var/postgresql/data/postmaster.pid      or however the name of the
pid-file there is.

> Also, if I'm using cygserver, do i need to install cygipc, too?

The lastest CygWin has it's own IPC magic and AFAIK you'll run into
interferences if you have the cygipc service running.
I still got a rather old version of CygWin and PostgreSQL so I can't say
for sure.

Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions

От
Дата:
Andreas,

You've been very helpful.  Carlo inadvertently typed "pg-ctl" instead of "pg_ctl".  The latter worked flawlessly once you explained the structure of cygdrive so that I could get to the correct file.  I don't think his cygdrive folder callout was right since he left out "/cygwin/var" in the callout.

Carlo also seems to think that postmaster is in /usr/bin (empty) when  it is really in /bin.  I will ask him if he set up his tutorial so that I should move the file to /usr/bin or if I should adjust the code to reflect just /bin.

When I type in

Owner$ cygrunsrv --start postmaster

I get Win32 error: 1069: The service did not start due to logon failure (using Owner)

When I type in

postgre$ cygrunsrv --start postmaster

I get Win32 error 5: Access is denied.

Does anyone have any ideas?

TIA...

PS - I don't really want to run PGSQL as a service, but that is how Carlo's tutorial is set up and I don't know enough to modify it.  My first step is just to get something running.  If you can let me know how to set it up so that it isn't a service and let me know how to start and stop the appropriate programs, I'd be happy to learn something new.

PSS - I installed PGSQL on WinXP just fine, too, but I had no clue how to run it since it didn't start when I tried to start it the WinXP way.  In addition, the Wrox book I'm using is out of date and all the examples will be based on a Cygwin installation (out of date, no less!) so it will make my life a little easier when I follow the book.  Hopefully it will help when I get set to move the db to a Linux platform.

PSSS - Thanks for the note on running just on a LAN.  I think a "-i" will enable LAN access and there is also a .conf file I can update so that it willl accept certain IPs that I specify.  However, this is strictly for development purposes right now and I have a ways to go before I will actually set this thing up so other machines will need to access it.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: PGSQL 8-beta For WinXP Home Edition Instructions

От
George Weaver
Дата:
I think you would find it very helpful to use the official (and extensive) on-line documentation provided with PostgreSQL (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/index.html).  Most of the challenges you're facing and the questions you have are addressed in the documentation.  You might find the FAQ site particularly useful (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html) as well.

For example, to start and stop PostgreSQL manually use pg_ctl (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/app-pg-ctl.html).  You seem to indicate that you used pg_ctl, but also refer to trying to start the postmaster as a service.  If you start postmaster with pg_ctl, the postmaster is running and you don't need to start it as a service.

If you're interested in how to start it as a service for future reference, I would strongly suggest reading the installation guide prepared by Jason Tishler (see http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/?M=A for the guide applicable to your situation).

To access postgreSQL once it has been started you can use "psql" (no "g") in a console (DOS) window as an interactive terminal.  You must be in a DOS window to start it (see http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/app-psql.html for starting instructions and command line options).

Or you can use the graphical administration program PgAdmin III (see http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/index.php).

For a complete list of PostgreSQL documentation see http://www.postgresql.org/docs/.

HTH,
George
[...]

Дата:
George,

Thanks for the links.  The documentation says I need to install cygipc.  I thought cygserver had replaced cygipc.  Should I follow the documentation andinstall cygipc instead of cygserver as in Carlo's tutorial?

TIA.

For any Unix/Linux newbies out there, like myself, use cd <directory name> to navigate down through your file structure starting in the cygwin directory.  you can type in ls (think of as list) in order to see all the folders and files in the current directory.

You can navigate back up your directory structure by typing in ../ to move up one directory structure.  You can type in ../../ to move up two directories and so on.

you can type in less <filename> to read a file such as documentation or faqs.

George Weaver <gweaver@shaw.ca> wrote:
[...]

Дата:
cygipc is no longer necessary.  If I understand your situation, you have PostgreSQL installed and have successfully run initdb and can start the postmaster with pg_ctl.  If you're not interested in running postmaster as a service while you undertake development, you're ready to start using the database (via psql, pgAdmin III or another client).

If you want to run postmaster as a service, I believe that you have everything installed properly.  The problems starting the service are most likely related to file permissions.  Also make sure that user postgres has logon as service rights.  You should be able to find the answers you need to start postmaster as a service in the Cywin mailing list archives.

[...]

PGSQL 7.4.3 Compatible with 7.4.2?

От
Дата:
I finally got the basic cygwin pgsql 7.4.3 install running by following the postgresql readme in the cygwin folder (using wordpad) and googling the error I received b/c the readme left out one step.

However, my webhost service only offers 7.4.2.  Should I try and find a pgsql 7.4.2 cygwin install or should I be alright developing on 7.4.3 and then transferring the database to my webhost running 7.4.2?

TIA.

[...]

Re: PGSQL 7.4.3 Compatible with 7.4.2?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
TIA,

> However, my webhost service only offers 7.4.2.  Should I try and find a
> pgsql 7.4.2 cygwin install or should I be alright developing on 7.4.3 and
> then transferring the database to my webhost running 7.4.2?

No, it should be fine.  It's 7.4.3 to 7.4.1 that's the problem.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions