Обсуждение: New from mssql. Help please

New from mssql. Help please

От
"hendro"
Дата:
Hi,
I'm new here.
My major problem is working with functions. (previously I use SQL
Server)
For instance, I haven't find a way to alter a function, or to view
function list.
(any keystroke like \d that will display functions ?)
Can anybody suggest a nice place to start? An URL perhaps?

BTW, \? returns nothing in psql. How come?

Thanks
Hendro

Re: New from mssql. Help please

От
"Joe Erickson"
Дата:
In psql, you can do a \da to list aggregate functions, like max() and sum(), and \df to list functions.  This is
probablynot the best way to learn the functions though.  A good web site that lists functions is
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/functions.html

My major problem is working with functions. (previously I use SQL
Server)
For instance, I haven't find a way to alter a function, or to view
function list.
(any keystroke like \d that will display functions ?)
Can anybody suggest a nice place to start? An URL perhaps?

BTW, \? returns nothing in psql. How come?

Thanks
Hendro

Re: New from mssql. Help please

От
"hendro"

I've tried it, but nothing happen, just display some text says "less:not found" What's wrong?

I use version 7.3.1.

PostgreSQL 7.3.1 on i686-pc-cygwin, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.2 20020927 (prerelease)

Should I upgrade?

Thanks.

In psql, you can do a \da to list aggregate functions, like max() and sum(), and \df to list functions. This is probably not the best way to learn the functions though. A good web site that lists functions is http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/functions.html

My major problem is working with functions. (previously I use SQL

Server)

For instance, I haven't find a way to alter a function, or to view function list. (any keystroke like \d that will display functions ?) Can anybody suggest a nice place to start? An URL perhaps?

BTW, \? returns nothing in psql. How come?

Thanks

Hendro

I've tried it, but nothing happen, just display some text says "less:not found" What's wrong? My use version 7.3.1. Should I upgrade?

version

[...]

Rory Campbell-Lange
Дата:
Hi Hendro

On 21/05/04, hendro (hendro@connexiasolutions.com) wrote:
> I'm new here.
> My major problem is working with functions. (previously I use SQL
> Server)
> For instance, I haven't find a way to alter a function, or to view
> function list.

For general help, start with \? on the psql command line.

For a function list, do \df on the psql command line.

This also works with wildcards, so you can get a list of functions
matching a pattern, eg:

    st=> \df *sum*
                           List of functions
     Result data type |   Schema   |   Name   | Argument data types
    ------------------+------------+----------+---------------------
     bigint           | pg_catalog | int2_sum | bigint, smallint
     bigint           | pg_catalog | int4_sum | bigint, integer
     numeric          | pg_catalog | int8_sum | numeric, bigint
    (3 rows)

> (any keystroke like \d that will display functions ?)
> Can anybody suggest a nice place to start? An URL perhaps?

If you are writing your own functions, you can use the following syntax
to create or replace functions:

    CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION
        fn_c3_delete_contact (integer, varchar) RETURNS INTEGER
    AS '
    DECLARE
        creator       ALIAS for $1;
        recone        RECORD;
    BEGIN

        IF creator IS NULL
        THEN
            RAISE EXCEPTION ''no creator found at fn_c3_delete_contact'';
        END IF;

        RETURN 1;

    END;'
        LANGUAGE plpgsql;

A good way of upgrading a set of functions is to have a file with the
names of all the files in which you have functions, eg:

\i sql/fn_m3_explore.sql
\i sql/fn_p1_create_page.sql
\i sql/fn_p2_edit_page.sql
\i sql/fn_p3_move_page.sql

Now reference the file containting these references on the psql command
line (eg \i sql/fn_function_loader.sql) and all of your functions will
be updated.

Rory

--
Rory Campbell-Lange