Обсуждение: probs with 7.3 -> 7.4 on debian

probs with 7.3 -> 7.4 on debian

От
glenn
Дата:
Hi all
Debian has upgraded me to 7.4 ofpostgres, but when it tries to  start
postgres I get an error mentioning that the data is in 7.3 format and
needs to be upgraded to 7.4 format before postmaster will start.

"dpkg-reconfigure postgresql" attempts to do just this for me, but fails
during upgrade.

so I follow the instructions in README.Debian.migration like so:

odin:~# su -s /bin/bash - postgres
postgres@odin:~$ postgresql-dump -t db.out -dcivlp $PGDATA/../data.save
Stopping and restarting the postmaster
/var/lib/postgres/dumpall/7.3/postmaster -D /var/lib/postgres/data  -p
5431 -o -d0
/var/lib/postgres/dumpall/7.3/postmaster: error while loading shared
libraries: libcom_err.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory
Failed to start the postmaster
postgres@odin:~$

Is any one able to point me the right way from here?
Thanks
Glenn

Re: probs with 7.3 -> 7.4 on debian

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 14:47, glenn wrote:
> Hi all
> Debian has upgraded me to 7.4 ofpostgres, but when it tries to  start
> postgres I get an error mentioning that the data is in 7.3 format and
> needs to be upgraded to 7.4 format before postmaster will start.
>

> "dpkg-reconfigure postgresql" attempts to do just this for me, but fails
> during upgrade.
>
> so I follow the instructions in README.Debian.migration like so:
>
> odin:~# su -s /bin/bash - postgres
> postgres@odin:~$ postgresql-dump -t db.out -dcivlp $PGDATA/../data.save
> Stopping and restarting the postmaster
> /var/lib/postgres/dumpall/7.3/postmaster -D /var/lib/postgres/data  -p
> 5431 -o -d0
> /var/lib/postgres/dumpall/7.3/postmaster: error while loading shared
> libraries: libcom_err.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file
> or directory
> Failed to start the postmaster
> postgres@odin:~$
>
> Is any one able to point me the right way from here?

Yes, this is a known problem.  Look at
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=225812 and

Solution:

If you have an up to date dump, move $PGDATA aside, initdb and load your
dump.

Otherwise:
rm -rf /var/lib/postgres/dumpall/7.3/
reinstall 7.3.4-9 from testing for the packages postgresql,
postgresql-client and libpq3; use dpkg --force-downgrade --force-depends
--force-conflicts to do it - it's only for a few minutes.
Make a dump now
reinstall 7.4.1 - this time the upgrade should work, and if not, you can
do a manual upgrade with your just-taken dump as shown above .

     "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to
      forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all
      unrighteousness."          I John 1:9

      joining column's datatypes do not match

Re: probs with 7.3 -> 7.4 on debian

От
glenn
Дата:
outstanding - thanks, this is a big relief :-)

FYI - automatic upgrade still failed, but at least I could use the
db.out I made after downgrade.

Now if only I could connect through TCP.
local connect such as:
        glenn@odin$:psql mydb
works fine

tcp connect such as
glenn@odin$:psql -h odin mydb
psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
        Is the server running on host "odin" and accepting
        TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
fails - tried IP addresses, and localhost etc.
ahh - check /etc/postgresql/postgresql.conf!
        tcpip_socket = true
oh :-(
I read in list archives that this reveals much:

netstat -nlp|grep 5432
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     2235850
13581/postmaster    /var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432

But I think this is a good outcome? i.e. server _is_ served and
listening on port 5432?

pg_hba.conf is essentially the same as the way it was in 7.3 pre
upgrade, but with the IP6 changes now included.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?
Thanks
Glenn

Re: probs with 7.3 -> 7.4 on debian