Обсуждение: Question regarding keyword checkboxes in database design

Question regarding keyword checkboxes in database design

От
Lynna Landstreet
Дата:
Hello,

Apologies in advance, because this post might be long, but I'm not sure how
to explain what I need to for this question to make sense otherwise.

I'm a total PostgreSQL beginner, working in a contract job that initially
involved developing a database in FileMaker Pro and then evolved into
porting it to the web using PostgreSQL because FMP web hosting was too
expensive. So now I'm working on all kinds of thorny conversion issues. I've
more or less given up on getting the two to interact the way I'd initially
hoped, using a third-party SQL plug-in for FMP, because there are too many
differences in the way they store data. So it's probably going to end up
being only in Pg, and with people who update it after my contract ends using
a web form to do so. But in the meantime, I need to get the existing FMP
database totally converted over to Pg.

So today's conversion question, relates to the several lists of checkboxes
in the current FMP database, for keywords under which the images, artists
and exhibitions (it's for an art gallery) are categorized. In FMP, these are
handled by using one field per *set* of checkboxes, with a value list
associated with it that provides the different checkboxes or radio buttons
in the layouts, but stores the data as one long string delimited by some
weird character that doesn't display properly when you export the content as
text.

This works fine in FMP, but my impression from the book I'm currently
reading ("Beginning Databases with PostgreSQL" by Richard Stones and Neil
Matthew) is that in Pg only one type of information should be stored in each
column, so each keyword checkbox should probably be one column. So keeping
the current structure where the keywords in any given set (i.e. subject,
medium, etc.) are all lumped together into one long string for each record
would be considered bad database design and probably make scripting
trickier. But if I make each keyword into a boolean field, I'm not sure how
to display them. From what I've read thus far, the select statements that
you use to display data in Pg usually return the data in the columns, not
the column names. When people ultimately view the database records on the
web, I want them to be able to see something like:

Medium: black and white photograph