Re: Question regarding keyword checkboxes in database

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Question regarding keyword checkboxes in database
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Lynna,

> Yes, you're probably quite right. So, I just executed the script I wrote to
> create all the tables, and I went with option 2, with one slight
> modification - I split the keywords into two tables, one for format-oriented
> keyword sets (medium, techniques, etc.) and one for content-oriented ones
> (subject, theme, etc.). I think that may make coding the front end somewhat
> easier, since they need to be separated that way when they're presented in
> search results and what not.

Not real sure of your schema, but you might also consider a single keyword
table with a "keyword_type" column.  Not only would this keep your joins
simple, but it would allow you to add an new keyword type in the future.

Either way, another victory for normalization!   Wahoo!

> WRT "if you want to do real programming" - that made me smile, because the
> fundamental problem behind this and nearly all my questions on this list and
> pgsql-general is that I'm *not* a real programmer! I'm a designer who has
> had to expand into more technical areas because the current state of the web
> industry makes it a necessity -

<grin>  At least you're facing up to reality ... I have several friends who
keep whining "but why can't I just do Flash the way I did in 1999?"

It's not just Web work, btw.  I get *lots* more work than most of my
programmer friends because I know networks, accounting and litigiation
support as well as code; it's just not enough to have just one skill anymore.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Сообщение: Re: Question regarding keyword checkboxes in database
Сообщение: Re: Question regarding keyword checkboxes in database