Обсуждение: limit of 16 on arguments to functons

limit of 16 on arguments to functons

От
"V R"

hi,
I came across this information in http://www.ch.postgresql.org/news.html:
The maximum number of keys in an index or arguments to a function is now
configurable, with default limit of 16, rather than the old hard-coded limit
of 8.

We are porting our database from sybase to postgre 7.1 which involves
functions having 24 arguments and more.Is there any provision to configure
the number of  arguments to a function, in postgres, to accept more than 16
arguments?
thanks
varadha

Re: limit of 16 on arguments to functons

От
"Josh Berkus"
Дата:
VR,

> We are porting our database from sybase to postgre 7.1 which involves
>  functions having 24 arguments and more.Is there any provision to
>  configure the number of  arguments to a function, in postgres, to
>  accept more than 16 arguments?

Please see the archives of the PGSQL-SQL list for January 2002.  There
 is a thread between me and the core developers regarding this
 compile-time option.

-Josh Berkus

Re: limit of 16 on arguments to functons

От
"V R"

>From: "Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com>
>To: "V R" <varadha24@hotmail.com>,pgsql-novice@postgresql.org
>Subject: Re: [NOVICE] limit of 16 on arguments to functons
>Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 09:04:16 -0800
>
>VR,
>
>>We are porting our database from sybase to postgre 7.1 which involves
>>   functions having 24 arguments and more.Is there any provision to
>>   configure the number of  arguments to a function, in postgres, to
>>accept more than 16 arguments?
>
>Please see the archives of the PGSQL-SQL list for January 2002.  There
>is a thread between me and the core developers regarding this
>compile-time option.

-Josh Berkus

we install postgres using RPM so how do I go about it then.

Thanks,
varadha

Re: limit of 16 on arguments to functons

От
"Josh Berkus"
Дата:
Varadha,

> we install postgres using RPM so how do I go about it then.

Sorry, no can do.  If you want to use special compile-time options, you
 cannot use RPMs.  RPMs are for people who want the default install.

The good news is that 7.2 came out yesterday.  Within a few weeks, you
 should see RPMs for your chosen distribution appearing.  The reason
 that this is good news for you is that (I believe) Tom and Bruce made
 the default arguments/parameters 24 in version 7.2 instead of 16.

Of course, compiling Postgres isn't hard:
pg_dumpall > database_backup
su root
tar -xvzf postgresql-7.2.tgz
cd postgresql-7.2
./configure
make
su postgres
make install
<postgres dir>/bin/initdb
pg_restore database_backup

-Josh

Re: limit of 16 on arguments to functons

Дата:
"Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> The good news is that 7.2 came out yesterday.  Within a few weeks, you
>  should see RPMs for your chosen distribution appearing.  The reason
>  that this is good news for you is that (I believe) Tom and Bruce made
>  the default arguments/parameters 24 in version 7.2 instead of 16.

Uh ... no; in fact I don't even recall any discussion about it.

If you don't like 16, you have to compile from source.

            regards, tom lane