Обсуждение: spatial index

spatial index

От
James Reid
Дата:
hi - a very simple question from a newbie. Im tyring to outdo my colleagues Perl code (running on the same machine) for
spatialoperations (point-in-poly) but on a vanilla install of postgres 7.1 his perl is 20 times faster!! Ive no spatial
indexbuilt on the polygon but I cant get one built as it complains of a tuple_row error which  i assume relates to the
useof the default 8Kb block size - my question is - how do I rebuild with a bigger block size so as I can build an
rtreeon the poly? (or can someone give me some idea of how postgres spatial operations perform relative to other
solutions- Id like to employ postgres for a gazetteer service but I need to get the speed of response up....any
ideas/thoughtsappreciated)

+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

James S Reid,
National Service Coordinator UKBORDERS
EDINA ,                                          Tel: +44 0131 651 1383
Data Library,                                  Fax: +44 0131 650 3308
Main Library,
Edinburgh University,
Edinburgh EH8 9LJ,              E-mail: James.Reid@ed.ac.uk
Scotland.                           Internet: edina.ed.ac.uk/ukborders/

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Re: spatial index

От
ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Дата:
On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, James Reid wrote:

> hi - a very simple question from a newbie. Im tyring to outdo my colleagues Perl code (running on the same machine)
forspatial operations (point-in-poly) but on a vanilla install of postgres 7.1 his perl is 20 times faster!! Ive no
spatialindex built on the polygon but I cant get one built as it complains of a tuple_row error which  i assume relates
tothe use of the default 8Kb block size - my question is - how do I rebuild with a bigger block size so as I can build
anrtree on the poly? (or can someone give me some idea of how postgres spatial operations perform relative to other
solutions- Id like to employ postgres for a gazetteer service but I need to get the speed of response up....any
ideas/thoughtsappreciated)

[ Sorry, I'm not going to reformat his paragraph. ]
Are you running 7.1?  That gets around some of the tuple size
issues.  There is a Spatial DBase add-on to PostgreSQL
called PostGIS (?).  You might want to look around the
OpenGIS consortium website to get info on this, and other
spatial oriented things.

Gord

Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
780/993-1274 (cell)

Re: spatial index

Дата:
James Reid <james.reid@ed.ac.uk> writes:
> [ how to do a spatial index ]

Take a look at PostGIS, http://postgis.refractions.net.
Not sure that you want everything in there, but their
approaches to indexing might be useful.

BTW, there are nontrivial bug fixes for both rtree and gist
index types in 7.2, so you might want to run on latest 7.2
beta rather than 7.1.

            regards, tom lane