Re: spatial index

От ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Тема Re: spatial index
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, James Reid wrote:

> hi - a very simple question from a newbie. Im tyring to outdo my colleagues Perl code (running on the same machine)
forspatial operations (point-in-poly) but on a vanilla install of postgres 7.1 his perl is 20 times faster!! Ive no
spatialindex built on the polygon but I cant get one built as it complains of a tuple_row error which  i assume relates
tothe use of the default 8Kb block size - my question is - how do I rebuild with a bigger block size so as I can build
anrtree on the poly? (or can someone give me some idea of how postgres spatial operations perform relative to other
solutions- Id like to employ postgres for a gazetteer service but I need to get the speed of response up....any
ideas/thoughtsappreciated)

[ Sorry, I'm not going to reformat his paragraph. ]
Are you running 7.1?  That gets around some of the tuple size
issues.  There is a Spatial DBase add-on to PostgreSQL
called PostGIS (?).  You might want to look around the
OpenGIS consortium website to get info on this, and other
spatial oriented things.

Gord

Matter Realisations     http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101  9504 182 St. NW    Edmonton, AB, CA  T5T 3A7
780/481-8019            ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
780/993-1274 (cell)

От: Markus Bertheau
Сообщение: Re: problem with case-sensitivity of database name
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: spatial index