Обсуждение: problems installing

problems installing

От
Daniel Bautista
Дата:
Hi!

I have installed PostgreSQL 7.1.3, but I am having
problems when I try to do "initdb".
I have two partitions: one in /, which has the Linux
SO and is full (no space available), and one in
/usr/local, which has 16 GB free. When I type
"./initdb --pgdata=/usr/local/postgres/data" or
"./initdb -D ..." (in /usr/local/pgsql) the next error
appears:

"[...]
 Creating systems views.
 cat: write error: No space left on device
 cat: write error: No space left on device
 Setting lastsysoid.
 Vacuumind database.
 /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb: line 635: 475 Done
 echo "VACUUM ANALYZE"
 476 Segmentation fault | "$GPATH"/postgres $PGSQL_OPT
template1 >/dev/null

 initdb failed.
 Removing temp file /tmp/initdb.405."

I have created an user "postgres" with access to all
these directories, and I've made "su postgres".

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

http://personals.yahoo.com

Re: problems installing

От
"Josh Berkus"
Дата:
Daniel,

> I have installed PostgreSQL 7.1.3, but I am having
> problems when I try to do "initdb".
> I have two partitions: one in /, which has the Linux
> SO and is full (no space available), and one in
> /usr/local, which has 16 GB free. When I type
> "./initdb --pgdata=/usr/local/postgres/data" or
> "./initdb -D ..." (in /usr/local/pgsql) the next error
> appears:

If your / filesystem is full, you're going to have problems with far
more than PostgreSQL.  You need to adjust your partitions while you can
still use the system, because you can expect a crash soon.

As for the initdb, the answer is in the error message ... the script is
trying to create files in /tmp/ as prep work, and there isn't any space.

-Josh

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh@agliodbs.com

Re: problems installing

Дата:
Daniel Bautista <dnbautista@yahoo.com> writes:
> I have installed PostgreSQL 7.1.3, but I am having
> problems when I try to do "initdb".
> I have two partitions: one in /, which has the Linux
> SO and is full (no space available), and one in
> /usr/local, which has 16 GB free. When I type
> "./initdb --pgdata=/usr/local/postgres/data" or
> "./initdb -D ..." (in /usr/local/pgsql) the next error
> appears:

> "[...]
>  Creating systems views.
>  cat: write error: No space left on device
>  cat: write error: No space left on device

How full is "full"?  I think that initdb will fail if there's not room
to create a couple-hundred-kilobyte work file in /tmp.  You may need to
make /tmp be a symlink to someplace on the volume that has free space.

            regards, tom lane