Обсуждение: Still lockin up...

Still lockin up...

От
Herbie Pabst
Дата:
Thank you for replying. I now have gotten as far as doing "initdb" and
have a template1 in "base" directory. Now when I run Postmaster it asks
for a data path, I use "-D" option and supply the path and run
postmaster but if locks up the computer and pgsql never starts. Any
ideas? I'm using LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 on a 7500 Mac. What is the memory
requirements
for Postgresql? I may not have enough physical ram left. 80mb total 4mb
left. Will pgsql run ok when in swap?

Herbie Pabst

Re: Still lockin up...

Дата:
Herbie Pabst <herbie@nextearth.com> writes:
> Thank you for replying. I now have gotten as far as doing "initdb" and
> have a template1 in "base" directory. Now when I run Postmaster it asks
> for a data path, I use "-D" option and supply the path and run
> postmaster but if locks up the computer and pgsql never starts.

It's hardly likely that it "locks up the computer".  Are you typing
"postmaster" in a shell window and expecting the command to terminate?
It won't, nor will it automatically launch a psql for you.  The
postmaster is just a daemon that you are supposed to start up as a
background process.  See the admin guide, eg
http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/postmaster-start.htm
(note that these docs are for 7.1, but they mostly apply to the 7.0
version that I suppose you are running).

            regards, tom lane

Re: Still lockin up...

От
Rasputin
Дата:
* Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [010127 19:57]:
> Herbie Pabst <herbie@nextearth.com> writes:
> > Thank you for replying. I now have gotten as far as doing "initdb" and
> > have a template1 in "base" directory. Now when I run Postmaster it asks
> > for a data path, I use "-D" option and supply the path and run
> > postmaster but if locks up the computer and pgsql never starts.

Show us the whole command line.
> It's hardly likely that it "locks up the computer".

To be fair, Tom , I've had similar problems on some platforms
where the /etc/rc.d initscripts are b0rken, and the
" su - pgsql " line has been messed up so that it execs into
a postmaster shell.

If this is the case, the system will hang on bootup, because init
expects these scripts to return (whic hwon't happen unitl after
postmaster exits).

Herbie, if you are running postgres from the command line, stop it :)
If not , tell us where you got it and what script you're running.

--
Rasputin
Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns

Re: Still lockin up...

От
Herb Pabst
Дата:
Well, I'm happy to say that the Box was no locking up. PGsql was running in
the first terminal. One of you Guru's suggested that I open another terminal
and was able to su and start psql. Now for the learning! I need to find out
how to edit the rc files so PGsql starts on boot. Can someone point me to the
correct docs, I can't seem to find the info due to my newbee condition. :<)

Herbie Pabst

ps. When I use "top" to check memory usage I see that the cache has been
growing about 8mb per day then memory usage stops 2mb short of total physical
ram. Any Ideas?

Rasputin wrote:

> * Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [010127 19:57]:
> > Herbie Pabst <herbie@nextearth.com> writes:
> > > Thank you for replying. I now have gotten as far as doing "initdb" and
> > > have a template1 in "base" directory. Now when I run Postmaster it asks
> > > for a data path, I use "-D" option and supply the path and run
> > > postmaster but if locks up the computer and pgsql never starts.
>
> Show us the whole command line.
> > It's hardly likely that it "locks up the computer".
>
> To be fair, Tom , I've had similar problems on some platforms
> where the /etc/rc.d initscripts are b0rken, and the
> " su - pgsql " line has been messed up so that it execs into
> a postmaster shell.
>
> If this is the case, the system will hang on bootup, because init
> expects these scripts to return (whic hwon't happen unitl after
> postmaster exits).
>
> Herbie, if you are running postgres from the command line, stop it :)
> If not , tell us where you got it and what script you're running.
>
> > Are you typing
> > "postmaster" in a shell window and expecting the command to terminate?
> > It won't, nor will it automatically launch a psql for you.  The
> > postmaster is just a daemon that you are supposed to start up as a
> > background process.  See the admin guide, eg
> > http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/postmaster-start.htm
> > (note that these docs are for 7.1, but they mostly apply to the 7.0
> > version that I suppose you are running).
> >
> >                       regards, tom lane
>
> --
> Rasputin
> Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns

Re: Still lockin up...

От
John Burski
Дата:
Which operating system and version of PostgreSQL are you using?

Herb Pabst wrote:

> Well, I'm happy to say that the Box was no locking up. PGsql was running in
> the first terminal. One of you Guru's suggested that I open another terminal
> and was able to su and start psql. Now for the learning! I need to find out
> how to edit the rc files so PGsql starts on boot. Can someone point me to the
> correct docs, I can't seem to find the info due to my newbee condition. :<)
>
> Herbie Pabst
>
> ps. When I use "top" to check memory usage I see that the cache has been
> growing about 8mb per day then memory usage stops 2mb short of total physical
> ram. Any Ideas?
>
> Rasputin wrote:
>
> > * Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [010127 19:57]:
> >
> > Show us the whole command line.
> > > It's hardly likely that it "locks up the computer".
> >
> > To be fair, Tom , I've had similar problems on some platforms
> > where the /etc/rc.d initscripts are b0rken, and the
> > " su - pgsql " line has been messed up so that it execs into
> > a postmaster shell.
> >
> > If this is the case, the system will hang on bootup, because init
> > expects these scripts to return (whic hwon't happen unitl after
> > postmaster exits).
> >
> > Herbie, if you are running postgres from the command line, stop it :)
> > If not , tell us where you got it and what script you're running.
> >
> > > Are you typing
> > > "postmaster" in a shell window and expecting the command to terminate?
> > > It won't, nor will it automatically launch a psql for you.  The
> > > postmaster is just a daemon that you are supposed to start up as a
> > > background process.  See the admin guide, eg
> > > http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/postmaster-start.htm
> > > (note that these docs are for 7.1, but they mostly apply to the 7.0
> > > version that I suppose you are running).
> > >
> > >                       regards, tom lane
> >
> > --
> > Rasputin
> > Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns

--
John Burski
Chief IT Cook and Bottlewasher
911 Emergency Products, St. Cloud, MN
(320) 656 0076       www.911ep.com

+ How's your cheese holding out? +

Re: Still lockin up...

От
Herb Pabst
Дата:
LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 Kernel 2.2.18hpmac, PGsql 6.5.3.