Re: Still lockin up...

От Herb Pabst
Тема Re: Still lockin up...
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Well, I'm happy to say that the Box was no locking up. PGsql was running in
the first terminal. One of you Guru's suggested that I open another terminal
and was able to su and start psql. Now for the learning! I need to find out
how to edit the rc files so PGsql starts on boot. Can someone point me to the
correct docs, I can't seem to find the info due to my newbee condition. :<)

Herbie Pabst

ps. When I use "top" to check memory usage I see that the cache has been
growing about 8mb per day then memory usage stops 2mb short of total physical
ram. Any Ideas?

Rasputin wrote:

> * Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [010127 19:57]:
> > Herbie Pabst <herbie@nextearth.com> writes:
> > > Thank you for replying. I now have gotten as far as doing "initdb" and
> > > have a template1 in "base" directory. Now when I run Postmaster it asks
> > > for a data path, I use "-D" option and supply the path and run
> > > postmaster but if locks up the computer and pgsql never starts.
>
> Show us the whole command line.
> > It's hardly likely that it "locks up the computer".
>
> To be fair, Tom , I've had similar problems on some platforms
> where the /etc/rc.d initscripts are b0rken, and the
> " su - pgsql " line has been messed up so that it execs into
> a postmaster shell.
>
> If this is the case, the system will hang on bootup, because init
> expects these scripts to return (whic hwon't happen unitl after
> postmaster exits).
>
> Herbie, if you are running postgres from the command line, stop it :)
> If not , tell us where you got it and what script you're running.
>
> > Are you typing
> > "postmaster" in a shell window and expecting the command to terminate?
> > It won't, nor will it automatically launch a psql for you.  The
> > postmaster is just a daemon that you are supposed to start up as a
> > background process.  See the admin guide, eg
> > http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/postmaster-start.htm
> > (note that these docs are for 7.1, but they mostly apply to the 7.0
> > version that I suppose you are running).
> >
> >                       regards, tom lane
>
> --
> Rasputin
> Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns

Сообщение: Re: cannot connect to database
Сообщение: Re: cannot connect to database