Обсуждение: What's wrong with this? (Pt II)

What's wrong with this? (Pt II)

От
John Poltorak

Folloing a number of suggestions from various people I tried
ammending my original code and now have:-

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>pg_test</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<?

$connectid = pg_connect("194.164.53.200", "5432", "postgres");

$query = "SELECT townName FROM towns";

$result = pg_exec($connectid, $query);

$row = pg_fetch_array($result,$row);

print("using element 0 :- \n");

print($row[0]);

print("<BR>");

print("using double quotes :- \n");

print($row["townName"]);

print("<BR>");

print("using single quotes :- \n");

print($row['townName']);

print("<BR>");

print("using no quotes :- \n");

print($row[townName]);

print("<BR>");

print("using printf :- \n");

printf("%s\n",$row->townName);

print("<BR>");

?>

And this is what the output looks like:-

using element 0 :- leeds
using double quotes :-
using single quotes :-
using no quotes :-
using printf :-

So I'm no wiser reallly...

Can anyone try running this snippet on their own system and show
me what happens?

It's coded to point at an host which _ought_ to be able to
service a query.

--
John

Re: What's wrong with this? (Pt II)

От
GH
Дата:
On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 01:31:16AM +0000, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
*snip*
> <?
> $connectid = pg_connect("194.164.53.200", "5432", "postgres");

This syntax is deprecated. What version of PHP are you using?
The more correct syntax would be
pg_connect("host=194.164.53.200 port=5432 user=<user>"
    ." password=<password> dbname=<database>");
http://www.php.net/manual/function.pg-connect.php
The same is true for pg_pconnect().

> $query = "SELECT townName FROM towns";
> $result = pg_exec($connectid, $query);
> $row = pg_fetch_array($result,$row);

What is the value of $row that you are passing to pg_fetch_array?
(That should be the number of the row *in the resultset* that you
want to retrieve.)

In addition, I recieved a pg_hba.conf error when I attempted to test
this script, using what you sent. Can you clarify what
the username, password, and database are supposed to be?

---
Warning: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: No pg_hba.conf entry for
host 63.147.13.10, user nobody, database postgres in
/depot/home/grasshacker/public_html/pg_test.php on line 10
---

gh

*snip*

> Can anyone try running this snippet on their own system and show
> me what happens?
 Tried...did.

> It's coded to point at an host which _ought_ to be able to
> service a query.

It is not able to, at least, not in the context of this test.

> --
> John

Re: What's wrong with this? (Pt II)

От
info@i-developit.com
Дата:
Don't forget too that when you do a pgsql_fetch_array,
the way your are doing it, it will only pull the last
item. You need to make that in a while loop, so that
it will retreive all the rows of data.

Example:

while($row = pgsql_fetch_array($result))
{
    echo $row["townName"];
}

This will display all the townName entries that were a part
of your query. (i.e., if there were 4 results returned, it would
display all 4 results, but only the column townName)

Hope this helps,
Andy Holman

GH wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 01:31:16AM +0000, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> *snip*
> > <?
> > $connectid = pg_connect("194.164.53.200", "5432", "postgres");
>
> This syntax is deprecated. What version of PHP are you using?
> The more correct syntax would be
> pg_connect("host=194.164.53.200 port=5432 user=<user>"
>         ." password=<password> dbname=<database>");
> http://www.php.net/manual/function.pg-connect.php
> The same is true for pg_pconnect().
>
> > $query = "SELECT townName FROM towns";
> > $result = pg_exec($connectid, $query);
> > $row = pg_fetch_array($result,$row);
>
> What is the value of $row that you are passing to pg_fetch_array?
> (That should be the number of the row *in the resultset* that you
> want to retrieve.)
>
> In addition, I recieved a pg_hba.conf error when I attempted to test
> this script, using what you sent. Can you clarify what
> the username, password, and database are supposed to be?
>
> ---
> Warning: Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: No pg_hba.conf entry for
> host 63.147.13.10, user nobody, database postgres in
> /depot/home/grasshacker/public_html/pg_test.php on line 10
> ---
>
> gh
>
> *snip*
>
> > Can anyone try running this snippet on their own system and show
> > me what happens?
>  Tried...did.
> >
> > It's coded to point at an host which _ought_ to be able to
> > service a query.
>
> It is not able to, at least, not in the context of this test.
>

> > --
> > John

Re: What's wrong with this? (Pt II)

От
John Poltorak
Дата:
On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 04:40:34AM -0500, info@i-developit.com wrote:
> Don't forget too that when you do a pgsql_fetch_array,
> the way your are doing it, it will only pull the last
> item. You need to make that in a while loop, so that
> it will retreive all the rows of data.

Yes, I am aware of that, but pulling any item appears to be proving a
hurdle...

> Example:
>
> while($row = pgsql_fetch_array($result))
> {
>       echo $row["townName"];
> }
>
> This will display all the townName entries that were a part
> of your query. (i.e., if there were 4 results returned, it would
> display all 4 results, but only the column townName)

It appears that there is something fundamentally wrong.

Here's the full script:-

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>pg_test</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<?

$connectid = pg_connect("194.164.53.200", "5432", "postgres");

$query = "SELECT townName FROM towns";

$result = pg_exec($connectid, $query);

while($row = pgsql_fetch_array($result))
{
        echo $row["townName"];
        }

?>

This is the response:-

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: pgsql_fetch_array() in test.php
on line 17

Line 17 => while($row = pgsql_fetch_array($result))

c:\>php  -v
4.0.4pl1

Since this appears to be a PHP problem rather than anything specific to
Postges, I guess I should pursuit it elsewhwere. Is there anything like
a PHP-Novices mailing list anywhere?

--
John

Re: What's wrong with this? (Pt II)

От
info@i-developit.com
Дата:
That's because the function should actually be,

pg_fetch_array(integer result, integer row)

When in doubt always check the php manual online
at www.php.net. As I said in an earlier e-mail on
this subject, I don't use the standard pgsql functions
within php, I use phpLIB.  Sorry for typing the wrong
function, but I was close :)

--Andy