Обсуждение: Importing CSV file

Importing CSV file

От
John Poltorak
Дата:
Is there a simple way to import a CSV file into a Postgres database?

--
John

Re: Importing CSV file

От
Andrew McMillan
Дата:
John Poltorak wrote:

> Is there a simple way to import a CSV file into a Postgres database?

If it is a simple CSV file then you should be able to manage with the
COPY command, using appropriate values for DELIMITERS.

If your CSV file has text quoted, and which includes line breaks within
fields, then you need to get more complex.

I have a perl script you can use in this case, if you want.

Regards,
                    Andrew.
           Andrew McMillan, e-mail: Andrew@catalyst.net.nz
Catalyst IT Ltd, PO Box 10-225, Level 22, 105 The Terrace, Wellington
Me: +64 (21) 635 694, Fax: +64 (4) 499 5596, Office: +64 (4) 499 2267

Re: Importing CSV file

От
John Poltorak
Дата:
On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 07:08:50AM +1300, Andrew McMillan wrote:
> John Poltorak wrote:
> >
> > Is there a simple way to import a CSV file into a Postgres database?
>
> If it is a simple CSV file then you should be able to manage with the
> COPY command, using appropriate values for DELIMITERS.

Thanks, I have managed to stumble across the COPY FROM command now.

> If your CSV file has text quoted, and which includes line breaks within
> fields, then you need to get more complex.

I'm only trying simple stuff to begin with.

I have found some problems in attempting to copy files, and it appears
due to line termination on OS/2... The last field is rejected normally,
but if I convert lines from CRLF to LF, then it works.

> I have a perl script you can use in this case, if you want.

I'll bear that in mind thanks.