Обсуждение: Blob question -(((

Blob question -(((

От
Boris
Дата:
Hello ,

I have a question about BLOBs in PGSQL. I know some people getting
crazy about this question, but I need an answer to finish the
portability to Postgres for my content-system.

Here are my questions:

* Are they any limits to the OID Datatype? I need 50-100k per row.

* Can I do fulltext-search with OID fields (VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!!)?

* How can I store 50-100k values? What datatype should I use?

The answer of this  questions is very important to me, hope someone
has time to give me an answer.

Now something for the archive:

Yes I did my homework and I was searching around for some stuff about
pg and blobs. Just for the archive, I will repeat some of them here.

SELECT lo_export(image.raster, "/tmp/myfile" from image
        WHERE name = 'somename';
(from
http://postgresql.adetti.iscte.pt/mhonarc/pgsql-sql/1999-03/msg00026.html )

and this:
create table images (imgname name,imgoid oid);
insert into images values (`test.gif`,lo_import(`/home/pmount/test.gif`));

--
Boris
http://www.x-itec.de

Re: Blob question -(((

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Boris wrote:

> Here are my questions:
>
> * Are they any limits to the OID Datatype? I need 50-100k per row.

50-100k COLUMNs per row?  Or are you talking about binary files of
50-100K?  You definitely need to use the large object fetaures of
PostgreSQL.

> * Can I do fulltext-search with OID fields (VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!!)?

OIDs are just numbers.  If you are using them for large objects, they are
just 'pointers' to the binary data of a file maintained by the operating
system.  If you need to search, you should design your database with
apprpriate description or keyword fields.

-- Brett
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
Be circumspect in your liaisons with women.  It is better to be seen at
the opera with a man than at mass with a woman.
        -- De Maintenon

Re[2]: Blob question -(((

От
Boris
Дата:
Hello Brett,

Monday, January 01, 2001, 9:09:10 AM, you wrote:

BWM> On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Boris wrote:

>> Here are my questions:
>>
>> * Are they any limits to the OID Datatype? I need 50-100k per row.

BWM> 50-100k COLUMNs per row?  Or are you talking about binary files of
BWM> 50-100K?  You definitely need to use the large object fetaures of
BWM> PostgreSQL.

Yes I need approx 50-100k to store ascii data for later
fulltext-search -((

It looks like as if there is a 8kb limit that can be extended to 32k
per row in src/config.h

But it´s still not enough -((

>> * Can I do fulltext-search with OID fields (VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!!)?

BWM> OIDs are just numbers.  If you are using them for large objects, they are
BWM> just 'pointers' to the binary data of a file maintained by the operating
BWM> system.  If you need to search, you should design your database with

Ahhh interesting to know.

BWM> apprpriate description or keyword fields.

Hmm, nice idea, but there are some more columns with TEXT datatype
storing additional text, too. I can not decentralize all the documents
of all fields - or better said I am not sure.

The 8/32kb limit is not very well -(((

I need 50-100kb per row.  -(((

--
Boris
http://www.x-itec.de

Re: Re[2]: Blob question -(((

От
"Brett W. McCoy"
Дата:
On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Boris wrote:

> BWM> 50-100k COLUMNs per row?  Or are you talking about binary files of
> BWM> 50-100K?  You definitely need to use the large object fetaures of
> BWM> PostgreSQL.
>
> Yes I need approx 50-100k to store ascii data for later
> fulltext-search -((

Ah, now I see.  large objects may not be the solution, if you are storing
text, because it won't be searchable (unless you build up an external
search like mnoGoSearch, but that's really for web stuff).  However, all
is not lost -- you can either break up your text into distinct fields,
like title, author, abstract, text paragraph 1, text paragraph 2, and so
on (this will entail a good bit of analysis and design of proper data
structures on your part), and use the full text search that is in the
contrib directory of the soruce distribution, or you can go the bleeding
edge route and use the beta TOAST project, which will allow one to have
row sizes of greater than the current limitations.  The latter may not be
a good solution for a production database.

See http://postgresql.readysetnet.com/projects/devel-toast.html for more
details on TOAST.

-- Brett
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
How come everyone's going so slow if it's called rush hour?

Turn off referential checks for bulk copy

От
"Huy Do"
Дата:
Is it possible to turn off referential integrity checks
when doing a bulk copy into a database.

I am doing a bulk copy into a database and keep getting
referential integrity errors, which I don't really want
to fix for various reasons (too many, and don't really have
too).

Thanks

Huy

phppgsqladmin?

От
"George Loch"
Дата:
Does a tool exist like the phpmyadmin tool for Pgsql? It is really handy for
mysql.

Thanks

George Loch

Re: phppgsqladmin?

От
Chris
Дата:
>Does a tool exist like the phpmyadmin tool for Pgsql? It is really handy for
>mysql.

Yup, check out http://www.greatbridge.org/project/phppgadmin/projdisplay.php

Chris Smith
http://www.squiz.net