Обсуждение: Time for a new release?

Time for a new release?

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
It's been a while since 9.3-1100, would it be time for a new minor
release? In particular, some VMware people are eager to get the
setQueryTimeout fixes (commit fa078d6390d8b1c95b63cb65a801272c6bce9244)

Is there anything I can do to help with making the release?

- Heikki

Re: Time for a new release?

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
I was thinking this myself. I did realize most of the PR's have been against master, so we have to go back through some of them and backpatch to 9_3

Dave Cramer

It's been a while since 9.3-1100, would it be time for a new minor release? In particular, some VMware people are eager to get the setQueryTimeout fixes (commit fa078d6390d8b1c95b63cb65a801272c6bce9244)

Is there anything I can do to help with making the release?

- Heikki

Re: Time for a new release?

От
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 09:38 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> It's been a while since 9.3-1100, would it be time for a new minor
> release? In particular, some VMware people are eager to get the
> setQueryTimeout fixes (commit
> fa078d6390d8b1c95b63cb65a801272c6bce9244)
>
> Is there anything I can do to help with making the release?

Please note that we are releasing new PG versions next week. It would be
very good if you do the JDBC release just before that, to help the
packagers' lives easier.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Time for a new release?

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Heikki

I just created a PR https://github.com/pgjdbc/pgjdbc/pull/118 which will merge master into 93_STABLE can you look through it to make sure it's sane

Dave Cramer

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 6:20 AM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:

Hi,

On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 09:38 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> It's been a while since 9.3-1100, would it be time for a new minor
> release? In particular, some VMware people are eager to get the
> setQueryTimeout fixes (commit
> fa078d6390d8b1c95b63cb65a801272c6bce9244)
>
> Is there anything I can do to help with making the release?

Please note that we are releasing new PG versions next week. It would be
very good if you do the JDBC release just before that, to help the
packagers' lives easier.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Time for a new release?

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
Looks good to me, except that you don't want to merge the change to bump
the version number to 9.4-X to the REL9_3_STABLE branch.

--
- Heikki

Re: Time for a new release?

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
So what git hub is doing is just checking out REL_9_3_STABLE then merging master . Is there a way to specify where it starts from ?

Dave Cramer

Looks good to me, except that you don't want to merge the change to bump the version number to 9.4-X to the REL9_3_STABLE branch.

merge master into 93_STABLE can you look through it to make sure it's sane

Dave Cramer

It's been a while since 9.3-1100, would it be time for a new minor
release? In particular, some VMware people are eager to get the
setQueryTimeout fixes (commit
fa078d6390d8b1c95b63cb65a801272c6bce9244)

Is there anything I can do to help with making the release?

Please note that we are releasing new PG versions next week. It would be
very good if you do the JDBC release just before that, to help the
packagers' lives easier.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

- Heikki

Re: Time for a new release?

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
nm I figured it out, I can just revert one commit after the merge

[...]

Florian Weimer
Дата:
On 02/13/2014 01:01 PM, Dave Cramer wrote:
> So what git hub is doing is just checking out REL_9_3_STABLE then
> merging master . Is there a way to specify where it starts from ?

You can merge the commit for the version bump without merging the actual
changes, then Git will pick that as the common ancestor.

Re: Time for a new release?

От
Dave Cramer

Dave Cramer

Looks good to me, except that you don't want to merge the change to bump the version number to 9.4-X to the REL9_3_STABLE branch.

merge master into 93_STABLE can you look through it to make sure it's sane

Dave Cramer

It's been a while since 9.3-1100, would it be time for a new minor
release? In particular, some VMware people are eager to get the
setQueryTimeout fixes (commit
fa078d6390d8b1c95b63cb65a801272c6bce9244)

Is there anything I can do to help with making the release?

Please note that we are releasing new PG versions next week. It would be
very good if you do the JDBC release just before that, to help the
packagers' lives easier.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

- Heikki

Re: Time for a new release?

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
Thanks. Can you push the changes to the git repository too, please?

--
- Heikki

Re: Time for a new release?

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Done

Dave Cramer

[...]

Дата:
Here's a patch to the pgjdbc-www project to add to the changelog. I
generated it with:

git log REL9_3_1100..origin/REL9_3_STABLE

It includes all commits, including merge commits and things that don't
really apply to 9.3 stable (opened HEAD for 9.4 development). I don't
think that actually makes much sense, but that seems to be the way the
changelog for other versions have also been generated, and now is not
the time to come up with new processes, as we're trying to get the
release out.

In the future, I think we should write separate release notes, and not
bother publishing the commit log on the website. The commit log is
pretty much unreadable to anyone who's not intimately familiar with both
pgjdbc and the way git merges work. A link to github will do if someone
wants to look at the commit history. But a separately written release
notes, much like the PostgreSQL server project does, would be very
useful. Yes, it requires some effort to write them, but there aren't
that many fixes and features in a pgjdbc release, so it's not too bad.
Oops, I think I just volunteered :-).

- Heikki

Вложения

Re: Time for a new release?

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Heikki

Thanks for the patch and volunteering... One way to deal with this is to annotate the logs with #RELEASE# and then use git log and grep to find the release notes. I've been lazy but it is a very low tech way to achieve the result

Dave Cramer