Обсуждение: executeUpdate API contract. Return value equals 0.

executeUpdate API contract. Return value equals 0.

От
Jeremy Whiting
Дата:
Hi,
 I have seen there have been conversations about the returned value from
executeUpdate when using partitioned tables. This thread places the
issue in the postgres-server court:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/013901c5fad9$1c18c600$ca78a8c0@yawin.yesasia.com

 and another coversation on the pgsql-bugs mailing list that seems to
bat the problem back at the pgjdbc driver :)

 I have written a test case for the driver and made it available on
GitHub. It is compatible with the current testsuit. It is there for you
to consider it's merits and use it if considered useful. I would like to
think it gives this issue visibility.

https://github.com/whitingjr/pgjdbc/tree/partitioned_table_test

 Is the best way to progress this issue is to raise it again on
pgsql-bugs list ?

Regards,
Jeremy

--
Jeremy Whiting
Senior Software Engineer, Middleware Performance Team

Registered Address: Red Hat UK Ltd, 64 Baker Street, 4th Floor, London. W1U 7DF. United Kingdom.
Registered in England and Wales under Company Registration No. 03798903. Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Mark
Hegarty(Ireland), Matt Parson (USA), Charlie Peters (USA)

Re: executeUpdate API contract. Return value equals 0.

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 02/26/2013 09:15 PM, Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> Hi,
>  I have seen there have been conversations about the returned value from
> executeUpdate when using partitioned tables. This thread places the
> issue in the postgres-server court:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/013901c5fad9$1c18c600$ca78a8c0@yawin.yesasia.com
>
>  and another coversation on the pgsql-bugs mailing list that seems to
> bat the problem back at the pgjdbc driver :)
Really? I either didn't see that thread or forgot it. Link?

I don't see how PgJDBC can return rowcounts when trigger-based
partitioning doesn't produce them.

>  I have written a test case for the driver and made it available on
> GitHub. It is compatible with the current testsuit. It is there for you
> to consider it's merits and use it if considered useful. I would like to
> think it gives this issue visibility.
>
> https://github.com/whitingjr/pgjdbc/tree/partitioned_table_test
The test case looks reasonable to me at a quick scan; haven't merged and
run it yet.

Re: executeUpdate API contract. Return value equals 0.

От
Jeremy Whiting
Дата:
On 01/03/13 04:51, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 02/26/2013 09:15 PM, Jeremy Whiting wrote:
>> Hi,
>>  I have seen there have been conversations about the returned value from
>> executeUpdate when using partitioned tables. This thread places the
>> issue in the postgres-server court:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/013901c5fad9$1c18c600$ca78a8c0@yawin.yesasia.com
>>
>>  and another coversation on the pgsql-bugs mailing list that seems to
>> bat the problem back at the pgjdbc driver :)
> Really? I either didn't see that thread or forgot it. Link?
 Sorry for the delay. Tracked down the email thread and I think I have
my facts sightly wrong regarding who said what. The thread was initially
raised in the context of using Hibernate. Hibernate was reporting a problem.
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/000801cd9b5a$12717600$37546200$@radiantblue.com

 Though the cause of the error was attributed to Hibernate by Jaime.
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAJKUy5i6_pxNmvzu+JTXaoWy3eEynNFdrOnGdNPPoh1XbeZmQA@mail.gmail.com

> I don't see how PgJDBC can return rowcounts when trigger-based
> partitioning doesn't produce them.
 So any sanity checks by Hibernate will result in an assertion failure.
>>  I have written a test case for the driver and made it available on
>> GitHub. It is compatible with the current testsuit. It is there for you
>> to consider it's merits and use it if considered useful. I would like to
>> think it gives this issue visibility.
>>
>> https://github.com/whitingjr/pgjdbc/tree/partitioned_table_test
> The test case looks reasonable to me at a quick scan; haven't merged and
> run it yet.

Re: executeUpdate API contract. Return value equals 0.

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 03/05/2013 10:38 PM, Jeremy Whiting wrote:
>> > I don't see how PgJDBC can return rowcounts when trigger-based
>> > partitioning doesn't produce them.
>  So any sanity checks by Hibernate will result in an assertion failure.
Correct, and we know that's ... less than ideal. Unfortunately,
improving it isn't really possible until true partitioning is
implemented in the server to replace the current table inheritance and
trigger based approach.