Обсуждение: Copyright notices

Copyright notices

От
David Fetter
Дата:
Folks,

I noticed in the latest 9.0 tarball, the copyrights haven't been
updated since 2008, even though changes (e.g. the release of the 8.4
and 9.0 drivers ;) have have happened since.

I'd be happy to change those, given access...

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Copyright notices

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Committed,

Thanks

Dave Cramer

dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
http://www.credativ.ca

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 9:02 PM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I noticed in the latest 9.0 tarball, the copyrights haven't been
> updated since 2008, even though changes (e.g. the release of the 8.4
> and 9.0 drivers ;) have have happened since.
>
> I'd be happy to change those, given access...
>
> Cheers,
> David.
> --
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> http://fetter.org/
> Phone: +1 415 235 3778  AIM: dfetter666  Yahoo!: dfetter
> Skype: davidfetter      XMPP: david.fetter@gmail.com
> iCal: webcal://www.tripit.com/feed/ical/people/david74/tripit.ics
>
> Remember to vote!
> Consider donating to Postgres: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Re: Copyright notices

От
Kris Jurka

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Dave Cramer wrote:

> Committed,

The copyright year should not simply be changed to 2011, but instead to a
range.  For example this change:

http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/jdbc/pgjdbc/org/postgresql/jdbc3g/AbstractJdbc3gConnection.java?r1=1.1&r2=1.2

Should change 2008 to "2008-2011".

Kris Jurka

Re: Copyright notices

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Kris,

Thanks for catching that, will fix.

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Dave Cramer wrote:
>
>> Committed,
>>

> The copyright year should not simply be changed to 2011, but instead to a
> range.  For example this change:

http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/jdbc/pgjdbc/org/postgresql/jdbc3g/AbstractJdbc3gConnection.java?r1=1.1&r2=1.2

> Should change 2008 to "2008-2011".
>
> Kris Jurka

Re: Copyright notices

От
David Fetter
Дата:
Great!

Any chance of new jars with this included?  I'm asking because
$employer is exacting about these things, and others may be, too.

Just out of curiosity, who is "Open Cloud Limited," and have they
assigned copyright to PGDG?

Cheers,
David.
On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 10:16:08AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> Kris,
>
> Thanks for catching that, will fix.
>
> Dave Cramer
>
> dave.cramer(at)credativ(dot)ca
> http://www.credativ.ca
>

> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Dave Cramer wrote:
> >
> >> Committed,
> >>

> > The copyright year should not simply be changed to 2011, but instead to a
> > range.  For example this change:

http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/jdbc/pgjdbc/org/postgresql/jdbc3g/AbstractJdbc3gConnection.java?r1=1.1&r2=1.2

> > Should change 2008 to "2008-2011".
> >
> > Kris Jurka

Remember to vote!

Re: Copyright notices

От
Kris Jurka

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Dave Cramer wrote:

> Thanks for catching that, will fix.

Still doesn't look quite right.  Files added post-2008 haven't been
updated.  For example:

http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/jdbc/pgjdbc/org/postgresql/core/v3/CopyOutImpl.java?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

The main source tree has a script to do this that I've used in the past
which seems like it would work better than what I'm guessing is your
manual approach.  See:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/tools/copyright;h=b0d61e1974e4f1a22a441a935d6da119706f5629;hb=89df948ec26679e09f71baf6bbb9b06f9d329712

Kris Jurka

Re: Copyright notices

От
Kris Jurka

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, David Fetter wrote:

> Any chance of new jars with this included?  I'm asking because
> $employer is exacting about these things, and others may be, too.

What would a new JAR accomplish?  The binary won't be any different
because of a comment change.

> Just out of curiosity, who is "Open Cloud Limited," and have they
> assigned copyright to PGDG?

Open Cloud is the company Oliver Jowett works for and sponsored part of
his work on the driver.  They have not assigned copyright and the JDBC
team has not asked for it because that's not a policy of ours.

Kris Jurka

Re: Copyright notices

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
There are also a few files with no copyright.

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Dave Cramer wrote:
>
>> Thanks for catching that, will fix.
>>

> Still doesn't look quite right.  Files added post-2008 haven't been
> updated.  For example:

http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/jdbc/pgjdbc/org/postgresql/core/v3/CopyOutImpl.java?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

> The main source tree has a script to do this that I've used in the past
> which seems like it would work better than what I'm guessing is your
> manual approach.  See:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/tools/copyright;h=b0d61e1974e4f1a22a441a935d6da119706f5629;hb=89df948ec26679e09f71baf6bbb9b06f9d329712

> Kris Jurka

Re: Copyright notices

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 12:10:17PM -0400, Kris Jurka wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, David Fetter wrote:
>
> > Any chance of new jars with this included?  I'm asking because
> > $employer is exacting about these things, and others may be, too.
>
> What would a new JAR accomplish?  The binary won't be any different
> because of a comment change.

It could only really matter in places where the copyright could show
up in the output.  I'll see whether I can find such places...

> > Just out of curiosity, who is "Open Cloud Limited," and have they
> > assigned copyright to PGDG?
> >

> Open Cloud is the company Oliver Jowett works for and sponsored part
> of his work on the driver.  They have not assigned copyright and the
> JDBC team has not asked for it because that's not a policy of ours.

OK, thanks for clarifying.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Copyright notices

От
Kris Jurka

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Dave Cramer wrote:

> There are also a few files with no copyright.

Unfortunately your latest commit has not cleared up all the problems.  See
this commit for example.  It changed 2009 -> 2008-2011.  It should be
2009-2011.

http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/jdbc/pgjdbc/org/postgresql/copy/PGCopyOutputStream.java?r1=1.1&r2=1.2

Kris Jurka

Re: Copyright notices

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
Well, I'm stuck with manually updating as OS X does not have the pipe
command. Is there a way around that?
I'll update this last one, hopefully there aren't any others.

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 3:03 AM, Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Dave Cramer wrote:
>
>> There are also a few files with no copyright.
>>

> Unfortunately your latest commit has not cleared up all the problems.  See
> this commit for example.  It changed 2009 -> 2008-2011.  It should be
> 2009-2011.
>
> http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/jdbc/pgjdbc/org/postgresql/copy/PGCopyOutputStream.java?r1=1.1&r2=1.2
>
> Kris Jurka

Re: Copyright notices

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 08:57:35AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> Well, I'm stuck with manually updating as OS X does not have the
> pipe command.  Is there a way around that?

Um, what?  I use | all the time on OS X.  What in particular did you
try that failed, and how did it fail?

> I'll update this last one, hopefully there aren't any others.

Thanks!

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Copyright notices

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
David,

If you look at the copyright utility in the postgresql tools directory
you will see that it uses two commands that do not exist on a Mac, one
is rgrep, this is fixable using grep -r. The second is "pipe" for
which I could not find a work around

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 11:04 AM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 08:57:35AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
>> Well, I'm stuck with manually updating as OS X does not have the
>> pipe command.  Is there a way around that?
>
> Um, what?  I use | all the time on OS X.  What in particular did you
> try that failed, and how did it fail?
>
>> I'll update this last one, hopefully there aren't any others.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
> David.
> --
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> http://fetter.org/
> Phone: +1 415 235 3778  AIM: dfetter666  Yahoo!: dfetter
> Skype: davidfetter      XMPP: david.fetter@gmail.com
> iCal: webcal://www.tripit.com/feed/ical/people/david74/tripit.ics
>
> Remember to vote!
> Consider donating to Postgres: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Re: Copyright notices

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 11:06:32AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> David,
>
> If you look at the copyright utility in the postgresql tools
> directory you will see that it uses two commands that do not exist
> on a Mac, one is rgrep, this is fixable using grep -r. The second is
> "pipe" for which I could not find a work around

I'm redoing the program in Perl because Perl's everywhere, and it
doesn't depend on silliness like this.  Will send the patch to
-hackers soon, and cc you :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Copyright notices

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 04:52:36PM +0100, Chris Wareham wrote:
> On 08/03/2011 04:32 PM, David Fetter wrote:
> >On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 11:06:32AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> >>David,
> >>
> >>If you look at the copyright utility in the postgresql tools
> >>directory you will see that it uses two commands that do not exist
> >>on a Mac, one is rgrep, this is fixable using grep -r. The second
> >>is "pipe" for which I could not find a work around
> >
> >I'm redoing the program in Perl because Perl's everywhere, and it
> >doesn't depend on silliness like this.  Will send the patch to
> >-hackers soon, and cc you :)
> >
> >Cheers,
> >David.
>
> Perl isn't everywhere

It's required for PostgreSQL builds, and has been for years, so I
really have very little interest in all the places it's not.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Copyright notices

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 05:45:03PM +0100, Chris Wareham wrote:
> On 08/03/2011 05:26 PM, David Fetter wrote:
> >On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 04:52:36PM +0100, Chris Wareham wrote:
> >>
> >>Perl isn't everywhere
> >
> >It's required for PostgreSQL builds, and has been for years, so I
> >really have very little interest in all the places it's not.
> >

> Hi David,
>
> Perl isn't required to either build or run PostgreSQL on NetBSD and
> FreeBSD:

Pardon my imprecision.

It's required on developer machines, i.e. ones where someone might
make changes to the source and push same.  See all the perl tools in
the PostgreSQL source for examples.

I am just fine with the Perl requirement for a tool like this, and
nit-picking does not make you look good.  Please stop.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Copyright notices

От
Chris Wareham
Дата:
On 08/03/2011 04:32 PM, David Fetter wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 11:06:32AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> If you look at the copyright utility in the postgresql tools
>> directory you will see that it uses two commands that do not exist
>> on a Mac, one is rgrep, this is fixable using grep -r. The second is
>> "pipe" for which I could not find a work around
>
> I'm redoing the program in Perl because Perl's everywhere, and it
> doesn't depend on silliness like this.  Will send the patch to
> -hackers soon, and cc you :)
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Perl isn't everywhere - it's not installed by default on NetBSD or
FreeBSD for example. The best approach is to assume the command line
tools and their features specified by the POSIX standards, which should
work on all modern Unix-ish operating systems. I've not been following
this thread too closely, but if you let me know what you're trying to
accomplish then I should be able to come up with something that will
work across Linux, NetBSD and Mac OS X (the systems I can test with
here).

Regards,

Chris

Re: Copyright notices

От
Chris Wareham
Дата:
On 08/03/2011 05:26 PM, David Fetter wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 04:52:36PM +0100, Chris Wareham wrote:
>>
>> Perl isn't everywhere
>
> It's required for PostgreSQL builds, and has been for years, so I
> really have very little interest in all the places it's not.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Hi David,

Perl isn't required to either build or run PostgreSQL on NetBSD and
FreeBSD:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/current/pkgsrc/databases/postgresql90-client/README.html
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/current/pkgsrc/databases/postgresql90-server/README.html

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/databases.html#postgresql-server-9.0.1_2
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/databases.html#postgresql-client-9.0.1_1

I'm running PgSQL 9.0 on a number of *BSD machines at work, where it
was built from source, and the machines have never had Perl installed
on them.

Regards,

Chris