Обсуждение: JDBC 4 support

JDBC 4 support

От
Steve Ebersole
Дата:
The download page[1] still lists JDBC 4 support as "limited" saying that
"the majority of new methods are stubbed out".  Is that really still the
case?  How far off is complete JDBC 4 support?

1] http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html

--
Steve Ebersole <steve@hibernate.org>
Hibernate.org

Re: JDBC 4 support

От
Kris Jurka

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Steve Ebersole wrote:

> The download page[1] still lists JDBC 4 support as "limited" saying that
> "the majority of new methods are stubbed out".  Is that really still the
> case?  How far off is complete JDBC 4 support?

Tough to say without going through each JDBC 4 feature.  The note you
mention is certainly old, but there are still significant JDBC4
requirements that haven't been implemented (Wrapper support, specific
exceptions, ...).

Is there anything in particular that you're interested in?

Kris Jurka

Re: JDBC 4 support

От
Steve Ebersole
Дата:
Thanks for the reply.  Its more of a general question.

I am looking at adding JDBC4 (JDK1.6) support to Hibernate.  So the
question came up about whether to drop JDBC3 support or whether to
support both JDBC3 and JDBC4 simultaneously.  Moving to JDBC4
exclusively is largely a function of how well we thought JDBC4/JDK1.6 is
supported both in the various environments as well by the various JDBC
drivers.

Sun's JDK 1.5 is nearing the end of its EOL transition and set to reach
ESOL Oct 31.  So in the ideal world (since the release I am targeting
here is November) we would simply drop support for it...

--
Steve Ebersole <steve@hibernate.org>
Hibernate.org

Re: JDBC 4 support

От
Dave Cramer
Дата:
So what functionality of JDBC4 do you need/want for hibernate ?

Dave

--
Steve Ebersole <steve@hibernate.org>
Hibernate.org

Re: JDBC 4 support

От
Maciek Sakrejda
Дата:
I think if your main concern is running the same jdbc3g code under
jdbc4, that's not a problem--we've been using the driver compiled as
both jdbc3g and jdbc4 for a long time and haven't had a single issue.
I believe it's the new jdbc4 features that are stubbed out.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Steve Ebersole <steve@hibernate.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.  Its more of a general question.
>
> I am looking at adding JDBC4 (JDK1.6) support to Hibernate.  So the
> question came up about whether to drop JDBC3 support or whether to
> support both JDBC3 and JDBC4 simultaneously.  Moving to JDBC4
> exclusively is largely a function of how well we thought JDBC4/JDK1.6 is
> supported both in the various environments as well by the various JDBC
> drivers.
>
> Sun's JDK 1.5 is nearing the end of its EOL transition and set to reach
> ESOL Oct 31.  So in the ideal world (since the release I am targeting
> here is November) we would simply drop support for it...
>

> On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 10:07 -0400, Kris Jurka wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Steve Ebersole wrote:
>>
>> > The download page[1] still lists JDBC 4 support as "limited" saying that
>> > "the majority of new methods are stubbed out".  Is that really still the
>> > case?  How far off is complete JDBC 4 support?
>> >

>> Tough to say without going through each JDBC 4 feature.  The note you
>> mention is certainly old, but there are still significant JDBC4
>> requirements that haven't been implemented (Wrapper support, specific
>> exceptions, ...).
>>
>> Is there anything in particular that you're interested in?
>>
>> Kris Jurka
> --
> Steve Ebersole <steve@hibernate.org>
> Hibernate.org

Maciek Sakrejda | Software Engineer | Truviso

1065 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Suite 230
Foster City, CA 94404
(650) 242-3500 Main
(650) 242-3516 T
(510) 717-5398 M
(650) 242-3501 F
msakrejda@truviso.com
www.truviso.com

Re: JDBC 4 support

От
Maciek Sakrejda
Дата:
Right, so going back to Kris' original question--what jdbc4 features
do you need specifically? I know just enough about Hibernate to be
dangerous, so excuse the stupid question, but does Hibernate actually
expose a given driver's jdbc API to users (i.e., you need to provide
the full feature set)?

--
Maciek Sakrejda | Software Engineer | Truviso

1065 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Suite 230
Foster City, CA 94404
(650) 242-3500 Main
(650) 242-3516 T
(510) 717-5398 M
(650) 242-3501 F
msakrejda@truviso.com
www.truviso.com

Re: JDBC 4 support

От
Steve Ebersole
Дата:
Internally Hibernate needs very little.

I'd like to take advantage of Connection#createBlob,
Connection#createClob and Connection#createNClob (we do not really offer
built in support for the new SQLXML type, so we wont be binding to
Connection#createSQLXML(), etc, though of course users might want to as
an extension).

I'd like to be able to leverage the new exception hierarchy.

For everything else, its really just a curiosity about what the user can
reasonably expect in terms of portability.

On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 11:37 -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> So what functionality of JDBC4 do you need/want for hibernate ?
>
> Dave
>
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Steve Ebersole <steve@hibernate.org>
> wrote:
>         Thanks for the reply.  Its more of a general question.
>
>         I am looking at adding JDBC4 (JDK1.6) support to Hibernate.
>          So the
>         question came up about whether to drop JDBC3 support or
>         whether to
>         support both JDBC3 and JDBC4 simultaneously.  Moving to JDBC4
>         exclusively is largely a function of how well we thought
>         JDBC4/JDK1.6 is
>         supported both in the various environments as well by the
>         various JDBC
>         drivers.
>
>         Sun's JDK 1.5 is nearing the end of its EOL transition and set
>         to reach
>         ESOL Oct 31.  So in the ideal world (since the release I am
>         targeting
>         here is November) we would simply drop support for it...
>

>         On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 10:07 -0400, Kris Jurka wrote:
>         >
>         > On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Steve Ebersole wrote:
>         >
>         > > The download page[1] still lists JDBC 4 support as
>         "limited" saying that
>         > > "the majority of new methods are stubbed out".  Is that
>         really still the
>         > > case?  How far off is complete JDBC 4 support?
>         > >
>         >
>         > Tough to say without going through each JDBC 4 feature.  The
>         note you
>         > mention is certainly old, but there are still significant
>         JDBC4
>         > requirements that haven't been implemented (Wrapper support,
>         specific
>         > exceptions, ...).
>         >
>         > Is there anything in particular that you're interested in?
>         >
>         > Kris Jurka
>         --
>
>         Steve Ebersole <steve@hibernate.org>
>         Hibernate.org
>

>         --

Steve Ebersole <steve@hibernate.org>
Hibernate.org

Re: JDBC 4 support

От
Steve Ebersole
Дата:
That's true as long as your code does not bind to any new JDBC4
methods...

On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 08:40 -0700, Maciek Sakrejda wrote:
> I think if your main concern is running the same jdbc3g code under
> jdbc4, that's not a problem--we've been using the driver compiled as
> both jdbc3g and jdbc4 for a long time and haven't had a single issue.
> I believe it's the new jdbc4 features that are stubbed out.
>
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Steve Ebersole <steve@hibernate.org> wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply.  Its more of a general question.
> >
> > I am looking at adding JDBC4 (JDK1.6) support to Hibernate.  So the
> > question came up about whether to drop JDBC3 support or whether to
> > support both JDBC3 and JDBC4 simultaneously.  Moving to JDBC4
> > exclusively is largely a function of how well we thought JDBC4/JDK1.6 is
> > supported both in the various environments as well by the various JDBC
> > drivers.
> >
> > Sun's JDK 1.5 is nearing the end of its EOL transition and set to reach
> > ESOL Oct 31.  So in the ideal world (since the release I am targeting
> > here is November) we would simply drop support for it...

> >> Tough to say without going through each JDBC 4 feature.  The note you
> >> mention is certainly old, but there are still significant JDBC4
> >> requirements that haven't been implemented (Wrapper support, specific
> >> exceptions, ...).
> >>
> >> Is there anything in particular that you're interested in?
> >>
> >> Kris Jurka
> > --
> > Steve Ebersole <steve@hibernate.org>
> > Hibernate.org
> >

> > --

Steve Ebersole <steve@hibernate.org>
Hibernate.org

Re: JDBC 4 support

От
Steve Ebersole
So first hurdle:

Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Method
org.postgresql.jdbc4.Jdbc4Connection.createBlob() is not yet
implemented.

Same for createClob and createNClob